Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    That person was also talking about 'disgusting attitudes' of people on TSR and making it out as though they were better than those people because they were donating £100.
    Well not really he did say the attitudes of some people on tsr is rediculious. Which i completly agree with. I'm not saying that includes you but there are definatly people on this thread and others who made it out to be like "why should we give donations".."their lives shouldnt be held equally to ours since they are poverty stricken".

(Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Well not really he did say the attitudes of some people on tsr is rediculious. Which i completly agree with. I'm not saying that includes you but there are definatly people on this thread and others who made it out to be like "why should we give donations".."their lives shouldnt be held equally to ours since they are poverty stricken".
    No, no one is saying that as far as I can see.

We pay a massive percentage of our income for there to be an infrastructure so that if something happened the government will respond.

If we are going to give everyone aid who gets a problem, then countries will stop doing this, because people will come bail them out when **** hits the fan and so they cant be bothered to improve.

ReputationRep:
    People don't need to give a huge amount if they can't, just £5 can be donated on here
    http://www.dec.org.uk/
    A little is better than nothing...

Oh and I just donated some then saw this thread!

ReputationRep:
    yeah fair enough, donate whatever you can

but tbh if you're like " i don't care why should i give anything to a charity", well you're just a ****

ReputationRep:
    No, I am not kidding you.
    Well if anything like that happens to your family, I'd love to see your reaction then when the tables are turned.

Ignorant fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    No, no one is saying that as far as I can see.

We pay a massive percentage of our income for there to be an infrastructure so that if something happened the government will respond.

If we are going to give everyone aid who gets a problem, then countries will stop doing this, because people will come bail them out when **** hits the fan and so they cant be bothered to improve.
    Why are you thinking in terms of governement and politics? If I see a child who has lost thier mother, the firs thing that comes into my mind is to help all I can for that poor child... I really couldn't give a crap about infastructre or anything that involves political "theory". We are human beings first and foremost, and we have to help each other in time of need; we don't live in an age of apathy.

(Original post by J DOT A)
    Why are you thinking in terms of governement and politics? If I see a child who has lost thier mother, the firs thing that comes into my mind is to help all I can for that poor child... I really couldn't give a crap about infastructre or anything that involves political "theory". We are human beings first and foremost, and we have to help each other in time of need; we don't live in an age of apathy.
    Because I am taking human emotions which make us weak and think irrationally out of it.

All you are doing is causing the country more damage in the long run ultimately.

ReputationRep:
    Well if anything like that happens to your family, I'd love to see your reaction then when the tables are turned.

Ignorant fool.
    Oh, playing the family card are we?

Just out of interest, why do you think I'm not donating any money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    Yeh i tried on the day the news broke, but couldnt the site then. Now i cant find my card so gona post cash/cheque.
    I wouldn't post cash if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    That's a good idea, how do you do that?
    Theres a local organization doing something towards it here, im gonna hook something up within the next few days

ReputationRep:
    I might donate about £5 but not more because a lot of it gets eaten up by corruption and red tape also I'm tightfisted and poor.

ReputationRep:
    Please please don't donate to a Haiti fund

Charities hate earmarked funds, it makes their job much harder (they only do it for the publicity). If you donate money to a Haiti fund which they end up not being able to use they can't use it for other disasters as it's earmarked. The Red Cross still has $550 million in it's Asian tsunami fund which would be much better spent now on other disaster areas like Haiti, but they're prevented from doing so.

Pick a charity you trust to spend the money well and give them the money unrestricted and let them use it most effectively in Haiti or elsewhere.

My personal choice of charities is MSF (http://www.msf.org.uk/supportus.aspx) who do an excellent job and do it with minimal overheads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    yes, yes i am
    Seeing the way you look, its of little surprise. You also claim you work from home, no shame in saying you life off benefits :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, playing the family card are we?

Just out of interest, why do you think I'm not donating any money?
    No I'm not playing the family card, you said yourself you wern't going to donate money... but I don't care about that because that isn't the issue, the issue is, is that you think we shouldn't help these people who have had thier lives turned upside down in a matter of minutes. So what if the country is corrupt ect? we still have a right to help these people regardless. The words Human decency and compassion comes to mind...

maybe your hat in your profile pic is on too tight for your head and is restricting the blood flow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Because I am taking human emotions which make us weak and think irrationally out of it.

All you are doing is causing the country more damage in the long run ultimately.
    Human emotions does not make us weak?
    Unless your telling me your some apathetic robot who doesn't respond to emotions and will ultimatley live a lonely life, good for you. Emotions are subject to perception, and you not feeling any emotion is an emotion itself so your logic is fail.

Stop trying to be a sociopath, you know that helping these people is the right thing to do. And I'm pretty sure that the funds raised by average joe's like you and me will help alot more then us doing nothing.

Human emotions does not make us weak?
    Unless your telling me your some apathetic robot who doesn't respond to emotions and will ultimatley live a lonely life, good for you. Emotions are subject to perception, and you not feeling any emotion is an emotion itself so your logic is fail.

Stop trying to be a sociopath, you know that helping these people is the right thing to do. And I'm pretty sure that the funds raised by average joe's like you and me will help alot more then us doing nothing.
    Yes human emotions make us weak, we only see the immediate problem and have no comprehension of the long term.

And no, leaving them to re-build themselves will do far far far more.

Look at Africa.

And no, not feeling emotion is not an emotion, what retardedness, don't try to be a smart arse, your not good at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antithesis)
    This is ridiculous, and frankly offensive. Of course it wouldn't - it's one of the poorest nations on Earth. It could not give you money. It doesn't have the capacity. It's like saying 'Oh look, a small child is drowning. I could jump in a try to save her, but probably won't because if I were drowning, no 2-year-olds would come to save me'.

Morality isn't something you sell.
    I have to +ve rep u 2moro!
    I used todays to give that troll some TSR hatin'!!

ReputationRep:
    I gave £10

ReputationRep:
    No.

(Original post by saab_101)
    Yeah, because this country needs that money for improvement sooooo much more than Haiti :rolleyes:

Plus, an earthquake would have to be ******* severe to take out the whole UK emergency services to the extent that we required a large amount of external help.
    There are homeless people in our country, where it is - whatever temperature.

So yes there are people in the UK who need it just as much as they do.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.