Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my first year of a Law LLB at Leicester University. The real aspiration for taking law was to become a barrister and I'm just wondering what the opinions are on the chances of a Leciester graduate become one. I have no problem working for a 1st and I understand that is exactly what I need to do, but at the same time if it is going to be an unreachable challenge to fulfill then I would like to know.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is ever unreachable... sure maybe a better uni would have given you a better chance, BUT it all comes down to you as a person.. dosent matter were you went just as long as you are good at your job!

ReputationRep:
    I can accept that it true to some degree. However, who am I to stop them throwing my application for a pupillage in the bin before they have even met me because im from a lower ranked uni than they would like, or have applicants from?

ReputationRep:
    Leicester is a great Uni for Law and they have some really strong contacts with different chambers in the East Midlands and also in the City. I don't know where the conception that Leicester is a 'lower ranked uni' came from! :-/

Make sure you do some Mooting, debating, client interviewing and get some informal work experience as well as getting good grades.

I am graduating this year and going on to complete a TC with a top City firm, so Leicester is definately a plus rather than a negative to have on your CV! xx

ReputationRep:
    Read the leaflet "its your call" from the bar website.

So long as you apply to sets that have recen tennents from non-oxbridge unis, have good academics and great ecs and pro bono you should get at least the odd interview. Then its how you do at int/who else you are competing against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VitaminB12)
    I'm currently in my first year of a Law LLB at Leicester University. The real aspiration for taking law was to become a barrister and I'm just wondering what the opinions are on the chances of a Leciester graduate become one. I have no problem working for a 1st and I understand that is exactly what I need to do, but at the same time if it is going to be an unreachable challenge to fulfill then I would like to know.
    Absolutley- if you get a 1st you will get onto the BPTC. However if you get a 2:1 from leciester (so unfair but true) you may not stand as good a chance against the hunfreds from Oxbridge and LSE who have 2:1. I remeber that the statistics when I could have gone to do it were like 4000 applications for 800 places nationwide, but about 3700 of those applicants had a 2:1 so, if you get a 1st you should be fine, but I would say in your position it is essential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Leicester is a great Uni for Law and they have some really strong contacts with different chambers in the East Midlands and also in the City. I don't know where the conception that Leicester is a 'lower ranked uni' came from! :-/
    I think in the barrister world where any uni that isnt LSE, UCL , Kings College or Oxbridge, Leicster (and any one outside that at varying levels) are lower ranked.

You can get away with a 2:1 from any of those 5 and possibly like durham exeter warwick bristol ect.. but anywhere else a 1st is needed to compete.
    AND i was thinking in terms of the City,l I have no experience of sets around the country, so i could be talking bull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VitaminB12)
    I can accept that it true to some degree. However, who am I to stop them throwing my application for a pupillage in the bin before they have even met me because im from a lower ranked uni than they would like, or have applicants from?
    The official line is till a 1st from anywhere is better than a 2:1 from a really good uni (ie Oxford). Im sure a 1st from leceister is better than a 21 from oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ingindustries)
    The official line is till a 1st from anywhere is better than a 2:1 from a really good uni (ie Oxford). Im sure a 1st from leceister is better than a 21 from oxbridge.

Then you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Concentrate on that 1st, then see where the wind takes you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    [/B]

Then you're wrong.
    No im not. A 1st from Leicster is better than a 2:1 from Oxford. A 2:1 from Leicster is not as good as a 2:1 from Oxford (unfortunatley). If you have a 1st you will more than likley be taken on by an inn. However if you have a 2:1 that isnt from, Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham, Exeter, Warwick, York or Nottingham (and the Scottish Equivalents in Scotland) you will have to compete very hard for a place.

ReputationRep:
    No im not. A 1st from Leicster is better than a 2:1 from Oxford. A 2:1 from Leicster is not as good as a 2:1 from Oxford (unfortunatley). If you have a 1st you will more than likley be taken on by an inn. However if you have a 2:1 that isnt from, Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham, Exeter, Warwick, York or Nottingham (and the Scottish Equivalents in Scotland) you will have to compete very hard for a place.
    Why are you so sure then? It's not like this is just your personal opinion, huh? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Im sure a 1st from leceister is better than a 21 from oxbridge.
    I think in the barrister world where any uni that isnt LSE, UCL , Kings College or Oxbridge, Leicster (and any one outside that at varying levels) are lower ranked.

i could be talking bull.
    I am afraid that you are.
    It might work that way for academic admissions,
    but that is not how it is when you look for a pupillage.

ReputationRep:
    2005-2008 London School of Economics, LLB Law (1st Class Hons)
    2008-2009 ChristChurch College, Oxford University, Bachelor of Civil Laws (1st Class Hons)
    2009-2013, Kings College, Cambride University, PhD Law- "Internation Protection of Human Rights"

Don't worry if you get rejected by Oxbridge. I did, and a few years later I was the one doing the interviewing!
    I'm sorry - are you telling me that someone who supposedly has 1st class degrees from LSE and Oxford can't spell Leicester?

Or 'absolutely'/'unfortunately'?

Or give sound advice on their own subject?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can JOIN an inn. The only prerequisite is o grade english, why are you giving "advice" on a subject of which you know nothing?

Realistically a first from anywhere is a selling point, but only at sets that look outside the oxbridge pool. Additionally, while nothing trumps academics, hundreds of people have oxbrige 2.1s and firsts from other unis, so other things, eg your outside experience, will come into play. Loads of people with Oxbridge firsts/BCLs dont get interviews everywhere they apply if they have no ECs to enhance their apps.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutley- if you get a 1st you will get onto the BPTC. However if you get a 2:1 from leciester (so unfair but true) you may not stand as good a chance against the hunfreds from Oxbridge and LSE who have 2:1. I remeber that the statistics when I could have gone to do it were like 4000 applications for 800 places nationwide, but about 3700 of those applicants had a 2:1 so, if you get a 1st you should be fine, but I would say in your position it is essential.
    You are so wrong again.

If you have a 2.2 you can and will get on the BTPC very few people get rejected, these stats are not correct. Despite Bar Council min requirments (2.2) if you have a third you can STILL get on the BPTC. If you have the cash and a good enough sob story you will get on. EVEN If you dont have a degree you can get on by getting a few professional refs to say you are "competent"

Will you then get pupillage? Very very unlikely, gaining a vocational course place means nothing, it is no indicator of aptitude.

ReputationRep:
    2008-2009 ChristChurch College, Oxford University, Bachelor of Civil Laws (1st Class Hons)
    ¨1st Class Hons¨ is not awarded for the BCL.
    The BCL is graded Distinction, Pass, Fail.
    The BCL is the Batchelor of Civil Law not Bachelor of Civil Laws
    You are lying about having done the BCL.

2009-2013, Kings College, Cambride University, PhD Law- "Internation Protection of Human Rights"
    You have misspelled ¨International¨ and ¨Cambridge¨.
    You are a liar and a poor liar at that.
    In other posts you have lied about the admissions process to Oxford.
    I suspect that you are a pathetic year 12 student.

ReputationRep:
    You should learn what a PhD is before you pretend to have done one :rofl:

Op, you can try applying for mini-pupillages during your degree. See what kind of reaction you get. The top commercial sets will be out of your reach, but you may be able to get pupillage at a different kind of set. Do your research and consider it carefully though. Be aware that the majority of people doing the BVC don't get pupillage and end up wasting an enormous amount of time and money.

ReputationRep:
    After some behind-the-scenes investigation I can confirm (for those that hadn't guessed) that Ingindustries is definitely not a postgrad law student at Cambridge and should be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    Your academia is incredible.
    Oh dear. You lied.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.