Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know it is n not easy, but I am very determined to work hard
    However are there any tips you can offer me

ReputationRep:
    Independant research, focus on your subjects back to front. Often, if you put stuff in your coursework which was not taught in class you will stand out from your peers, thus having a higher chance of a better grade, in coursework at least.

When revising for exams, cover everything, know your subject inside out. But in all honesty, the more time you revise, the better grade you get. Listen in lessons and you'll do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man I wish I was doing GCSE again....so easy compared to A-Level's.
    But anyway, all of the above plus past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cashper1234)
    I always gaze in wonder at people who manage to achieve straight A*s at GCSE (this is what we're talking about, right?), especially since my own are pretty meagre in comparison! Anyways, if the purpose of getting all these A*s is to give yourself a better chance of Oxbridge in the future, then I'd say it's not altogether necessary to have sooo many A*s at GCSE (I prove testament to that).

If it's a personal goal, just work reallllly hard, and I'm sure you'll meet the grades. Remember the old adage - 'Fail to prepare, prepare to fail'. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You can't. ""

ReputationRep:
    There's no magic formula to get straight A*s...you also need to have a certain amount of intelligence. Some people won't be able to get A*s even if they are the most efficient, hard working person ever.

ReputationRep:
    basically, unless you some kind of child genius. you have to work you butt off! you need to do all your homework on time and then do extra looking over and revising on top of that, and before the exams you need to make sure your in exactly the right frame of mind and that if you go through past papers and text books there is nothing that you are not sure about. but good luck!
    if it is at gcse then i only got 2 A*'s because i didn't put the work in all of my subjects (only maths and science).

ReputationRep:
    Study, Study, and Study..

And oh... Did I mention, Study?
    + Concentrate

ReputationRep:
    Don't be disheartened if you don't get them though. Oxbridge only want 7 or more As and A*s (someone correct me on this, I read this 2 years ago) at GCSE. Your A level results are going to be much more important.

But then again, I only got one A* and I may not being going to oxbridge but I'm still doing well for myself. I wish I was a straight A student though....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Make sure you understand everyone you cover in class, then revise hard doing loads of past papers. Then hope for some luck. I never thought I would get all A*s after doing my GCSEs, but then it turned out I did on results day.

ReputationRep:
    It's not too difficult. I managed to do it, I didn't sutdy too much. Just focus really hard during the last month and your study leave, and you'll be able to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Study hard. Do as many past papers as you can get your hands on and read the mark scheme answer, by the time it comes to the exam you'll have seen all of the questions and answers before anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Lol i did no work in my GCSE's and so well got moderate grades. When you can get 4 A's at A level, i dont see why people will care :/

ReputationRep:
    If you think A Levels are hard, wait until uni. I didn't get any A* at GCSE, but since you need 90%, I'm guessing that the coursework needs to be comprehensive and you need to understand and learn all the couorse material. I would say that going over exam papers, then marking them using a mark-scheme is probably the only way to make sure you're going to get that mark.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the way to getting straigh A*'s is just working hard, I know alot of people who work hard in school. Revise everyday for 3 hours and gradually upping the hours coming close to the exams. But when I ask them do you enjoy your subjects, half of them say "They don't". or They'd rather get out of college ASAP.

I say it's more importantly to know your strengths and pick the course you know your good at and constantly read beyond your subjects and learn to love what your doing. That is how you can get straight A*'s, and is what Oxbridge are looking for in a person.:p:

ReputationRep:
    Get off TSR and get revising
    But seriously, one of the most useful revision tools must be past papers for your subject.
    Make notes on every aspect of the syllabus.
    Just basically know your subject inside out!
    It comes more naturally to some than others.

ReputationRep:
    if As were straight they'd be Hs :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    if As were straight they'd be Hs :holmes:
    So true! Lol♠

ReputationRep:
    cheat?

but then you might already be really clever? or lucky like me lol
    i managed to skip class and not pay attention when i was there and still got A's, go figure :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cashper1234)
    Rather simple ain't it?

BY PUTTING THE GRAFT IN AND STUDYING!!!111

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.