Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    What's 90% of 200?

You don't do Maths do you?
    sadly i do - just wouldve made more sense cos you confused me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I don't imagine it will affect you as the changes start in 2012 but one of the reasons given was that people might say the A* is unfair.
    A Level Maths has been "unfair" for years. It's the only A Level you can pass with 4 AS and 2 A2 modules.

They should just make it so that A* in Maths is awarded based on 90% in C3, C4 and your best Mechanics/Stats module. Then no one could complain.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by OrangeStu)
    Changes start 2010, shrinking to four modules I think from memory - 1 module will encapsulate bits of M,S and D
    Nope.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A Level Maths has been "unfair" for years. It's the only A Level you can pass with 4 AS and 2 A2 modules.
    And here is Reason 2 on the QCDA list. Is it "Family Fortunes" night or something?

ReputationRep:
    80% in AS and 90% in A2 and over 80% overall
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Can someone just confirm - and i would like to see the source - that retakes are permitted?

I was told this originally, but i would to see some concrete stuff please

ReputationRep:
    Someone downloaded a load of stuff from different exam boards and none mentioned that retakes weren't permitted. I got predicted A* maths, which I can only get with retakes, so I'm presuming it's still possible.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mollyyy)
    Someone downloaded a load of stuff from different exam boards and none mentioned that retakes weren't permitted. I got predicted A* maths, which I can only get with retakes, so I'm presuming it's still possible.
    fair enough - the exams don't prohibit you from resetting to get a grade A, so why should they start doing it, to get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah. I almost wish A* didn't exist for A level, then I could be happy with an A and wouldn't be seen as really geeky for retaking an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Is this true for all A-levels or just Mathematics.

Thanks.
    Yes, its true for all A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    And here is Reason 2 on the QCDA list. Is it "Family Fortunes" night or something?
    I don't get this reason.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't get this reason.

It doesn't matter. On 'Family Fortunes' contestants were asked if they could guess an answer given to a question posed to 100 people in a street survey.

QCDA = 100 people
    Contestant = you

QCDA are using the 4 AS and 2 A2 argument to attempt to scrap A Level mathematics as we know it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.