Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

girls, what are your interests and hobbies? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girl0808)
    i was just wondering what interests you have other than shopping?
    other than shopping? because all girls are interested in shopping? :rolleyes:

football
    tattoos
    hamsters
    reading
    playing on my DS
    watching films
    working out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    Might I be so *****y bold as to suggest you live in a working class bubble?

All the girls at my state school were as you described, except the few that were good at sports. More guys tended to have sports as a hobby, so I think it's fair to say the guys with hobbies outnumbered the girls. However, when I left for a good sixth form college (still state-run, but it was good so it attracted all kinds of people, lots of ex private and grammar school people were there) pretty much EVERY girl I met had a myriad of hobbies. Real hobbies. The girls with hobbies certainly outnumbered the guys with hobbies. I think it stems from the middle class desire to raise 'accomplished' young women.

I think that you should really stop and consider whether you've met a real cross-section of humanity before you make sweeping generalisations.
    Working class? Not at all. Middle class more likely, with the few upper class if you want to base it on income. I think it's better parenting which is generally reflective of intelligence of the parents, which goes hand in hand with wealth, which you're getting at, which encourages people to get hobbies. I do know a few working class people and they are all about their bf's - really dull people. But the upper class people I know have the hobbies of weed and coke. Not exactly interesting either, but granted more socially adept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Not intended like that - but yeah, point being someone with hobbies including sport has more chance of being interesting/able to hold conversation.
    I still disagree, mainly because I am able to hold a conversation despite not having a great amount of hobbies and I knew girls who did a lot of things but weren't particularly interesting but each to their own. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Reading, Ukulele, Guitar, internet (=blogging, reading blogs, facebook, twitter, tsr, youtube), tv (lost, heroes, 90210, dollhouse [for two more episodes, anyway], comedy), music. I kinda like shopping but often can't be bothered these days!

EDIT: oh, and baking and watching films (not sure how I managed to miss out the former first time round!)

ReputationRep:
    Reading, writing, going out with friends, watching films, shopping!! playing my instruments, singing, travelling, photography, tennis, swimming, live music, fashion.

ReputationRep:
    Music/gigs, film (Orange Wednesday is my saviour), swimming, running, wildlife documentaries :yeah: Oh, and trying out different fillings for toasties.

And I hate shopping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Working class? Not at all. Middle class more likely, with the few upper class if you want to base it on income. I think it's better parenting which is generally reflective of intelligence of the parents, which goes hand in hand with wealth, which you're getting at, which encourages people to get hobbies. I do know a few working class people and they are all about their bf's - really dull people. But the upper class people I know have the hobbies of weed and coke. Not exactly interesting either, but granted more socially adept.
    The thing is, I find it difficult to believe you could be middle class and not have met girls who play instruments such as the piano and violin, and ride horses.

Do you go to an all boys school?

Playing the pink oboe, plucking the golden harp and strumming the accoustic guitar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    The thing is, I find it difficult to believe you could be middle class and not have met girls who play instruments such as the piano and violin, and ride horses.

Do you go to an all boys school?
    I go to university, and I know several girls who play instruments, but they are still exceptionally boring. In fact it is all one of them does, that and see her bf, so when it comes down to conversation, she has absolutely nothing to talk about. Not a bad person, just as interesting as paper.

ReputationRep:
    History, Ballet, Reading, Drawing, Travelling, Dancing, Festivals, Photography, Writing, Anime, Gaming, Japanese culture, Manga, Comic Books.... IDK what else lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    I go to university, and I know several girls who play instruments, but they are still exceptionally boring. In fact it is all one of them does, that and see her bf, so when it comes down to conversation, she has absolutely nothing to talk about. Not a bad person, just as interesting as paper.
    So they have hobbies. Whether they are boring or not doesn't matter - they have hobbies which is what the thread is about.

To be honest if the all the women you have met are as crap as you say, you must draw crap women to you for whatever reason. Or you are incredibly unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    So they have hobbies. Whether they are boring or not doesn't matter - they have hobbies which is what the thread is about.

