Turn on thread page Beta

Advanced Higher Chemistry Investigation help - Olive oil watch

ReputationRep:
    I am carrying out experiments to find the peroxide value of olive oil at different temperatures (fridge, room, 40, 60 and 80 degrees celsius). I am using “Sainsbury’s mild olive oil”. It is composed of refined and virgin olive oils. I have outlined the procedure below:

The oil was kept at the above temperatures for a week before the titrations. About 5g of olive oil was mixed with 30cm3 of a 3:2 (by volume) of glacial acetic acid and hexane in an ultrasonic water bath for 2 mins. Then about 0.5cm3 of saturated potassium iodide was added to the solution and swirled for 1 minute. Then 30cm3 of de-ionised water was added to the mixture. The mixture was titrated with 0.001mol l-1 sodium thiosulphate solution (rather than 0.01mol l-1 to give a larger titre) until the yellow colour of the iodide had almost disappeared. Then about 0.5cm3 of starch solution was added to act as indicator, and the titration was continued until the blue/black colour had disappeared. The final titre volume was recorded. A blank titration without the sample was also carried out.

The questions I have are as follows:

I am finding it difficult to get concordant titre volumes (within 0.1cm3). I am getting differences of more than 1 cm3. Should I be getting them? Could it be explained because there are two stages in the titration? Could the concentration of sodium thiosulphate affect the end-point? What PV values are expected at different temperatures?

ReputationRep:
    I think this should be moved to 'Scottish Qualifications'.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I'm new to this.
    I don't know how to move this thread or delete it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Trouble)
    I'm sorry, I'm new to this.
    I don't know how to move this thread or delete it.
    Hello New Person,

Don't worry, someone will (hopefully) move it for you.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi there,

Out of curiosity, could I ask why you posted your question in this forum? Nothing wrong, but we seem to get a lot of non-Wiki related posts here (including this one) and am interested to find out what's the cause.

Please do let me know

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 20, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.