Turn on thread page Beta

Too many UCAS points? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

not sure if I've put this in the wrong section of the forums but...oh well, hopefully someone can still enlighten me

I want to know whether on university courses that say they accept between two UCAS point values, for example between 200 and 300, if you can't actually do the course if you have over the upper limit? This seems ridiculous to me.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Blurb.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, that's the typical minimum point offer (IE, they give you an offer saying you have to get at least 200 UCAS points, or at least 300 UCAS points), which end they give depends on the person and whether they like them

ReputationRep:
    But if they say a specific range, for example between 200 and 300 points, for entry, then can you have over 300 points and still go on the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blurb12345)
    But if they say a specific range, for example between 200 and 300 points, for entry, then can you have over 300 points and still go on the course?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    They won't give that as an offer (they'll give an offer within that range, normally)

ReputationRep:
    Are they less likely to accept you if you're above their top limit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriscpritchard)
    They won't give that as an offer (they'll give an offer within that range, normally)
    Sorry but...what do you mean exactly? Is that a yes or a no? Haha sorry I don't know a lot about these things.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but...what do you mean exactly? Is that a yes or a no? Haha sorry I don't know a lot about these things.
    basically, if the prospectus says typical offer: 200-300 UCAS Points (as an example), if they give you an offer, it will be, depending on the rest of your application, something like:

This offer is subject to you achieving at least 200 UCAS Points

or

This offer is subject to you achieving at least 250 UCAS Points

or

This offer is subject to you achieving at least 300 UCAS Points

they will never give you an offer saying:

This offer is subject to you achieving 200-300 UCAS Points

ReputationRep:
    It means that when they give offers they will say
    You must get:
    200 points
    210 points
    220 points
    230 points
    300 points

You can have 600 and you can still get an offer, and achieve it, but in the offer they will only ask for 200-300.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right so..the bottom line is, no matter how many UCAS points I have, they never won't accept me because I have too many points or be less likely to accept me because I have too many?

ReputationRep:
    technically not but they'd be dumb to reject you for doing too well:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The offers normally say 'a minimum of ...' so you obviously can't be punished for exceeding what the want.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right so..the bottom line is, no matter how many UCAS points I have, they never won't accept me because I have too many points or be less likely to accept me because I have too many?
    Pretty much, it'll all depend on the rest of the application. Though they may reject you if they feel you are not likely to go to that uni (you can always phone up and ask why you were rejected if you are!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriscpritchard)
    Pretty much, it'll all depend on the rest of the application. Though they may reject you if they feel you are not likely to go to that uni (you can always phone up and ask why you were rejected if you are!)
    Why would they ever feel anyone's not likely to go to a certain uni?

ReputationRep:
    If you have 7 A grades at A level in respected subjects and apply to Chester Uni.

ReputationRep:
    You have 5 choices, you put a low offer down as a backup (for example, CCC and you're predicted A*AA), they are likely to think that you may not go there

ReputationRep:
    If anyone thinks they have "too many" UCAS points, they're welcome to send some my way!

ReputationRep:
    Hm ok..I must admit I'm still rather confused! I'm just worried that I'm gonna do too well in my A levels and then end up getting too many points for a course I want to go on.

ReputationRep:
    All universities want good students so they are more likely to give you an offer and could even ''bribe'' you with a decent scholarship

ReputationRep:
    Hm ok..I must admit I'm still rather confused! I'm just worried that I'm gonna do too well in my A levels and then end up getting too many points for a course I want to go on.
    don't be. if a standard course offer is stated as "200 - 240 UCAS points", then it means that you may get something like the following offers:

You must obtain a minimum of 200 UCAS points
    You must obtain a minimum of 220 UCAS points
    You must obtain a minimum of 240 UCAS points

a university will not give you an offer with an upper limit to achieve in your A levels or whatever qualification you're taking (why on earth would they?).

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.