To be honest if the all the women you have met are as crap as you say, you must draw crap women to you for whatever reason. Or you are incredibly unlucky.
    It's more they don't have a multitude of hobbies - orchestra amazingly isn't a place filled with wild stories to tell I'm presuming. And I'm going with the latter option of being unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    shopping is the permanent theme for girls.

ReputationRep:
    Sewing, graphic design, watching films, reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    It's more they don't have a multitude of hobbies - orchestra amazingly isn't a place filled with wild stories to tell I'm presuming. And I'm going with the latter option of being unlucky.
    what exactly are your hobbies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    what exactly are your hobbies?
    I don't have any.

Had to say it. I'm into politics, philosophy, current events, economics, F1, WRC, tennis, cars, computing & tech, games, the gym (how to & the lifestyle), play the guitar and really into trance (Tiesto ISOS series), or more specifically balearic beat/trance, like DJ Shah a.k.a. Sunlounger.

And yours are?

ReputationRep:
    Well......

Horses
    Rugby playing, yes I am a girl who plays rugby
    Rugby watching, boy spotting
    country girl you see, then when Im at uni more rugby plus ,clubs, pubs, flat partys, and alcholmahol :gthumb:
    GOOD TIMES hehe, do they even class as hobbies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    I don't have any.

Had to say it. I'm into politics, philosophy, current events, economics, F1, WRC, tennis, cars, computing & tech, games, the gym (how to & the lifestyle), play the guitar and really into trance (Tiesto ISOS series), or more specifically balearic beat/trance, like DJ Shah a.k.a. Sunlounger.

And yours are?
    It doesn't really matter what mine are, I'm not sitting here ****ging off people who don't have 'real' hobbies.

Sports (F1, wrc, tennis, the gum) are pretty much the male equivalent of shopping (in that a lot of guys are into it and not so many girls), I don't think politics, philosophy and current events are really 'hobbies' are they? surely they're just things that interest most people, regardless of gender?
    computers and tech is something I'd say this generation are interested in in one way or another.
    oh, and listening to music is something I'm pretty sure you disregarded earlier?
    So you've pretty much got playing an instrument and economics. Congratulations, you must be so much more interesting than any woman! and far less condescending, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    It doesn't really matter what mine are, I'm not sitting here ****ging off people who don't have 'real' hobbies.

Sports (F1, wrc, tennis, the gum) are pretty much the male equivalent of shopping (in that a lot of guys are into it and not so many girls), I don't think politics, philosophy and current events are really 'hobbies' are they? surely they're just things that interest most people, regardless of gender?
    computers and tech is something I'd say this generation are interested in in one way or another.
    oh, and listening to music is something I'm pretty sure you disregarded earlier?
    So you've pretty much got playing an instrument and economics. Congratulations, you must be so much more interesting than any woman! and far less condescending, of course.
    How is competitive sport which has tactics and methods involved, whilst constantly changing and evolving the same as mindless shopping, something which anyone can do? You can't talk about shopping, or for about 2 mins, whereas you can talk for quite some time about sports. Plus, unlike shopping, girls can also, and many do, watch tennis and other sports, and therefore there is something there to talk about. I can't talk to a girl about the new range of clothes in Topshop, and likewise I'm not going to talk to a girl about the new G-Star line in USC, other than "Does this shirt look good?".
    Politics, philosophy and current events are interests, though can be a hobby if you actively talk about tehm. And again, many girls I have known don't know jack about any, and my philosophy tutor, ex-Cambridge graduate told me that most women can't do philosophy. Plus your ignorance to this backs him up. Just stating the obvious.
    And no, this generation is not interested in computers and tech. Having an I-Phone or MP3 player doesn't count, I'm talking can actually talk for more than 10 seconds about it. Listening to music in general yes, but I listen to a lot to filter out my favourites, and can talk about the pro, cons and points of genres, not "Yah I like bloc party". I'm talking actual conversation, not mindless natter.
    Plus nice one on avoiding games and the gym. Considering I go to the gym for 2 hours several times a week, it's a hobby.

