Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

a levels for medicine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi, i want to take maths biology chemistry and physics at a-level. but i also want to take a 5th subject. what do you think is what will be regarded by universities, as good, in particular if someone wants to take medicine in uni.

ReputationRep:
    what is a good a level to take alongside maths, biology, chemistry and physics? i wanna do medicine at uni

ReputationRep:
    No more...

ReputationRep:
    Further maths is the most common one to do as a 5th but do you really need to do 5? You're obviously capable of doing 5 but you may find unless there is one you really want to do it's not worth it, as it involves a lot more work than just doing 4. Personally I would pick a slightly different subject to sciences to give a bit of a varierty.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say focus on getting 4As in those, and instead of doing another subject focus on getting work experience and general stuff to put on your personal statement and whatnot.

This would probably be more beneficial than doing a 5th A level in an arts subject or something. Not just for your UCAS application but also the more experience you get the better idea you'll have of what medicine is about, and whether it's really for you.

Having said that, if you really want to do a 5th one make sure it's something you're interested in. I think a lot of A level ethics/philosophy courses have modules in medical ethics, so might be worth checking out i guess since that could be related.

ReputationRep:
    I do the above at A2 Level and did it at AS too alongside something called the Welsh Baccalaureate.

It's worth 5 A-levels overall but is a lot of work and not really necessesary.

Only do the above if you enjoy them, it's a lot of hard work for no reason, otherwise.

Also, there is no need to do 5, 4 is perfectly fine for AS and 3 is perfectly fine for A2.

Check out the TSR Medicine Wiki and www.medschoolsonline.co.uk

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    further maths would probably be the easiest as well it makes normal maths soo easy it pretty much stops counting as a subject. and theres no additional coursework
    possibly not the best choice for medicine though, although i imagine one of the ones which will increase your workload the least

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to take both maths and pysics take one or the other or you will look boring take a essay type subject or language. I agree with moley89 about the philosopy that would also be a good choice. You dopn't need a fith subject its just too much stress.

ReputationRep:
    They might take note of the further maths if it's an extra A level to the requirements, but most medschools don't accept it as one of the grades they want, if you did maths anyway.

Anyway making sure you get 4 As and using the time you would need for the 5th subject to get work experience would probably be more beneficial for a medicine application than a 5th subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibaba-_-94)
    hi, i want to take maths biology chemistry and physics at a-level. but i also want to take a 5th subject. what do you think is what will be regarded by universities, as good, in particular if someone wants to take medicine in uni.
    I think maths, biology, chemistry and physics are more than enough. But for medicine maybe psychology would be useful if you really want to take a 5th subject...

ReputationRep:
    Don't take another one, the ones you have chosen are perfect for Medicine. Concentrate on getting 4 A's.

ReputationRep:
    what is a good a level to take alongside maths, biology, chemistry and physics? i wanna do medicine at an excellent uni, like Imperial College, London. do i really have to take a 5th to get into this uni for medicine..?

ReputationRep:
    No, you are a fool for thinking that. Do extra curriculum activities, and loads of work experiance, Trust me i have been through the system. The smartest dont make the best doctors.......

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.