Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I really like a guy I met online but when I met him I wasn't attracted to him... Watch

(Original post by AccioJellyBean)
    I would never meet up with someone from the internet before webcamming with them first, primarily because how else do you know they're who they say they are?!
    He sent me a picture...

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Just cut that one loose.

ReputationRep:
    Don't meet up with people before webcamming

/ thread

ReputationRep:
    A story as old as time. .

Two people meet ONLINE.

This is *DOOMED* to fail.

The whole time he was here he kept trying to hug me and I was so put off my the smell of his BO... I wish I had the guts to tell him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He sent me a picture...
    Yeah but in theory he could have found a picture of anyone and sent you that.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh noes! I don't suppose he wants to be just friends, I would gradually break contact with him - thats the wonder of the internet, it's easy to avoid people!

(Original post by AccioJellyBean)
    Yeah but in theory he could have found a picture of anyone and sent you that.
    That's true...but haha... it's not like he even cares how he presents himself!

ReputationRep:
    you're not attracted, end of any possible relationship. He sounds like an utter nerd, and a smelly one at that. Just be FB friends and meet some guy who is fanciable elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    That's true...but haha... it's not like he even cares how he presents himself!
    Yeah. I do think the webcam thing is important though. I've met up with LOADS of people from internet but I have made sure I have webcammed every single one of them first. So that I know who they are and also so you know what to expect from them.

ReputationRep:
    I never understand, how to people start to fancy each other over the internet. How do you even start talking to a stranger enough to get to that stage??

ReputationRep:
    Bad luck. I met my boyfriend online and I really fancy him.

You should apply for Take Me Out

ReputationRep:
    IRL fail.

I know exactly how you feel. I was friends with some for a year and a half, and we got on very well online and used to talk a lot about anything and everything. And it was purely friendship. He used to talk about girls, and I used to talk about guys I liked etc so simply friends. Then we started developing feelings for each other but neither said anything, and we decided to meet. (But of course we spoke on phone etc). But when we met, oh my... he was SO shy and I was fine and all talkative etc. But he looked so much worse than from the photos I'd seen, and I was not at all attracted to him from then on but his personality was a bit dry and it seemed like he was trying to hard to impress by just talking about what i liked, which I know is sweet etc but I like to have a conversation. Not have a conversation about me and what I like. And it was so unbelievably awkward. Needless to say I didn't want to meet up again, but he did. But I dont know I think by meeting up, we ruined our friendship. And now it annoys me whenever he tries to talk to me online, and look back on it as just wasting my time. We used to talk all the time. But he's just clingy now. :/ I wish I didnt feel this way, but when we met I wasnt attracted to his personality or appearance. I think by just talking to someone online, you can somehow exaggerate the good things about them and somehow end up with a false representation of them.

ReputationRep:
    oh. my. god. that is social suicide, he is going in the burn book

The whole time he was here he kept trying to hug me and I was so put off my the smell of his BO... I wish I had the guts to tell him.
    The person I met had the same hugging issue too (ffs if I dont initiate it it means I dont want a ****ing hug and seeing as he initiated it like 10 times, and me not even once... it may indicate something). But mine didnt smell, sorta went a bit OTT on man perfume/aftershave.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him he isn't your type and be done with it. no point beating around the bush..

ReputationRep:
    er duh. that;s the risk of the internet so,,,your fault.

The person I met had the same hugging issue too (ffs if I dont initiate it it means I dont want a f**king hug and seeing as he initiated it like 10 times, and me not even once... it may indicate something). But mine didnt smell, sorta went a bit OTT on man perfume/aftershave.
    Maybe it's the same guy who decided to go in the other direction and not wash in case the aftershave put people off!

... really this guy who hug me every 5 seconds and it was kind of a creepy hug where he'd stand still, raise his shoulders and stretch his arms like a zombie and then squeeze me hard. I'd try to duck but I think I came across to him as playful or something. I ducked because the smell was so bad.

The thing is.... he's a really really good listener... but we do disagree on many things. I don't even think he believes in monogamy... but I think it's because he's so eager for love he's spreading his net wide. Half of me really misses his dry sense of humour and his brains (really clever guy! but the other half just remembers his high pitched giggle and the fact he had to text his mum every day at the same time... + the BO and really dodgy high waisted trouser thing.

I don't talk to him now.. well he keeps emailing me every couple of weeks asking how I am.... I do want to start talking again, but he starts telling me how beautiful I am and how much he misses me and because I like him online I start to think did I imagine all the bad things in person.. but I didn't, so I just have to stop myself from replying often because then he gets clingy and I feel annoyed/lonely.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.