Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone given money to the Haiti earthquake fund? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayostunner)
    what is your problem ???
    these people are humans just like you ..if something like this ever happened to you how would you feel if no one cared?

You're disgusting :mad:

it is the responsbility of their government to sort out haiti's problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Remind me to +rep you tommorow, i used todays negging that idiot
    lol did the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antithesis)
    This is ridiculous, and frankly offensive. Of course it wouldn't - it's one of the poorest nations on Earth. It could not give you money. It doesn't have the capacity. It's like saying 'Oh look, a small child is drowning. I could jump in a try to save her, but probably won't because if I were drowning, no 2-year-olds would come to save me'.

Morality isn't something you sell.
    even if it had money it wouldn't give us money, i doubt we would get very little or little amount of aid even from rich countries, maybe the US will help the frogs won't, if the third world countries were rich they wouldn't give us money.

our government gave what £6 million or billion to the aid yet where did they get the money from? we're supposedly in a recession and also the government has to make cut backs in public spending yet again yet they can give all that money to them and not help improve this country

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to donate next week. UNICEF I think or the Red Cross. Red Cross have already made $5million from a text service in America. They should do that here.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. No disposable cash to give.

ReputationRep:
    Part of me is shocked at the number of petty/pretentious psuedo-objections to aid relief involving the line 'but they wouldn't do the same for us' that some people (a minority, thankfully) keep restating. The rest of me is encouraged by the general sense of selflessness and concern for the people in Haiti.

I think the DEC is the best to give support to, since they seem to be capable or coordinating and distributing funds to the constituent groups.

ReputationRep:
    no i havnt, i have better things to spend my money on if im honest, im saving for a treadmill or cross trainer, a newcastle top and putting money away for tattoos/nights out
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No.

All the money I have I need. If I was fairly rich, or had a lot of excess cash I may have.

ReputationRep:
    I've given some, will donate more when I can get onto my internet banking and work out how much I can afford to give. I'm absolutely astonished by how self absorbed some people on this forum are.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sending some of my clothes which don't fit me anymore

ReputationRep:
    Why do people feel some form of compulsion to act whenever a disaster is plastered in front of them? It seems to me like people give because it's seen as the right thing to do. It seems somewhat like a fashion, or a reaction to personal insecurities and guilt over being more fortunate. What about the terrible conditions ordinarily experienced by many away from the spotlight?

If people really cared (as I'm sure many of you do), they would take the time to educate themselves about the way in which we can actually help countries long term, rather than responding in a knee jerk fashion whenever we are told it is the right thing to do. Money may or may not save lives in this instance. It may end up directly aiding those who need it, or it may end up with the relatively fortunate. Once the personal feeling of guilt is suppressed people worry not.

Maybe it would be more beneficial to invest time and thought (rather than money) into improving the fortunes of third world countries. Ok, right now it may well be applicable or necessary, but following that... when the cameras move on, when attention is diverted, when people cease to care. What then? If people truly cared they would look into how we can change the World so that in future other countries are not overly reliant on the impact of the TV cameras and the subsequent compulsion of the privileged to act.

Take development in general. It is often all too easy for those in power (or those with a voice) to encourage needlessly throwing money at a problem. It is the easy way to look good. Who cares if it's bull... it sure sells the t shirts.

ReputationRep:
    My mum gave £100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayscout)
    I've given some, will donate more when I can get onto my internet banking and work out how much I can afford to give. I'm absolutely astonished by how self absorbed some people on this forum are.
    Yeah especially that retard 2 posts above you...I've seen a couple of her posts..shes frekin heartless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Yeah especially that retard 2 posts above you...I've seen a couple of her posts..shes frekin heartless.
    yes, yes i am

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I donate money to charity it just gets me thinking about how much one could make setting up a charity.

As such I tend to avoid doing so for the greater good.

ReputationRep:
    Which sites will accept PayPal?

Also, people please look at a posters rep before taking there post seriously and wasting your time replying. If a poster has a collection of red gems it's pretty clear they are a troll and deliberately posting nonsense to prokove a response. Don't waste your time!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my colleges Student Senior Leadership team and were organising a fund raising day and a collection morning during one of out briefings for donations.

ReputationRep:
    I will do on Monday, college is doing a collection.
    I'll just give whatever's in my money box, it's not much but it's something.

ReputationRep:
    will do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baz1990)
    it is the responsbility of their government to sort out haiti's problems.
    You realise their government is screwed, half the buildings are destroyed, representatives are laying dead and the president is probably sleeping in a tent.

I hope next time something happens to you where you need other peoples help they just walk by and tell you that its your own problem.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.