The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Baz1990
to all the fools who have donated to the haiti relief programmes, do you intend to make similar donations to charities like shelter to help people living in this country?

Actually, I make a point of donating at least a fiver a month to two different charities, one international and one UK, unless I am completely and utterly broke :smile:
Reply 101
I'm sure you are all feeling very pleased with yourselves! Stop it now
Rucklo
But we cannot spare it for our own people who if charities had not come to the rescue, would have died?

Seems pretty ****** up logic to me personally.

Not really, since most of those people are currently in no immediate danger, whereas if Haiti does not receive the aid that it needs, thousands if not tens of thousands more will die.
Reply 103
Rucklo
Without charities.

A fair amount of homeless would have died this winter.

Surely the death of more homeless is a good thing. These types are detrimental to society. who is with me
Reply 104
ttocserp
Surely the death of more homeless is a good thing. These types are detrimental to society. who is with me

Troll.
Yep, went through the DEC website. My donation won't affect me in the short run but it will definately have more of an effect on the people out there.
I'll donate some when I get some money next week;
I'm owed about 40 pounds.

Seems like there's some pretty selfish people on here;
but also some really generous ones :smile:
Nope. I cannot afford to. There are also problems in this country that need to be dealt with, too.
Baz1990
i don't need other people's help.

I hope im there when you get diagnosed with cancer. Should be good seeing you tell that to the doctors.
I've donated $100.

$50 of that is my allowance for this week and the other $50 is from some money I got for Christmas that I still haven't spent.
Reply 110
Moe Lester
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123758895999200083.html

Actually the countries that try and sort themselves out, for example post-genocide Rwanda, are often the most succesful. It's patronising to say that they will not solve themselvs. We can help through carefully targetted aid and support for democracy and support for investment in the continent but if Africa is to develop it has to be Africans, not Oxfam, leading development.

I actuallly agree with the article you posted :smile: I already said that aid needs to be in a concrete form instead of just money because of the corruption. The other thing of course is that there is a difference between "emergency aid" e.g. food, water and emergency shelter, which is for cases like we have in Haiti at the moment, and "long term aid" to try and get a country on it's own feet economically - to provide education, to make the land farmable (don't know if that's a word :p: ), to provide decent, *relatively* well paid jobs and enable african people to start sitting up their own businesses.

Of course there are two other big problems. One is that the giant corporations which have the ability to provide jobs in Africa and so allow the wealth to flow in, do not want to pay workers a fair wage or pay a good price for african exports - they want to spend as little money as possible to maximise their profits. And the other is the corrupt regimes and military juntas that hold power in these countries. Rwanda is a perfect example - it was ruled by a miltitary regime which led it to civil war and the horrific genocide. With a government founded on principles of unity, equality and later democracy, has enabled it to rebuild itself.

Now Rwanda has done this on it's own, but there is no reason why the international community should have left it to itself - the fact that little was done to prevent the genocide is shameful. There is also no reason why the Western world should not do what it can to precipitate political and economic change in Africa.
Reply 111
I did, donated £35 of unwanted mobile credit accumulated over 3 sim cards i had under my desk (via the DEC text number) a great way to spend unwanted credit in my opinion.
Reply 112
(edited 13 years ago)
Red Cross is better. And they take less money out of the donations for themselves.
havnt and wont

Latest

Trending

Trending