And frankly ******** pathetic of you to try to pick apart my interests and not mention any of your own. Seriously, go into your PC, find a file called "System 32" and delete it. It's a virus, needs to go, must be the reason you're posting ***** and being a *****.
    Though reading your profile, you're hobbies seem to be "Being the thrilling & really cool kid". :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    How is competitive sport which has tactics and methods involved, whilst constantly changing and evolving the same as mindless shopping, something which anyone can do? You can't talk about shopping, or for about 2 mins, whereas you can talk for quite some time about sports. Plus, unlike shopping, girls can also, and many do, watch tennis and other sports, and therefore there is something there to talk about.
    people who are interested in sports can talk for a long time about it, people who are interested in shopping can also talk about it for a long time. One is not boring and the other interesting, they're just different interests.
    And your point about many girls playing tennis - does that not contradict your own earlier statements that girls don't have 'real' hobbies?:rolleyes:

and some guys shop I can't talk to a girl about the new range of clothes in Topshop, and likewise I'm not going to talk to a girl about the new G-Star line in USC, other than "Does this shirt look good?".
    Is that really what talking about shopping is like? I can't say I do it an awful lot, but when I have done it's more about styles, colours, fabrics etc or the actual day out I've had.
    although, tbh, I don't really know any girls who list "shopping" as a hobby, I'd probably be the closest because I take a bit of an interest in fashion, but that's only because I like to make and customise my own clothes and watch things like project runway (also about making clothes).

Politics, philosophy and current events are interests, though can be a hobby if you actively talk about tehm. And again, many girls I have known don't know jack about any,
    That may just be the girls you know.

and my philosophy tutor, ex-Cambridge graduate told me that most women can't do philosophy. Plus your ignorance to this backs him up. Just stating the obvious.
    I have no words but :rolleyes:

And no, this generation is not interested in computers and tech. Having an I-Phone or MP3 player doesn't count, I'm talking can actually talk for more than 10 seconds about it.
    Again, everyone I know is in to one area or another of technology and it all interlinks. Be that putting together pcs, the advances in LED tattooing or the research into using flash memory to replace cmos and ccd sensors. (all things I had conversations about last night at the pub)

Listening to music in general yes, but I listen to a lot to filter out my favourites, and can talk about the pro, cons and points of genres, not "Yah I like bloc party". I'm talking actual conversation, not mindless natter.
    I can't believe you honestly think you're so superior to everyone else.
    people with an interest in music (past listening to it and sharing recommendations) will find that interesting. Everyone else? won't give a crap. it doesn't make you any more interesting or any less mindless.

Plus nice one on avoiding games and the gym. Considering I go to the gym for 2 hours several times a week, it's a hobby.
    I didn't avoid the gym, I lumped it in with sports. And I missed games, though you didn't even say which type so I can't really comment.

And frankly ******** pathetic of you to try to pick apart my interests and not mention any of your own.
    I wasn't picking them apart, just trying to show you that there is no 'interesting' and 'boring' there's just common interests, and that one hobby is no more valid than another.

Seriously, go into your PC, find a file called "System 32" and delete it. It's a virus, needs to go, must be the reason you're posting ***** and being a *****.
    :rolleyes:

Though reading your profile, you're hobbies seem to be "Being the thrilling & really cool kid". :yes:
    I wouldn't say I'm thrilling or cool, really.
    I already listed my hobbies earlier in the thread:
    painting
    playing the piano
    animals/my pets
    making/customising clothes.
    reading
    the internet (in that I like to find things out, makes for interesting pub night chat)
    photography (not in an artsy way, I just work in a photography business and both my parents are photographers so I take an interest)
    pub night/hanging out with friends
    and I did forget body mods earlier, but I tend to keep up with what's going on in that area because I find it really interesting (from superficial things like eyeball tattooing to medical things like those carbon fibre legs and artificial larynxs)
    oh, and I sometimes volunteer with small charity for rape victims.
    and, if you're counting it as a hobby, technology.

edit: that was a lot longer than I thought. Anyway, the whole point is there is no interesting and there is no boring. If you find girls so unbearably dull then do us a favour and piss off.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.