The Student Room Group
Assuming you are working additively, to find the inverse of 19 (mod 43), you want to solve

19 + x = 43 = 0 (mod 43) (and I'll let you work that one out for yourself :wink: )

As to 19x=17 (mod 43), I would be lazy and do it by trial and error.
Reply 2
NegativeEpsilon
Assuming you are working additively, to find the inverse of 19 (mod 43), you want to solve

19 + x = 43 = 0 (mod 43) (and I'll let you work that one out for yourself :wink: )

As to 19x=17 (mod 43), I would be lazy and do it by trial and error.

Yes I know thow that but, how do you solve

-19+x=43=0(mod43)?

I'm a idiot, need more help.
Reply 3
Is the second question supposed to follow on from the first? If so, you need the multiplicative inverse!

If you want the additive inverse I'm sure you can find a number x such that 19 + x = 43 as NegativeEpsilon says!!
Reply 4
davros
Is the second question supposed to follow on from the first? If so, you need the multiplicative inverse!

If you want the additive inverse I'm sure you can find a number x such that 19 + x = 43 as NegativeEpsilon says!!

x=23?

Yes they are the same question.

Hmm, how do you do that?
Reply 5
As far as I am aware, you need to use an algorithm to find a modular multiplicative inverse.
If you have a Casio natural display calculator with a table function, I can tell you how to do it on that. Otherwise just search for a website that can do it for you (or make your own program)
Reply 6
Simplicity
x=23?

Yes they are the same question.

Hmm, how do you do that?

To find the multiplicative inverse, you need to find a number a such that

19a=1 mod 43

Just use trial and error to find a.
Reply 7
19a = 1 mod 43 <=> 19a+43x = 1 (Hint: Euclidean algorithm)
aops has a huge section on mod arithmetic if you have a look perhaps you will benefit?
Reply 9
SimonM
19a = 1 mod 43 <=> 19a+43x = 1 (Hint: Euclidean algorithm)

Hmm, thanks. But, lol how can you solve 19a+43x=1.

So a=-9, which is a=34?

Can you do that, as I was under the impression that -9=32(mod43)?

DeanK22
aops has a huge section on mod arithmetic if you have a look perhaps you will benefit?

I will look through the website to find some.
Simplicity
Hmm, thanks. But, lol how can you solve 19a+43x=1

Euclidean Algorithm, as the hint suggested :p:

43 = 19.2 + 5
19 = 5.3 + 4

etc.

Latest