Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Antithesis)
    That is truly a disturbingly callous thing to say, especially with a sort of strangely-nonchalent, dismissive offhandedness. There are newly-orphaned children with absolutely no idea what to do or where to go, bodies lining the streets, thousands still trapped, and very little time left to prevent starvation, dehydration and disease coming to the forefront of the disaster, and you don't care? How dare you?

Every new news report is devastatingly tragic. I feel terrified for Haiti.
    No one is saying they do not care.

Your initial post about the child and the pond.

If I knew when I got the kid out he was going to jump right back in, and would when I wasn't there to help it, then yes I would let it drown.
    If it lived it would come out stronger and realise that it had to fight for itself, if it did not then well... life is a ***** and you can't stop everything.

Look at Africa, aid there has done nothing. They still go around having 8 kids because then someone comes and gives them food. If that was taken away, sure many would die, but then they would realise they needed to sort there economic situation out to survive in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    No one is saying they do not care.

Your initial post about the child and the pond.

If I knew when I got the kid out he was going to jump right back in, and would when I wasn't there to help it, then yes I would let it drown.
    If it lived it would come out stronger and realise that it had to fight for itself, if it did not then well... life is a ***** and you can't stop everything.

Look at Africa, aid there has done nothing. They still go around having 8 kids because then someone comes and gives them food. If that was taken away, sure many would die, but then they would realise they needed to sort there economic situation out to survive in the long term.
    A very ignorant comment by someone who has little insight into the work that charities do in Africa. Thanks to humans having the decency to support those less fortunate, many lives have been saved and continue to be saved across the world. Not everyone in life is born into a wealthy, fortunate world and when disasters like the one in Haiti occur, it is up to us - the fortunate ones - to help. Anything else, the economic or political situation of a country is forgotten. Life comes first.

(Original post by cje10)
    A very ignorant comment by someone who has little insight into the work that charities do in Africa. Thanks to humans having the decency to support those less fortunate, many lives have been saved and continue to be saved across the world. Not everyone in life is born into a wealthy, fortunate world and when disasters like the one in Haiti occur, it is up to us - the fortunate ones - to help. Anything else, the economic or political situation of a country is forgotten. Life comes first.
    Yes many ****** up lives have been saved.

And now Africans think they can have 6 kids because they will get aid for it.

So now its getting to an even bigger mess.

So no, not ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    Heart breaking reading through some of these posts by ignorant individuals. What a sad reflection on the standard of humans in 2010. Devestating.

ReputationRep:
    You mean foreign aid that did nothing to help starvations in Ethiopia, Malawi, Kenya etc? That did nothing to help child soldiers in Angola and the survivors of massacres in Rwanda and Sudan?

Yes you are incredibly ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    no i havnt, i have better things to spend my money on if im honest, im saving for a treadmill or cross trainer, a newcastle top and putting money away for tattoos/nights out
    My heart bleeds for you. If you need more funds PM me and I'll get a few fund raising activities going to make sure you don't become unfit or have a boring night in for a long time.

You ******* disgusting individual, completely disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Yes many ****** up lives have been saved.

And now Africans think they can have 6 kids because they will get aid for it.

So now its getting to an even bigger mess.

So no, not ignorant.
    That is total BS.

Africans have large families because poorer people as a general rule do have larger families. One reason is that child mortality is a lot higher so a lot of those children don't live to adulthood.

If people stop giving aid all that will happen is more people will die. Wake up. These people can't just "develop", there is nothing there for them. No industry, no money, in a lot of cases no food or clean water. And often at the complete mercy of the warlords and militia which hold power in many parts of Africa.

So yes, very ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Seeing the way you look, its of little surprise. You also claim you work from home, no shame in saying you life off benefits :lol:

what the hell has my looks got to do with anything, got nowt to say so you resort to getting personal :rofl:

oh and im not on benefits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    My heart bleeds for you. If you need more funds PM me and I'll get a few fund raising activities going to make sure you don't become unfit or have a boring night in for a long time.

