Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BunnyS:))
    soon, my school is doing elections for head girl....I would love to be her!
    :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    To be honest, that really will depend. At my school, you couldn't have got that position joining so recently. Although of course, if it's a student election, it shouldn't matter. It's cos at my school it was a mixture of student election and teacher vote, so the teachers would never choose someone who was new (and the head girl would have to have contributed to extracurricular activities throughout the school, so a couple of years wouldn't have been enough time to do that sufficiently).
    Mine had a teacher vote as well. :P
    And both me and the head girl only joined in year 12..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Saying I go to a **** school?
    Not at all. Just that at some schools, they will make a big deal over positions of authority, and put a lot of thought into choosing them etc, and in others, they aren't given as much priority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    In my High School a popular girl who promised weekly barbecues got elected. She failed to live up to her promises and the Vice Head guy got elected upward, then I was co-opted by him to his side. We effectively were head boy and girl for a while. Ultimately I believe you need to be confident, know what you want, know what you're talking about. It really was an inspiration for me to run for a union position in college, which I have held for 2 years and in a couple months I will be running for the full time sabbatical job of President. I think I loved the power and responsibility of the high school job and was inspired. Union work ftw.

I know I digressed, but good luck :p: xxx
    Seriously?! i didn't know that kind of stuff went on :s (the barbecues etc.). But that's good that you got it! You sound very passionate and dedicated, so they obviously picked the right person in the end
    Thank you for the luck xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doginthesky)
    Mine had a teacher vote as well. :P
    And both me and the head girl only joined in year 12..
    OK, fair enough. But my point is, you can't be sure that joining late won't be a disadvantage for all schools. Because if you join in year 12 at my school, there's literally zero chance you can become head girl. All of this will work differently depending on the opinions of the staff at the particular school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    At my school the people who went up for it did speeches then people voted, the top 10 or something then got interviewed by some teachers and the old head boy/girl, then they choose it from there. To be honest, I don't think you stand a good chance only because you haven't been there for very long at all, people will want someone who has been there for a long time, I think.
    Ohh....here only the 6th form and teachers get to see the process....thank you for your insight

Head girl? That's sick...since when did schools recruit kids to do sexual acts like that.....

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?! i didn't know that kind of stuff went on :s (the barbecues etc.). But that's good that you got it! You sound very passionate and dedicated, so they obviously picked the right person in the end
    Thank you for the luck xxxx
    Basically no BBQs did happen, it was just because she lied to everyone that they all voted for her and she couldn't live up to the promises. But thanks very much that's awesome of you to say so :p:

gemma x

ReputationRep:
    OK, fair enough. But my point is, you can't be sure that joining late won't be a disadvantage for all schools. Because if you join in year 12 at my school, there's literally zero chance you can become head girl. All of this will work differently depending on the opinions of the staff at the particular school.
    Yeah that's true..
    I gues you just have to try and be confident, get yourself involved with the school, and just generally be awesome

ReputationRep:
    Well if you haven't been there long, you'd have absolutely no chance at my school, but everywhere's different. However, if it's a student election, it will basically be a popularity contest. Try to give people a good reason to vote for you. Think of things which your fellow students would like, and say you'd make those changes etc.
    Ohh it seems like everywhere it's a bit of a popularity contest!
    Haha, I wrote my speech centuries ago :o: thank you for your advice and insights!

(Original post by bach37)
    At my school the teachers choose the head girl/boy, and normally they choose the best all-rounder...
    Cool

(Original post by Winnieee)
    I was elected as Head Girl and was proper ecstatic because I'm not immensely popular so I think it showed that people trusted me to do the job well . The qualities that I emphasised in my speech to the school were my confidence (mainly faked xD) my intelligence , my experience with public speaking and my experience of living in different places and knowing alot about different social groups within school because I've chnaged between them all.

Hope that sort of helps ? Don't be afraid to big yourself up a bit (Y) Good Luck.

