Turn on thread page Beta

I really like a guy I met online but when I met him I wasn't attracted to him... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    Why do you feel the need to shrug off what I'm saying by making out 'it's pointless'? Could not think of anything at all to actually say? Brain dead? :mmm:

Because it was? Okay, you think my profile is pretentious. A painting I didn't paint, a quote from someone else, the verse of a song in French and a few song quotes, and a few graphs which are the only thing that are even about me.

If that's pretentious then hey we clearly have different definitions of the word.

ReputationRep:
    Definition-

pretentiousness - the quality of being pretentious (behaving or speaking in such a manner as to create a false appearance of great importance or worth)

Do I really need to explain?
    Oooh, feeling *****y are we?

I guess not having a profile which is

'I LUFF MY BOYFRIEND AND SHOPPING
    I got AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB, at GCSE
    Add me on msn
    I go to SUSSEX High WOO WOO'

makes me pretentious. I disagree but hey I'll sleep tonight.

ReputationRep:
    *****y?? I only said 'do I really need to explain?' :confused: ...talk about sensitive, did I hit a soft spot? :mmm:

People can be pretentious in many more ways than one.

You must be very pretentious, as you have replied to the comments about you, but not to the ones that was the subject to begin with....
    You didn't hit a spot at all. :confused:

And wtf, I didn't even reply to the OP, I just corrected you, you've gone on this whole rant against me, clearly you're the one who doesn't like being corrected. Everything you've replied has been about me, so no shock - I reply to posts about me.

That's proper logic there that is!!!!11111 :yes:

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm on about. You incorrectly corrected me. it's not a rant, it's merely proving you wrong, which I did and haven't replied back, as you're more concerned about me thinking you're pretentious.

This was like an hour ago...
    It's not as stupid as a reply that tells someone they gave the stupidest reply they could have. In the English Language, it's 'ise'. The Americans spell it 'ize'. The whole reason they spell it that way is because of how their dialect makes them say words differently and also because of Webster's dictionary. So unless you talk like an American, you shouldn't be writing 'ize'.
    So there you go

/discussion
    No.

Oxford dictionary > Websters.

American spelling accepts only -ize endings in most cases, such as organize, recognize, and realize.[49] British usage accepts both -ize and -ise (organize/organise, recognize/recognise, realize/realise).[49] British English using -ize is known as Oxford spelling, and is used in publications of the Oxford University Press, most notably the Oxford English Dictionary, as well as other authoritative British sources. The OED lists the -ise form separately, as "a frequent spelling of -IZE..."[50] It firmly deprecates usage of "-ise" for words of Greek origin, stating, "[T]he suffix..., whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Greek -ιζειν, Latin -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling in -iser should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic." It maintains "... some have used the spelling -ise in English, as in French, for all these words, and some prefer -ise in words formed in French or English from Latin elements, retaining -ize for those of Greek composition."[51] Noah Webster rejected -ise for the same reasons.[52] However other references, including Fowler's Modern English Usage, now give prominence to the -ise suffix over -ize.[53] The Cambridge University Press, older established but more forward-looking than the Oxford institution,[54][55] has long favored -ise.[53] Perhaps as a reaction to the ascendancy of American spelling, the -ize spelling is now rarely used in the UK mass media and newspapers, to the extent that it is often incorrectly regarded as an Americanism.

ReputationRep:
    **** me man, you just googled it and took it off Wikipedia or something.

How can I possibly compete against google? You lose because you didn't know this prior!
    What? Do you think I googled it before I corrected you? Seriously you're making no sense.

I'm going bed now, quote me again if you're still spoiling for an argument.

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    What? Do you think I googled it before I corrected you? Seriously you're making no sense.

I'm going bed now, quote me again if you're still spoiling for an argument.
    No, googled it after. You only said about the dicitionary, not everything else.

You say that as though, I'm the one who started talking to you first, don't think so much of yourself.:mmm: From what I gathered you were right, next time you correct someone give them all the information, not just say a little bit then google it to try and find more justification...it's just, real lame.

ReputationRep:
    No, googled it after. You only said about the dicitionary, not everything else.

You say that as though, I'm the one who started talking to you first, don't think so much of yourself.:mmm: From what I gathered you were right, next time you correct someone give them all the information, not just say a little bit then google it to try and find more justification...it's just, real lame.

So, next time I'm right, don't find evidence after stating it to further prove my point.

Okay, got it, I, uh, think. Oh, no wait, actually..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Context matters - heck if I had a hot, smart guy chasing me I'd be happy. Well.... clinginess I can't stand. There needs to be the right balance of 'I want you, I needs you' and manliness. Are you unsure about the hot guy.. maybe try getting some (mutual) friends together and invite him along

I know the perfect guy for you!

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    So, next time I'm right, don't find evidence after stating it to further prove my point.

Okay, got it, I, uh, think. Oh, no wait, actually..
    Lol, you, uh, haven't got it. You give the evidence as soon as you make the claim. It's usually evidence that you know is correct too, not just the first piece of information that agrees with your thesis...eg- wikipedia.

ReputationRep:
    you werent so hot yourself

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you, uh, haven't got it. You give the evidence as soon as you make the claim. It's usually evidence that you know is correct too, not just the first piece of information that agrees with your thesis...eg- wikipedia.
    I vaguely skimmed your little debate, but it looks like you got pwned, sir :p:

(Original post by PrimateJ)
    I vaguely skimmed your little debate, but it looks like you got pwned, sir :p:
    I did, I was semi-right but he/she used google =(

ReputationRep:
    I did, I was semi-right but he/she used google =(
    You are highly irritating. Get a freaking grip.

That is all.

:mmm:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The perils of online dating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z332008)
    dont date online its never a good end its just desperation
    This :yes: its just weird/awkward and.. :talkhand: You have to be sure you'd meet the person once at least, otherwise i don't see the point :dontknow:

to OP :facepalm2: at least next time you won't make the same mistake.
    Tell the guy that you'd noticed some things that 'got your attention'.
    and if he says he 'misses you'. could reply with "What is their to miss? I still talk to you "
    Good luck with him

Well, he might have had a sweating condition however:

1) He obviously wore no deodorant/antiperspirant
    2)His hair got progressively greasier each day I saw him
    3)He wore the same trousers/shirt everyday for a week (although he rotate the t shirts he wore but if he had worn it before it stank of stale sweat)

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this vague answer. What made you, the OP, so good looking? I bet he thinks the same about you...and chances are he won't be attracted to you when he finds out what you've been saying behind his back.
    £10 you are an unattractive person who doesn't like to wash. Just sayin' :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    It's not as stupid as a reply that tells someone they gave the stupidest reply they could have. In the English Language, it's 'ise'. The Americans spell it 'ize'. The whole reason they spell it that way is because of how their dialect makes them say words differently and also because of Webster's dictionary. So unless you talk like an American, you shouldn't be writing 'ize'.
    Well we did used to use 'ize' before we used 'ise', not to mention that etymologically 'ize' makes more sense. Seeing as though they are both pronounced the same your point doesn't make much sense.

(Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Well we did used to use 'ize' before we used 'ise', not to mention that etymologically 'ize' makes more sense. Seeing as though they are both pronounced the same your point doesn't make much sense.
    I'm not the one who said that Americans and British say 'ise' differently, blame Webster! Man...you people...are like parrots?

(Original post by BrightGirl)
    £10 you are an unattractive person who doesn't like to wash. Just sayin' :fyi:
    You owe me a tenner, I shower everyday and have a fair amount of knowledge in dermatology. Unattractive? :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.