Turn on thread page Beta

Should I sleep with him? watch

Announcements

K keep anon please. I'm eighteen, first year of uni. I've been in two relationships, each lasting a year and broke up with my last boyfriend in October after the uni thing wasn't working out. I've recently started casually seeing someone at university - we got off a few times and went out for a drink a few more times. Recently we've spent some more time together and I do really like him and he likes me, but I'm pretty sure (as is he) that I don't want a relationship at the moment.

My real question is, does this mean I should stop seeing him altogether? I don't like the idea of someone just being "in it for the sex" - even if it's not serious I like the idea that it wouldn't be completely meaningless because I do like him, and so am a little wary in case that is all he is interested in (though this might just be paranoia). Also, there is the possibility I would start to want a relationship and then he still wouldn't, and then it could be really messy.

On the other hand... why not? I do like him, I don't want anything serious right now and I've never been with someone not in a serious way (another reason it feels a little bit different, I suppose). What do you think/experiences?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if the opportunity arises. Go with the flow, see where it takes you.

You might not like each other in time and as so long as it's kept casual and you don't have so much sex that he expects it then you should have a ball.

ReputationRep:
    Is that you, Emily?

In the words of JD from Scrubs - be "sex buddies".

ReputationRep:
    I have read nothing but the title of the thread...

Answer Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    K keep anon please. I'm eighteen, first year of uni. I've been in two relationships, each lasting a year and broke up with my last boyfriend in October after the uni thing wasn't working out. I've recently started casually seeing someone at university - we got off a few times and went out for a drink a few more times. Recently we've spent some more time together and I do really like him and he likes me, but I'm pretty sure (as is he) that I don't want a relationship at the moment.

My real question is, does this mean I should stop seeing him altogether? I don't like the idea of someone just being "in it for the sex" - even if it's not serious I like the idea that it wouldn't be completely meaningless because I do like him, and so am a little wary in case that is all he is interested in (though this might just be paranoia). Also, there is the possibility I would start to want a relationship and then he still wouldn't, and then it could be really messy.

On the other hand... why not? I do like him, I don't want anything serious right now and I've never been with someone not in a serious way (another reason it feels a little bit different, I suppose). What do you think/experiences?
    If he doesnt want a relationship then it can only be that he is in it purely for sex and laughs. Its not a bad thing for you to do as long as you dont develop feelings for a relationship, which youve said yourself is a possibility. If you did then it will negatively effect you, your 'friendship' and your uni work - so if there is any chance dont do it.

But from your post and your 'I really like him', 'why not?' with 'I do really like him' and 'ive never been with someone not in a serious way', makes it easy to see:
    You will sleep with him and it will end messy either as a one off or as **** buddies and if youre thinking thats not what this is then youre kidding yourself - seeing someone 'casually' with no intention of a serious relationship = 2 people sleeping together with no commitment = **** buddies.

So, sleeping with someone you like after some casual dates and not doing it again or doing it as **** buddies (whether you end up wanting a relationship with him or not), will be bad for you.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't, but yeah, you could just be sex buddies. Just be honest with your feelings and with him, if it starts to become more to you, talk to him, don't just stick with it hoping he will fall for you. Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.