The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

electriic_ink
What's 90% of 200?

You don't do Maths do you?

sadly i do - just wouldve made more sense cos you confused me :s-smilie:
Mr M
I don't imagine it will affect you as the changes start in 2012 but one of the reasons given was that people might say the A* is unfair.

A Level Maths has been "unfair" for years. It's the only A Level you can pass with 4 AS and 2 A2 modules.

They should just make it so that A* in Maths is awarded based on 90% in C3, C4 and your best Mechanics/Stats module. Then no one could complain.
OrangeStu
Changes start 2010, shrinking to four modules I think from memory - 1 module will encapsulate bits of M,S and D

Nope.
electriic_ink
A Level Maths has been "unfair" for years. It's the only A Level you can pass with 4 AS and 2 A2 modules.

And here is Reason 2 on the QCDA list. Is it "Family Fortunes" night or something?
Reply 44
80% in AS and 90% in A2 and over 80% overall
Reply 45
Can someone just confirm - and i would like to see the source - that retakes are permitted?

I was told this originally, but i would to see some concrete stuff please :smile:
Reply 46
Someone downloaded a load of stuff from different exam boards and none mentioned that retakes weren't permitted. I got predicted A* maths, which I can only get with retakes, so I'm presuming it's still possible.
Reply 47
mollyyy
Someone downloaded a load of stuff from different exam boards and none mentioned that retakes weren't permitted. I got predicted A* maths, which I can only get with retakes, so I'm presuming it's still possible.

fair enough - the exams don't prohibit you from resetting to get a grade A, so why should they start doing it, to get an A*?
Reply 48
Haha yeah. I almost wish A* didn't exist for A level, then I could be happy with an A and wouldn't be seen as really geeky for retaking an A.
Reply 49
*MJ*
Is this true for all A-levels or just Mathematics.

Thanks. :smile:

Yes, its true for all A levels
Mr M
And here is Reason 2 on the QCDA list. Is it "Family Fortunes" night or something?

I don't get this reason.

:s-smilie:
electriic_ink
I don't get this reason.

:s-smilie:

It doesn't matter. On 'Family Fortunes' contestants were asked if they could guess an answer given to a question posed to 100 people in a street survey.

QCDA = 100 people
Contestant = you

QCDA are using the 4 AS and 2 A2 argument to attempt to scrap A Level mathematics as we know it.

Latest