Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bmedsci and Bsc watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    well an msc is a one year course at best, macca, if you check prospecti.

you gotta ask yourself why you are asking the length of the course, rather than asking about a specific topic to study.
    Im just curious to know - after all its quite a big commitment

Does undertaking an intercalated degree make you better equipped to head down the research path? And are you allowed to conduct your own research and publish papers while doing these degrees?

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt you be better off following up this when specific research paffs become of interest to you?

then your answers will be specific to the study you undertake, which will be specific to you.

until then, just focus on what you want.

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt you be better off following up this when specific research paffs become of interest to you?

then your answers will be specific to the study you undertake, which will be specific to you.

until then, just focus on what you want.
    Are you doing an MSc as part of your course Giz? (like intercalating or something) or is it plans for after graduating?

ReputationRep:
    er, yes and no, digi hehe.

during my course, but not intercalating, aye.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how a BA from Oxford/Cambridge would compare to all these BSc/BMedSci things...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah182)
    Just wondering how a BA from Oxford/Cambridge would compare to all these BSc/BMedSci things...?
    From what i understand there are all equal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jules65)
    From what i understand there are all equal
    Ahh okay, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah182)
    It's exactly the same for the UKFPO form (which states "any Bachelor's degree" - so if you did BA English and then did grad medicine, that would still count). For later career-type stuff, I presume they've seen enough people from Oxbridge to know that just because I have a BA doesn't mean I spent a year wearing floaty scarves and quoting Wordsworth. Though it'll be an MA by then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It's exactly the same for the UKFPO form (which states "any Bachelor's degree" - so if you did BA English and then did grad medicine, that would still count). For later career-type stuff, I presume they've seen enough people from Oxbridge to know that just because I have a BA doesn't mean I spent a year wearing floaty scarves and quoting Wordsworth. Though it'll be an MA by then
    Do you know if a BA from Oxbridge helps you when you apply for speciality training on MTAS?

I'm thinking of maybe intercalating but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Obviously I'll be more equipped to make a decision when I've finished 2 years of med school but just thinking about these things at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overclocked)
    Do you know if a BA from Oxbridge helps you when you apply for speciality training on MTAS?

I'm thinking of maybe intercalating but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Obviously I'll be more equipped to make a decision when I've finished 2 years of med school but just thinking about these things at the moment.
    It will depend massively on what you are applying for.

For example, application for GP training is done via an online form and has a section where you put down further qualifications in addition to primary medical qualifications, no idea how much it counts though.

Other applications vary depending on speciality and deanery. When my other half applied for anaesthetics 2 years ago in addition to getting points for publications and further degrees there where whole sections devoted to showing your commitment to x,y and z through further degrees, audit research etc.

Worth bearing in mind though that he applied to 5 deaneries and each one had a diffrent application form with different entry requirements!

ReputationRep:
    aha.. but.

inte Bscs usually arent job related.

mscs are directly job related.

my msc rehab that i'm working towards will be enitirely relevant to the Rehab Medicine post that I am working towards, far more than any 2.1 Bsc - therefore the Msc as the edge over a bsc in job terms, for its ......greater specificity.
    But I didn't do an Msc I did an MA. And everyone knows that points mean prizes!

Ahem.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.