Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to know if these two degrees are actually worth the same thing. I heard someone say that the BSc is slighty more valued than the Bmedsci.

Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    explain..

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    It's all about the MA (Oxon). :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BRB)
    Assuming you mean the BMedSham from Nottingham?

Not worth the same thing - BMedSci is only worth 2 points, regardless of degree class, when applying for foundation years, whereas a first class BSc would net you 6 points.
    BMedSci is only worth 2 if it's part of your usual course. If you intercalate and get that (I'm not sure if anywhere does that though) and it extends your course by a year, then it's worth the same as a BSc or BA (which I have).

ReputationRep:
    I think Sheffield's intercalation is a BMedSci? Not certain though.

ReputationRep:
    ook i think i understand

so that means a BMedsci at Nottingham is worth less than a BMedsci at Birmingham (if you took a year out) and that a BMedsci at Birmingham or any other place (except Nottingham) has the same value as a BSc at Imperial (for example)

ReputationRep:
    Slightly off topic but what would a distance learning degree be worth? I mean say you did a BSc via distance learning and got a 1st, would this carry as much weight as an intercalated degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jules65)
    ook i think i understand

so that means a BMedsci at Nottingham is worth less than a BMedsci at Birmingham (if you took a year out) and that a BMedsci at Birmingham or any other place (except Nottingham) has the same value as a BSc at Imperial (for example)
    I think that Imperial has BMedSci as well...not sure though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydromancer)
    I think that Imperial has BMedSci as well...not sure though!
    Most places offer BSc and BMedSci intercalation options; degrees in different subjects to the same level have different titles.

For example; Biomedical Sciences might come with a BSc but Medical Education might come with as BMedEd and Community Health Science might come as BMedSci.

Nottingham's is different because it's a core part of their course and not an intercalation - it's like getting a degree for doing half of fourth year at any other school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    Slightly off topic but what would a distance learning degree be worth? I mean say you did a BSc via distance learning and got a 1st, would this carry as much weight as an intercalated degree?
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    nottingham's Bmedsci in its most candid form allows you to intercalate an Msc or PhD in less time than it takes elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    yes.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much a masters is worth compared to a BSc degree?

ReputationRep:
    Southampton now have the same course as Nottingham.

(Original post by aSian_cUtY)
    Does anyone know how much a masters is worth compared to a BSc degree?
    Masters is worth equivalent to a 2:1 Bsc (small bone of contention there) :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I think that's based on the normal BSc followed by MSc route. You get your points for a BSc and then you get your points for a masters on top of that. Although that does disadvantage those (few) who do an intercalated masters without a separate bachelors degree.

(My memory may be failing me though, I didn't spend an awful lot of time looking at that part of the form)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Southampton now have the same course as Nottingham.

aha.. but.

inte Bscs usually arent job related.

mscs are directly job related.

my msc rehab that i'm working towards will be enitirely relevant to the Rehab Medicine post that I am working towards, far more than any 2.1 Bsc - therefore the Msc as the edge over a bsc in job terms, for its ......greater specificity.

ReputationRep:
    i ope renals not rite!

ReputationRep:
    How much longer do you have to do if you want to convert your Bsc into an MSc?

ReputationRep:
    well an msc is a one year course at best, macca, if you check prospecti.

you gotta ask yourself why you are asking the length of the course, rather than asking about a specific topic to study.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.