You ******* disgusting individual, completely disgusting.

im full of care for what you think of me

(Original post by Nuada)
    That is total BS.

Africans have large families because poorer people as a general rule do have larger families. One reason is that child mortality is a lot higher so a lot of those children don't live to adulthood.

If people stop giving aid all that will happen is more people will die. Wake up. These people can't just "develop", there is nothing there for them. No industry, no money, in a lot of cases no food or clean water. And often at the complete mercy of the warlords and militia which hold power in many parts of Africa.

So yes, very ignorant.
    IF YOU CANT AFFORD KIDS DONT HAVE THEM.

SAME APPLIES TO AFRICANS, TEENAGERS HERE OR ANYONE.

Yes people will die and Africa will realise it can't sustain its current population and will sort itself out.

Yeah and guess where some of that aid goes? Yeah into guns.

ReputationRep:
    IF YOU CANT AFFORD KIDS DONT HAVE THEM.

SAME APPLIES TO AFRICANS, TEENAGERS HERE OR ANYONE.

Yes people will die and Africa will realise it can't sustain its current population and will sort itself out.

Yeah and guess where some of that aid goes? Yeah into guns.
    Yea I'm sure Africa will just "sort itself out". Happy endings and all that.

And I doubt most people's first thoughts when it comes to having a child is "can I afford one". It is simply human nature to have a family. No way are people going to think "there are too many people here and not enough money; therefore I can't have a family."

And btw another reason they have large families is so that they can work and to look after them when they are old.

And yes some of the money is spent on guns. Food, medicine, teachers and doctors are difficult to turn into guns however; hence why the charities bring aid + aid workers instead of just writing the local regime a cheque.

Africa's problems will not solve themselves. The poverty is too great and corruption too rife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    I wouldn't post cash if I were you.
    Thanks for the advice, i now view the dangers of money postage in a new light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cje10)
    I'm afraid regards Africa aid usually has a net negative effect. The first live aid actually provided money that prolonged a civil war. Even little things like say providing free shoes causes problems because it puts local shoe-makers out of business and gives rise to a culture of dependancy, thus leading to no development. Also Africans are having far, far to many children.

Africa, with 13% of the world's population, is projected to see 34% of the globe's population increase over the next 50 years
    A continent that cannout sustain it's existance properly now should not be having such huge growth rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuada)
    Africa's problems will not solve themselves. The poverty is too great and corruption too rife.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123758895999200083.html

Actually the countries that try and sort themselves out, for example post-genocide Rwanda, are often the most succesful. It's patronising to say that they will not solve themselvs. We can help through carefully targetted aid and support for democracy and support for investment in the continent but if Africa is to develop it has to be Africans, not Oxfam, leading development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    You realise their government is screwed, half the buildings are destroyed, representatives are laying dead and the president is probably sleeping in a tent.

I hope next time something happens to you where you need other peoples help they just walk by and tell you that its your own problem.

i don't need other people's help.

ReputationRep:
    There are homeless people in our country, where it is - whatever temperature.

So yes there are people in the UK who need it just as much as they do.
    I disagree, i'm not saying that they don't need help at all, they do, but I'd say that the Haitians that are trapped under collapsed buildings etc are in a slightly more urgent situation, at the present moment.

(Original post by saab_101)
    I disagree, i'm not saying that they don't need help at all, they do, but I'd say that the Haitians that are trapped under collapsed buildings etc are in a slightly more urgent situation, at the present moment.
    Without charities.

A fair amount of homeless would have died this winter.

ReputationRep:
    to all the fools who have donated to the haiti relief programmes, do you intend to make similar donations to charities like shelter to help people living in this country?

ReputationRep:
    Without charities.

A fair amount of homeless would have died this winter.
    No doubt, but it's not as though we can't spare some money and resources to help out in Haiti at the moment.

(Original post by saab_101)
    No doubt, but it's not as though we can't spare some money and resources to help out in Haiti at the moment.
    But we cannot spare it for our own people who if charities had not come to the rescue, would have died?

Seems pretty ****** up logic to me personally.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.