Would I Be Crazy To Turn Down Cambridge? Watch

This discussion is closed.
minkailin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rah)
yes but if you hate the place you won't exactly be inspired to work, i know someone who dropped out of cam after about three weeks because she couldn't stand the people or the constant emphasis on work, she transfered to her boyfriends *much much* less impressive uni and is having the time of her life and doing well

three years suffering to get a third or simply a pass vs three great years coming out with a 2:1 from a very good uni hmm

its a tricky one..i'd probably be a hypocrit and go for cam simply because they undergraduate econ course *is* one of the best/highly respected in the world and will open some serious doors...
if u get in cam ur most likely to be capable of getting a 2:1. by "suffering" i also meant working veryyyyyyyy hard.
rah
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by minkailin)
if u get in cam ur most likely to be capable of getting a 2:1. by "suffering" i also meant working veryyyyyyyy hard.
some people have to get 2:2's and 3rds, isnt it like 80% 2:1's+1sts?
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
turn it down if its not the place you want to go to! on my offer letter it said please can I let them know within 21 days if I decide not to accept the offer, becuase they might be able to offer someone else my place, so don't worry about you wasting a chance for someone else, its your lift so decide whats best for YOU.
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Of course, if you'd not be comfortable there, then you ought not to go. Despite what people tell you, how well you do in your exams at Cambridge will determine your future, rather than merely having gotten in. If however you're ok with the prospect of being there for 3 years, and do not feel performance is likely to suffer...go.

Also bare in mind that some colleges and certain courses within Cambridge are a hell of a lot more valued by employers than others...As it happens, Econ. at Cambridge is very highly sought after, soo...you will be turning down a degree that's worth a great deal after graduation.
piggsy_123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Of course, if you'd not be comfortable there, then you ought not to go. Despite what people tell you, how well you do in your exams at Cambridge will determine your future, rather than merely having gotten in. If however you're ok with the prospect of being there for 3 years, and do not feel performance is likely to suffer...go.

Also bare in mind that some colleges and certain courses within Cambridge are a hell of a lot more valued by employers than others...As it happens, Econ. at Cambridge is very highly sought after, soo...you will be turning down a degree that's worth a great deal after graduation.
yes. cambridge all the way.

if u applied in the first place, then u shud accept an offer if u r so lucky as to get 1.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nero076)
I made a post a couple of days ago with the advice of rejecting cam if you're happier elsewhere.

I have to make a similar decision myself as I've received a PPE offer at st peters oxford, but didnt really like the college or the people there. However tempting it is, and I know it would be great in the long run, I am probably going to pick economics at durham/york instead. Hopefully I will have a great time there, and get a good degree.

Not going to Oxbridge really isn't the end of the world.
what college did you want to go to?
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i understand what you mean, i wasnt that impressed by oxford when i was interviewed last week, so i wasnt devasted or anything by the subsequent rejection. durham is a solid place for P, P or E
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think I'm correct in saying York is better than Durham for PPE.
princess-renamed
Report 14 years ago
hi my name is sarah and i was going ot apply to cambridge for economics too but i thought before hand.you would not have got urself in this pointless and completlely *(y are u discussing this wen u dont even have an offer yet)* dilemma if u hadnt applied.if u didnt want to go there u shudnt ve applied, and now that you have i think u shud just wait for thier reply cuz to be honest u probably wont get in js like all the really clever pupils they turn down every yearanyway, so mate my only advise is to CROSS THE BRIDGE WEN U COME TO IT! and dont assume things too soon cuz u might be dissapoointed. i dont mean to be harsh just tellin u the truth good luck with everything tho.btw i got an offer from nott too to study econ, mite c u there!
figgetyfig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by princess)
hi my name is sarah and i was going ot apply to cambridge for economics too but i thought before hand.you would not have got urself in this pointless and completlely *(y are u discussing this wen u dont even have an offer yet)* dilemma if u hadnt applied.if u didnt want to go there u shudnt ve applied, and now that you have i think u shud just wait for thier reply cuz to be honest u probably wont get in js like all the really clever pupils they turn down every yearanyway, so mate my only advise is to CROSS THE BRIDGE WEN U COME TO IT! and dont assume things too soon cuz u might be dissapoointed. i dont mean to be harsh just tellin u the truth good luck with everything tho.btw i got an offer from nott too to study econ, mite c u there!
It's really difficult not to think about it though princess, I got an offer from university college durham (which i totally LOVED but didnt think i had a chance in hell of getting into), and I'm trying not to think about whether I'd just rather go there until after I hear from cambridge. But it's so difficult to push the thought out of your head, it really is. I enjoyed both universities, if I get an offer I'm definitely going to have to have another look round both before making a decision.
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toyosi)
I had the same problem last year but fortunately Oxford rejected me. It was more of a relief than anything cause i knew deep down that wasn't where I wanted to be. Give it some serious thought though cause degree from Cambridge would totally set you up....u might have a few breakdowns on the way but hey, its worth it. I'm actually at Nottingham now and I completely love everything about it, except the hills but thats a whole other issue. Some people might say you're foolish if u reject Cambridge but they don't know what's best for you so tell them to shove it.....politely.
I totally know what you mean. I just got my Oxford rejection letter (for econ and man), and I feel rather relieved because I wasn't sure it was right for me and now I don't have to make the decision! (although of course its not exactly the best feeling to be rejected, even if you're not sure about going).

Now my hard decision is deciding where to go.... (out of Durham ABB, Bristol AAA, Nottingham (havnt heard yet), Leeds BBB and Newcastle BBB).

I really liked Leeds when I visited it and i'm sure i'd have a really really enjoyable 3 years, and a very decent class of degree at the end of it, but a little annoying voice at the back of my mind is telling me that if i was an employer, I would regard the same economics degree from Durham, Nottingham or Bristol higher...

aghhh its so hard!
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nero076)
go where you think you'll have a fun 3 years, you're 17 or 18, way too early to be thinking about employment prospects and **** like that.

and yeh it'd be cool to say "i turned down cambridge" but dont tell too many people, they could resent you for it if they themselves were rejected.
I was initially considering turning down Oxford to go to Sheffield, seriously, because I thought student life would be a lot better at the latter.

Definitely not the case, you may get more 'fun' for 3 years elsewhere but note (a) Cambridge has parties, clubs, good ball events, it's a small sacrifice not having great clubs, (b) the long term prospects.

You may think it's 'cool' to say "I turned down Cambridge" but in fact a lot would think "What a muppet". You may end up pondering over "If only if I'd gone to Cambridge..."
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by RobinHood)
I have an offer to read economics at Nottingham and i think the place is just great and can see no reason to go elsewhere.
However, my interview at Cambridge went very well and i worked very hard and all that. I was wandering what you think, what would you say to someone who turns down cambridge for nottingham, WITH REASON?
Do your degree at Nottingham and get a First, then you've always got the option of applying to do a Masters at Cambridge after.
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
I was initially considering turning down Oxford to go to Sheffield, seriously, because I thought student life would be a lot better at the latter.

Definitely not the case, you may get more 'fun' for 3 years elsewhere but note (a) Cambridge has parties, clubs, good ball events, it's a small sacrifice not having great clubs, (b) the long term prospects.

You may think it's 'cool' to say "I turned down Cambridge" but in fact a lot would think "What a muppet". You may end up pondering over "If only if I'd gone to Cambridge..."
"Pondering" - nice word choice
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
28.01%
No (568)
71.99%

Watched Threads