Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I finsihed my secondary school in Germany last year, applied to a couple of unis in GB to study philosophy, politics and economics and eventually got two offers, one from Swansea University and one from Uni of Hull.

And now there's the big question approaching: which of these two should i choose?

I now considered it as a good idea to gather some information on your opinion of those two unis, especially because I might not be able to visit both of them as I'm working full-time at the moment. Hence, I would appreciate it very much to get some pros and cons, evaluations or any other usefull information from you. Do you wanna help me?

Thank you for your help!
    And please don't let yourself be bothered by potential mistakes in my English

cheers,
    André

ReputationRep:
    I have't been to Swansea but I'm hoping to get an offer from there this year, it sounds like a good place. Hull is ok, I have visited the uni and the city. It has everything you would need like a decent city centre for shopping and nighlife, quite a nice campus and reasonable accommodation, but the city is a bit run down so could be a bit depressing at times. People there tend to be nice and friendly though. It also has a low cost of living. It's supposed to have a very good politics department, not sure about the other 2 subjects though.

Overall, I'd say go for Swansea because of the location, but it's not such an informed decision as I haven't actually seen Swansea.

ReputationRep:
    I myself study pee at essex hull is a little more reputable but swansea is one of the nicest unis I have ever looked at.

its on the sea
    the unis houses are nice the town is nice the perople are nice

hull has a little bit reputation but imo swansea would be the choice

ReputationRep:
    In Hull you will get stabbed.

ReputationRep:
    Hull's mint. The city isn't really run down - it's being constantly redeveloped and improved and they've just joined the bus and train station to makea transport interchange and put a nice shopping centre next to it with a cinema and a 24 hour tesco and it has some great shops in it + places to eat and whatnot and that's in addition to the prospect centre and princes quay (which are both great shopping centres)

The University isn't in the city, it's on the outskirts but you can get the bus or walk into town easily and cheaply. The university have an arrangement with the local bus company for cheaper transport for students which is really good.

Hulls politics department is very highly regarded and some courses even allow you to do a years placement at Westminster!

The campus is really nice, has open grassy areas and plenty of different places to grab food or coffee. The library has 7 floors (you can see the whole campus from the top) and it secure because you need your student card to get in (unlike some uni's where people can just wander in off the streets)

Living costs are low but it's a great place to be. And if it matters to you Swansea is an ex-poly, which some people regard as being a lesser class of university than non ex-poly's (like Hull)

Transport links are excellent - just a train ride away from Scarborough, Bridlington, York, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Meadowhall (amazing shopping centre). and if you book in advance and travel off peak train tickets to London are only £10 each way - which is FANTASTIC value and they're even cheaper if you have a railcard

I see no downside
    Overall I'd say Hull

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoody555)
    In Hull you will get stabbed.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    And if it matters to you Swansea is an ex-poly, which some people regard as being a lesser class of university than non ex-poly's (like Hull)
    Are you sure it's an ex-poly? Not saying you're wrong but I didn't know it was. Looked on wiki and it says established 1920, was just a university college then but dunno if it counts as ex-poly or not :confused:

ReputationRep:
    In Hull you get these type of people:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sandeep90]In Hull you get these type of people:

[/QUOTE

That's alright then. If only all chavs were like Devvo.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

First of all, thanks for all your replies.
    First thing I was wondering about after all your posts: Is Hull City really that bad? I mean, we also got some trouble down here in Germany with kinda chavs, but would you consider it as such a big issue to be a real criterion concerning the decision where to study?

I would rather go for the university with the better education standard, the better job prospects and the better "learning environment" as the tution fees are quite a lot for me, so i don't wanna just waste my money with only having a good time. I would appreciate a decent student life as well, though.

My (first) impression of Swansea was, that it seems to be quite a nice place to spend your time, but teaching standards (in humanities) aren't very high, and not very renowned. Whilst Hull is more strong in the subjects related to PPE.

So is Swansea just party and a nice experience or can you also achieve a comparatively good degree?