PS I resigned after about three months - it is MAJOR stressful . Well at my school anayway . I had 1500 pupils constantly on me , trying to make me do their every little whim . Which is NOT what I signed up for. I also had to almost single handedly organise our School Prom
    Bless you, that is a really nice story you probably just underestimated your own liked-ness!
    Thank you for you advice and insights, it is especially yourself because you were her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    You must be good at giving head. Only then can you claim to be the head girl. Give the boys in your school head and you will become head girl. Good luck.
    Bad! :mad:

(Original post by Adonis)
    Is it me, or anyone else think OP uses subtle innuendo ?

or am I just dutty minded for thinking 'best head girl' would be something else =[
    No (((

(Original post by Pheylan)
    :ahee:
    Strange kid, :confused:

ReputationRep:
    it all depends on how you're elected as head girl.. for example we had to do a speech in front of years 10 and 11 and they voted, then teachers voted.. then we had an interview with the girls who got the top 3 votes, then the head girl was chosen out of those 3.
    if its a similar system, then a funny speech gained most votes amoungst students (or if you're well known) and good academic reputation amongst the teachers. Our head girl is deff not the most popular girl.. far from it.. she just had a really funny speech and good grades
    good luck

Just open your mouth and move up and down. :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doginthesky)
    Hey
    I'm deputy head girl at my college, and i only joined in year 12, as opposed to other candidates who were at the school since year7.. so don't feel disadvantaged just because you havent been there as long as some of the others..
    I think, to be a head student, you need to be responsible, and able to take on a lot of work, cos you'll have to do your A2 as well as all of the extra things which come from being head girl. You should be enthusiastic about doing this extra work, and also confident (and a good public speaker) cos chances are, that somewhere along the line you'll have to do a speech or two. Also, you'll have to be approachable, so that anyone who has any problems or concerns about your college can come up to you an ask you about it, and dedicated and reliable, so you'll actually do something about whatever problem they're having.

Also, when it comes to elections, ask around, and find out what people in your year and the year below want from the college.. so more college parties/socials. Any improvements that can be made - e.g. canteen food, and things like that.

Hope I've helped in some way x
    That was very, very helpful! THank you!! and well done for getting it so soon, you must habe made a really good impression...I've got lots of ideas, that's why I want it power crazzzzy. thanks! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    You give the best head, girl.
    (Original post by Indieboohoo)
    Just open your mouth and move up and down. :
    You two are going to jail :eek:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, that really will depend. At my school, you couldn't have got that position joining so recently. Although of course, if it's a student election, it shouldn't matter. It's cos at my school it was a mixture of student election and teacher vote, so the teachers would never choose someone who was new (and the head girl would have to have contributed to extracurricular activities throughout the school, so a couple of years wouldn't have been enough time to do that sufficiently).
    Yep, it's a mix here too...it's my 3 and 1/2th year :s....thank your for your opinions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    Basically no BBQs did happen, it was just because she lied to everyone that they all voted for her and she couldn't live up to the promises. But thanks very much that's awesome of you to say so :p:

gemma x
    ergh, that's exactly what i wouldn't want to be!
    i like to speak the truth

(Original post by EmiPark)
    Head girl? That's sick...since when did schools recruit kids to do sexual acts like that.....
    don't be a disneychannel addict :nah:

(Original post by Steph_FFAF)
    it all depends on how you're elected as head girl.. for example we had to do a speech in front of years 10 and 11 and they voted, then teachers voted.. then we had an interview with the girls who got the top 3 votes, then the head girl was chosen out of those 3.
    if its a similar system, then a funny speech gained most votes amoungst students (or if you're well known) and good academic reputation amongst the teachers. Our head girl is deff not the most popular girl.. far from it.. she just had a really funny speech and good grades
    good luck
    when in the year was the position chosen at your school?
    I appreciate your details, thank you!
    and thanks for the luck

ReputationRep:
    ergh, that's exactly what i wouldn't want to be!
    i like to speak the truth

don't be a disneychannel addict :nah:

and thanks for the luck
    In all honesty, there's little point in finding out about other schools. Schools will vary hugely in how Head Girls are chosen, eg, whether they have to be sporty, or they have to be intelligent etc (and indeed, how "intelligent" etc you have to be to stand out will also simply depend on how good the school is). It's best just to try to adapt your "campaign" to best suit the way they are selected in your school. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    Check Post 10 -Too slow losers....
    My post was the best. Jog on, woman.

ReputationRep:
    and thanks for the luck [/QUOTE]

We had elections in feb i think in year 12. I dunno how it works at your 6th form/school but we have a head girl and then a head girls team.. i am on the head girls team and tbh its a lot less work, less pressure and fewer speeches to large audiences.. so i'd always say opt to be on the team rather than head girl, but then i dont liek speaking infront of people plus obvs if head girls is what you want then go for it

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.