FMQ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by richie123)
Ahem.
a) The person I know of is female.
b) A news agency is not the same as a newsagent! The person I know of had a very successful former career with a big company, I'm not denying it - but they had NOT been to university.
was she at a big company or a news agency?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FMQ)
was she at a big company or a news agency?
Are they mutually exclusive?
FMQ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Are they mutually exclusive?
I personally wouldn't refer to a news agency such as the Press Association as a "big company". It just seems strange that the poster said "news agency" in one post then "big company"

As i said we have no way of really knowing for a year or so until/if said person gets tenancy.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FMQ)
I personally wouldn't refer to a news agency such as the Press Association as a "big company". It just seems strange that the poster said "news agency" in one post then "big company"

As i said we have no way of really knowing for a year or so until/if said person gets tenancy.
Do CNN, Reuters, Bloomberg and the like not qualify as big companies?
richie123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Blimey, you can tell this is a forum populated by wannabe lawyers. It's all about the semantics, isn't it?

Big name company. All right?

Someone seemed to think I was implying that this person had run a newsagents, ie a corner shop, for 20 years and then trained as a barrister. By using the phrase "big company" I was trying to make it clear, beyond all shadow of doubt, that this was not what I meant.

Incidentally, I considered writing "in the City" instead, but I thought people might jump on me and say, 'what, you mean in finance? I thought you said news agency.' Clearly my paranoia was justified!
b4u386
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
edited post
Last edited by b4u386; 6 years ago
OLPASTARDS
Report 8 years ago
Hello everyone.

The statistics for gaining pupillage, let alone tenancy, are brutal. Most of the comments made so far about figures are pretty accurate.

Certainly, as a student at a BPTC provider you are not only competing with your immediate peers - there are plenty of others who have completed the BPTC and will be reapplying. It would also be a mistake to underestimate the calibre of those reapplying: I know of one person who, having failed to gain pupillage over two years of Olpas applications, was fortunate enough to be taken on this year by 6KBW, one of the best criminal sets in the country.

You don't need to go to Oxbridge. You probably do if you want to go to Brick Court, Blackstones or Fountain Court. And you'll probably want to get a scholarship to Harvard afterwards. And you'll want to finish in the top 3 in your year. But I digress.

As Rich123 has noted, class will out. I think that's a fair perception. I'm due to begin my pupillage in October this year, and that was as much down to perseverance as intellect. I'm certainly no Oxbridge grad.

This article on the Chambers Student website gives a pretty good indication of what you need to do to get a pupillage:

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/pdf/Bar%20article_.pdf
chalks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by flugestuge)
However, you are just at a criminal law set.
It is better to become a solicitor than to become a criminal law barrister. In fact, it is probably better to become a paralegal than to become a criminal law barrister.
You often post some amusing material.

This, however, is juvenile and idiotic.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (1068)
90.13%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (117)
9.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed