Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hendy16)
    i dont understand...so would start the question as if it was murder then when you get to MR change and start talking bout invol m/s? we've never been taught this structure im sooo scared incase a question like this comes up!! I have a feeling they're gonna put something in to completely throw us
    It is a possibility they will.
    My law teacher went to an exam board meeting with AQA and the head examiner said there was a possibility that everything may be different.
    Even though there is 2 options, they may both be on murder, or both be on involuntary manslaughter, leaving us with no choice.
    However, i am still only revising murder(+ diminished responsibility and provocation)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonieIV)
    Provocation/diminished responsibility = voluntary manslaughter.

I don't know, wouldn't have thought that would come up in an involuntary manslaughter question. That would be asking a lot!
    Yeah I know it's for voluntary manslaughter. But vol manslaughter isn't a crime you can be convicted of and is just what your conviction of murder is reduced to if evidence of provocation or diminished responsibility is successful. Therefore I meant that if there was a murder in the scenario then they would probably have an issue of provocation or DR, right? And yeah it's loads to write if they ask about involuntary in the same question!! I guess they may want you to only talk about one of the partial defences rather than two. If I'm expected to write about murder with provocation, DR and then an involuntary manslaughter all in one 25 marker, I'll cry.

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand...so would start the question as if it was murder then when you get to MR change and start talking bout invol m/s? we've never been taught this structure im sooo scared incase a question like this comes up!! I have a feeling they're gonna put something in to completely throw us
    Yes, well you would just completely forget about the invol m/s for the minute. You would take it as a murder question but when you get to the MR you have to say that there is no intent to kill/cause serious harm then say "...x could not be charged with murder therefore he may be liable for unlawful act m/s" If this did come up the marks would drop severly so its unlikely they would do this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by withintemptation)
    It is a possibility they will.
    My law teacher went to an exam board meeting with AQA and the head examiner said there was a possibility that everything may be different.
    Even though there is 2 options, they may both be on murder, or both be on involuntary manslaughter, leaving us with no choice.
    However, i am still only revising murder(+ diminished responsibility and provocation)
    aww man! I'm only revsing muder plus prov and dimished in detail and i sort of know invol m/s but if it came up I wouldn't be able to get an A which i need!! Oh i wish this was over, I only feel confident about the non-fatals because we done them at AS .

ReputationRep:
    aww man! I'm only revsing muder plus prov and dimished in detail and i sort of know invol m/s but if it came up I wouldn't be able to get an A which i need!! Oh i wish this was over, I only feel confident about the non-fatals because we done them at AS .
    I haven't even looked at it so im just hoping it doesn't come up and i can choose murder!
    I haven't even started component C yet. I feel there is just generally way too much to learn for this exam, and apparently the June one is even worse. :|

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even looked at it so im just hoping it doesn't come up and i can choose murder!
    I haven't even started component C yet. I feel there is just generally way too much to learn for this exam, and apparently the June one is even worse. :|
    The june one must be worse cos its 2hours!!

ReputationRep:
    The june one must be worse cos its 2hours!!
    :| i didn't even know it was 2 hours in June!
    my teacher just said to everyone that the prospect of sitting both this exam and the June one in the summer. (as in resitting)
    would be the worst possible scenario.
    i just hope this was doesnt go totally wrong

ReputationRep:
    June exam has so much more I hate tort and all that stuff and there'll be scenarios again for us to apply tort questions to I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    June exam has so much more I hate tort and all that stuff and there'll be scenarios again for us to apply tort questions to I think
    oh no. i hope we dont need to remember any of the tort from last year.
    i cant remember any of that at all.

ReputationRep:
    By the way thanks for explaining the causation thing, u are write about that.

Guys, if we get a question saying murder and involuntory, if the scenario is clearly involuntory manslaughter, then u say murder will fail becouse its a crime of specific intend (Lipman) then u go talk about involuntory. You dont have to explain both of them.

