Turn on thread page Beta

Hand and feet cold all the time, feeling numb in exams watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my feet and hands are ice cold all the time.
    I had a blood test for anaemia and it wasn't that.
    So I kind of forgot about it, and now it's extremely cold and I have exams. I sat my maths exam today; I was wearing two pairs of socks and double layers. But I was ice-cold in the exam, numb feet and shivering. I couldn't concentrate properly.
    I have 4 more exams, anything I can do to help this? Its really stressing me out because it affects my ability during exam because I have to sit down for so long. My biology exams are one after the other, thats over three hours of sitting. how will i cope?

ReputationRep:
    Reynaud's syndrome? Or you might have terrible blood circulation, like me. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    If you are stressed, the adrenaline is released into the body which causes extremity vasoconstriction, which will lead to cold hands and feet.

Well, that is what my A2 bio book tells me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    Reynaud's syndrome? Or you might have terrible blood circulation, like me. :sigh:

what's Reynaud's syndrome?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XFire36)
    If you are stressed, the adrenaline is released into the body which causes extremity vasoconstriction, which will lead to cold hands and feet.

Well, that is what my A2 bio book tells me.
    lol my bio book tells me the same.
    But I have it when I'm not stressed as well.
    I can deal with it at home etc just turn the heating up.
    But not in the exam hall and when I have to sit in one place for so long.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the club! :bawling:

It's totally normal. My hand and feet are cold all the time too! But I wouldn't let this distract me... Just focus on your exam paper.

ReputationRep:
    If you hyperventilate your feet can go numb. Have you had your thyroid checked?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try taking some exercise before the exams (I know, easier said than done - especially if you are nervous!) but perhaps just a brisk walk or something might help a little bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyness)
    lol my bio book tells me the same.
    But I have it when I'm not stressed as well.
    I can deal with it at home etc just turn the heating up.
    But not in the exam hall and when I have to sit in one place for so long.
    I get it too. Must be poor circulation then.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my feet and hands are ice cold all the time.
    I had a blood test for anaemia and it wasn't that.
    So I kind of forgot about it, and now it's extremely cold and I have exams. I sat my maths exam today; I was wearing two pairs of socks and double layers. But I was ice-cold in the exam, numb feet and shivering. I couldn't concentrate properly.
    I have 4 more exams, anything I can do to help this? Its really stressing me out because it affects my ability during exam because I have to sit down for so long. My biology exams are one after the other, thats over three hours of sitting. how will i cope?
    Could you not explain to your school what is wrong and ask if you can do your exam in a smaller room (eg. an unused classroom or your school's learning support rooms). Then you might be able to sit near a radiator and there would be less air to warm up so you wouldn't feel so cold. Also, doing an exam in a classroom setting might help you to relax a bit more so you wouldn't feel as bad.

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem, it is really annoying trying to write with freezing hands and all you can think about is how cold your feet are too! It might just be the winter months or poor circulation for whatever reason. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, I'm not. If it is still the same in months to come, then it may be something to get checked out.

ReputationRep:
    what's Reynaud's syndrome?
    Don't be too worried - it's nothing that serious in the vast majority of cases. It runs in my family so I know how it feels

It basically means very poor circulation to your extremities, to the extent that hands and toes will go purple-black and takes ages to warm up again. On the other hand, if you were shivering that suggests you might honestly just have been cold. Don't worry about it, put some more layers around the core parts of your body and move about a bit next time you feel cold (obviously not in an exam though!)

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else mentioned, you might have Reynaud's like me

Adding to what's already been said, it's hereditary and nothing that causes a huge amount of trouble, just wear more and keep yourself warm. I wear fingerless gloves, extra-thick socks and leggings with my normal clothes so my hands and feet don't go too numb. There's some medication you can take for it, but probably not worth it as extra gloves/socks are normally enough.

ReputationRep:
    Thermal socks and proper sheepskin boots really work, if you're allowed to wear them in school

ReputationRep:
    I think my cold hands are down to poor blood circulation and stress so dont let exams work you up! Try putting them in a bowl of warm to hot water and stretching your hands in it for a few minutes then thoroughly drying them just before an exam, it gets me through most of it

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem, my hands are always like ice in exams. Usually, I wash them with warm water just before the exam and dry them on the warm drier -- this helps keep them warm up to the start of the exam, but they naturally go cold during the exams Don't worry, although this is an annoying thing, I'm sure it's nothing serious!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.