Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My self harm is getting out of control. Help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'll never understand why people self harm...do you just like seeing blood or something? Watch some gory films, like 'men behind the sun' or 'cannibal holocaust'/'cannibal ferox'. See some bloody surgeries. On the other hand, this may give you some bad ideas. T___T

ReputationRep:
    Go, go, go see a doctor

I've already said I've seen a doctor and that didn't help at all.

And it's certainly not for attention, but I'm not about to try and convince you all of that.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really recommend how is the best way to stop (I'm assuming you've tried all the "tricks" - punching pillow, holding ice cubes, drawing in red pen on yourself) but I can recommend you dermatix to help with minimising any scarring. Good luck on stopping though.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say get yourself another doctor, or pressure the one you've got to get you some form of counselling. You could also have a look for any organisations in your local area which might offer free counselling or other forms of support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    I'll never understand why people self harm...do you just like seeing blood or something? Watch some gory films, like 'men behind the sun' or 'cannibal holocaust'/'cannibal ferox'. See some bloody surgeries. On the other hand, this may give you some bad ideas. T___T
    http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnose...ions/self-harm

this should hopefully explain why people do it.

Not everyone is normal like yourself :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've already said I've seen a doctor and that didn't help at all.

And it's certainly not for attention, but I'm not about to try and convince you all of that.
    Further to my previous post we would like to know why you do it? -What are the causes?

ReputationRep:
    *goes to find her old website*

http://xxxxxxxxxjessxxxxxxxxx.piczo....linkvar=000044

youll have to excuse some of the immature stuff on the other pages, i was young when i made it but the creators of bodies under seige (dunno if its still around or what its like now but it was a range of sites for help on things like this) thought my page was great and very helpfull so i hope you find it helpfull too

some of my 'friends' at school thought it was all about attention so im glad to see you dont share this view and i kindly ask that if anyone does have a negative point about this, they keep it to themselves because it will only make matters worse
    my school found out and made everything ten times worse for me by lecturing me and trying to force me to do stuff :/

my way out of it that was reccomended to me, elastic band on your wrist or ice cubes, still get the pain and therefore some of the relief but without the risks xx

ReputationRep:
    yes tell your teacher at least she will not tell no one if you tel her.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to give up self harm was one of the hardest things I ever did. It got to the point where I became so dependent on cutting or burning myself that I could barely manage a day or so without doing so.

If it's out of your control, speak to someone about it. The probem is that so few people seem to understand, and speaking to people about it can perpetuate the idea that it is for attention.

However, there are people you can talk too. Counsellers, helplines, etc. Some of them are completely anonymous, so you can't lose anything by trying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victor_b1992)
    yes tell your teacher at least she will not tell no one if you tel her.
    sorry but thats not true, my school told my mum
    people are only bound by confidentiality if what they are told poses no risks to anyone, self harm is one of the things they can inform parents or other agencies about where appropriate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Speak for yourself.
    well you just contradicted yourself there my friend, as you sought attention by making that useless contribution

my point is that self-harming is pointless and you'll be worse off for it in the end no matter what.

(Original post by Anonymous.)
    Further to my previous post we would like to know why you do it? -What are the causes?
    I have a court trial coming up involving sexual abuse, and I'm finding it hard to cope with at the moment. That mainly, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous.)
    http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnose...ions/self-harm

this should hopefully explain why people do it.

Not everyone is normal like yourself :rolleyes:
    Lol....

A person who self-harms is likely to have gone through very difficult, painful experiences as a child or young adult. At the time, they probably had no one they could confide in, so didn't receive the support and the emotional outlet they needed to deal with it. The experience might have involved physical violence, emotional abuse, or sexual abuse. They might have been neglected, separated from someone they loved, been bullied, harassed, assaulted, isolated, put under intolerable pressure, made homeless, sent into care, into hospital or to other institutions.
    Me too, but I've never self harmed. All it says to me is selfish and stupid. If any of that is true, then all they are doing is accomodating their current or past troubles. My mom has tried commiting suicide more than once, and she is selfish and stupid too. Don't act as though I don't know ****, just because my sanity doesn't act on bad experiences.

(Original post by Sad Clown)
    well you just contradicted yourself there my friend, as you sought attention by making that useless contribution
    Yeah clearly genius, that's why I posted anonymously, so everyone would be able to pay lots and lots of attention to me.

ReputationRep:
    OP pictures or we don't believe you

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried keeping a rubber band on your wrist and pinging it when you feel the urge to self harm? Or, when you feel you are going to self harm in a uncontrolled way, try watching tv for 30 mins and then do it. Chances are you won't do it at all. Also, you can try a different way to get your emotions out: such as screaming into a pillow or starting some form of martial arts. Have you tried a counsellor? People are saying that prayer helped but it definitely never helped me. You're the only one who can help yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    Lol....

Me too, but I've never self harmed. All it says to me is selfish and stupid. If any of that is true, then all they are doing is accomodating their current or past troubles. My mom has tried commiting suicide more than once, and she is selfish and stupid too. Don't act as though I don't know ****, just because my sanity doesn't act on bad experiences.
    The way you projected your post sounded like you did not know much about this condition you even mentioned you never under stood why.
    Hence why I thought I would direct you.

Anyway - I agree that sometimes people who are feeling suicidal to others may seem selfish but when you are in the moment you really don't know what is going through their mind. It is a horrible feeling - perhaps selfish to others but a cry for help as well.

Some people are more sensitive than others. I am not even saying being sane is bad - it's great you are however please note that it is a sensitive topic and people would get offended one way or another.

I haven't harmed but I work sometimes with children that have. My experience is it can be either genuine frustration and a way to ease tension, whilst taking it out on yourself (bit of self loathing there) or a way to get the attention of others. Usually the first, particularly if real damage is done.

Cutting is only one way of self harming, but it's one of the most destructive and the effects are lasting, with scars, slashed tendons and in one case I know of, infection crept in, eventually causing loss of the arm below the elbow. It's dangerous and there are risks involved and is just a symptom of a lot of hidden pain, guilt and self-loathing. The only way to really make sure you stop is to have a good think about what you are trying to achieve - It's very unlikely to be suicide - and weigh up te consequences. Until you deal with the underlying issues it will be difficult to stop. You might stop cutting yourself, but may find another way to express your pain which could be equally as damaging.

I'd go back and try to get a more sympathetic doctor, or is there a teacher/counsellor that you feel you can trust? It's really important to deal with what you are feeling, or you may end up just feeling worse. Explaining your feelings to someone you can trust is the way to go.

I hope you do x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessw89)
    sorry but thats not true, my school told my mum
    people are only bound by confidentiality if what they are told poses no risks to anyone, self harm is one of the things they can inform parents or other agencies about where appropriate

Yeah this is true. Referrals from Doctors, Schools, Hospitals and Parents is where the people I work with are introduced to me. Professionals cannot assure confidentiality if the actions of someone are likely to harm the individual or others.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.