Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello there,

Okay, I really want to learn German. Not only would it prove useful to know another language, but German sounds pretty awesome.

So, any advise? Such as how is the best way to learn (without leaving the country), should I use Rosetta Stone or things like it?

Thank you,

I have been using this website www.livemocha.com to learn hindi, it is alot like rosetta stone but free! I found it fairly useful so it might be worth a look for you

I'm currently doing German A-Level, it's a very interesting language.
    I personally hate Rosetta stone, it's too much of a memory test rather than actually teaching you the language.
    I think you should get yourself a beginner's language kit, but make sure there's some sort of audio aspect! No amount of reading the transliteration will make you understand how it's supposed to sound.
    Also, try and immerse yourself in the language as much as you possibly can, watch German news clips, read children's books etc.

I would say the best way to learn is by finding a class somewhere. A language is there to be spoken, and without somebody else who knows how to speak the language your pronunciation could be way off what it is supposed to be. Even if you aren't at school/college/uni you can probably find a place near you that runs introductory classes, check out say local FE colleges.

Use Assimil. It's pretty good from what I've seen, but you have to use their method for it to work. I think it takes a more natural approach to learning a language as I think it wants you to get a real feel for the language rather than memorising all the genders; One of its rules is to not learn anything by heart.

You need the book and the audio.

If you buy the book with the audio, I think it costs about £40-60. But, the audio's copyright has expired so you can download it legally from the link I've given.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.