And is Hull a place where you better lock yourself in your room, learning all day, praying not to get beaten up by some chavs or has it got adequate opportunities of clubbing etc. as well?

ReputationRep:
    I think if you think Hull is significantly better academically then the city isn't so bad that you should let it put you off. It has some pretty bad areas but the part where the uni campus and the accommodation is, just outside Hull, isn't too bad at all, and the city centre isn't bad either. You could definitely have a good student life there I think, it is certainly decent for clubbing and stuff, and the added bonus of cheap living costs is great

ReputationRep:
    Swansea University is certainly not an ex-poly.

ReputationRep:
    Hull is ranked 12th for politics. 24th for philosophy and 34th for economics.
    Swansea is ranked 45th for politics.it isnt even ranked for philosophy and 35th for economics

Hull's education standard is obviously higher than swansea and i believe hull is more respected. A friend of mine goes to hull and i have been to hull several times. The city isnt bad at all, i didnt see one chav in the 4 days i was there, mainly due to the fact the uni is located in the "posh" area of hull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <André>)
    Hey guys!

First of all, thanks for all your replies.
    First thing I was wondering about after all your posts: Is Hull City really that bad? I mean, we also got some trouble down here in Germany with kinda chavs, but would you consider it as such a big issue to be a real criterion concerning the decision where to study?

I would rather go for the university with the better education standard, the better job prospects and the better "learning environment" as the tution fees are quite a lot for me, so i don't wanna just waste my money with only having a good time. I would appreciate a decent student life as well, though.

My (first) impression of Swansea was, that it seems to be quite a nice place to spend your time, but teaching standards (in humanities) aren't very high, and not very renowned. Whilst Hull is more strong in the subjects related to PPE.

So is Swansea just party and a nice experience or can you also achieve a comparatively good degree?

And is Hull a place where you better lock yourself in your room, learning all day, praying not to get beaten up by some chavs or has it got adequate opportunities of clubbing etc. as well?
    I live in Swansea now, and I used to stay in Hull alot. So out of the 2 cities, I think Swansea is the better one for living, and the city centre is great for bars and clubs. People here alot nicer too. Hull has really dangerous areas and the worst crime rate in Britain, or close to it.

Suppose you just have to balance that with how good the Unis are I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura182)
    Are you sure it's an ex-poly? Not saying you're wrong but I didn't know it was. Looked on wiki and it says established 1920, was just a university college then but dunno if it counts as ex-poly or not :confused:
    I thought it was but it would appear not. my bad

ReputationRep:
    Love all the rubbish people write about Hull. The university is fantastic, one of the best student unions in the country and the campus is like an enclosed world. Hull is well-established and has some highly rated departments and most of the accommodation at the Lawns has been updated in the last few years. Cottingham where the halls are is on the edge of Hull and the university is also outside the city centre. Hull itself has some rough areas like any northern city, but students don't go anywhere near them. The city centre is great - clubs, museums, theatres, shops and the people here are so friendly. And Hull is cheap to live. Don't take any notice of all the nonsense some people go on about on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notanumber)
    Love all the rubbish people write about Hull. The university is fantastic, one of the best student unions in the country and the campus is like an enclosed world. Hull is well-established and has some highly rated departments and most of the accommodation at the Lawns has been updated in the last few years. Cottingham where the halls are is on the edge of Hull and the university is also outside the city centre. Hull itself has some rough areas like any northern city, but students don't go anywhere near them. The city centre is great - clubs, museums, theatres, shops and the people here are so friendly. And Hull is cheap to live. Don't take any notice of all the nonsense some people go on about on this forum.
    well said. But I have to add it's not just northern cities that have their rough spots - Most cities do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    I thought it was but it would appear not. my bad
    Swansea Met is the ex poly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Swansea Met is the ex poly
    ah - fair do's. I knew there was an expoly in swansea... but since i didn't look at any Uni's outside of Yorkshire i have limited knowledge =P

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.