ReputationRep:
    oh no. i hope we dont need to remember any of the tort from last year.
    i cant remember any of that at all.
    I think we do!! I can't remember a thing :mmm: my teacher wants us to being in our Unit 2 notes in on Monday to start the unit! Haas I can't remember anything!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Apparently, instead of the evaluation essays, next time it's 'law and morals' essays. Fun.:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonieIV)
    Apparently, instead of the evaluation essays, next time it's 'law and morals' essays. Fun.:o:
    Oh yeah we briefly looked at this at the end of AS but don't know it because we had about... one lesson on it and haven't looked at it since!! Oh myyyyy goshhhh I have so much to learn! Learning involuntary manslaughter too just incase it's mixed with a murder question as it has been in the past, I have all of section C to learn and also three defences

I'm getting confused with all these definitions like the definition for an abnormality of mind and disease of mind. I've a feeling I'll mix it up how's your revision going??

ReputationRep:
    Ok I am really really confused now. So there is a possibility that 1b and 2b could both be on involuntary manslaughter? My teacher hasn't taught us anything on involuntary manslaughter!!!!!!!!! im so stressed, i just don't know what the hell is going on with this exam. We all seem to have been told conflicting things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Oh yeah we briefly looked at this at the end of AS but don't know it because we had about... one lesson on it and haven't looked at it since!! Oh myyyyy goshhhh I have so much to learn! Learning involuntary manslaughter too just incase it's mixed with a murder question as it has been in the past, I have all of section C to learn and also three defences

I'm getting confused with all these definitions like the definition for an abnormality of mind and disease of mind. I've a feeling I'll mix it up how's your revision going??
    Oh! You're learning involuntary? But planning on doing the murder question? Well, on this paper someone earlier pointed out, straightforward murder was on the question 1. Involuntary asks about murder on question 2. It was also a Law 4 exam (the old specification.)

I'm trying to learn all my cases! I swear I've got about 150 to learn! Hopefully, I can remember all the elements to each defence.

With abnormality, I'm using the definition from Byrne ("Abnormality of mind means a state of mind so different from that of ordinary human beings that the reasonable man would term it abnormal.") Then listing examples of it from cases.

Then disease of mind, all I have to say for that one is that it's a physical disease, not brought on by external factors like drink or drugs. Medically irrelevant. Can be a permanent or temporary state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow1992)
    Ok I am really really confused now. So there is a possibility that 1b and 2b could both be on involuntary manslaughter? My teacher hasn't taught us anything on involuntary manslaughter!!!!!!!!! im so stressed, i just don't know what the hell is going on with this exam. We all seem to have been told conflicting things.
    Don't worry!

You choose which question/scenario you want to do. And it's basically going to be question 1: Murder. 2: Involuntary. Then you pick the one you've revised.

This exam hasn't been done before. The specimen paper has it in the style I just said. But the questions in specimen paper don't say "criminal liability for murder" or "criminal liability for involuntary", they just say "Discuss the criminal liability of Andy" and you have to read through the scenario first to work out what questions are murder and what will be involuntary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow1992)
    A lot of teachers (including mine) used to take the short cut of only teaching either involuntary manslaughter or murder.
    This was because murder was ALWAYS guaranteed to be on the paper in some form or another.

Some teachers (possibly yours) didnt attend the recent meeting with the exam board and therefore have no been informed that it is possible that murder may not be on the paper at all. The only teachers that apparently were informed about this were those at the meeting. Apparently it is a way to catch out those teachers who take the short cut. :/

Obviously. This puts us taking the exam at a major disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    ahh dreading this exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I think we do!! I can't remember a thing :mmm: my teacher wants us to being in our Unit 2 notes in on Monday to start the unit! Haas I can't remember anything!!
    you lucky bugger getting to start it on monday!!! i have a law lesson straight after my exam and thats when we are starting the tort stuff

ReputationRep:
    A lot of teachers (including mine) used to take the short cut of only teaching either involuntary manslaughter or murder.
    This was because murder was ALWAYS guaranteed to be on the paper in some form or another.

Some teachers (possibly yours) didnt attend the recent meeting with the exam board and therefore have no been informed that it is possible that murder may not be on the paper at all. The only teachers that apparently were informed about this were those at the meeting. Apparently it is a way to catch out those teachers who take the short cut. :/

Obviously. This puts us taking the exam at a major disadvantage.
    Oh god. Recent meeting?

Isn't it a bit short notice to be holding a meeting about what is going to be on the exam.

And my teacher never went to a meeting.

(Original post by .x.sketch.x.)
    you lucky bugger getting to start it on monday!!! i have a law lesson straight after my exam and thats when we are starting the tort stuff
    I have a law lesson straight after too! But we all asked if we could have the day off after the exam and he said yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.