Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PixiePlumber)
    Don't be disheartened if you don't get them though. Oxbridge only want 7 or more As and A*s (someone correct me on this, I read this 2 years ago) at GCSE. Your A level results are going to be much more important.

But then again, I only got one A* and I may not being going to oxbridge but I'm still doing well for myself. I wish I was a straight A student though....
    I heard its something like 5-8 (or more obviously) A*s for Oxbridge. But I agree with the above quote.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what subjects you're doing and how clever you are to a degree i guess.

But coursework can be a help - try get full marks in it, rework it and nag your teachers about it to keep on redoing it. If you still get below what you want in it then redo it (nag again)

If theres a subject you are struggling in get a tutor if you can afford it, it will be really helpful.

Practice practice practice - as many past papers and essay titles as you can.

Notes and notes and notes. And hard work.
    =)

Edit: oh and also - get notes from more than one source. Dont just use one revision guide - use your own notes, your textbooks, the internet. Often different sources can explain something from a different point of view, which can help you have a greater understanding of the topic.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Don't be disheartened if you don't get them though. Oxbridge only want 7 or more As and A*s (someone correct me on this, I read this 2 years ago) at GCSE. Your A level results are going to be much more important.

But then again, I only got one A* and I may not being going to oxbridge but I'm still doing well for myself. I wish I was a straight A student though....
    This ends up being around the average, but it's not a minimum standard. I know plenty of people with fewer A*s than that, including a guy doing Maths who only got 1A* and it wasn't even in Maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cashper1234)
    I know it is n not easy, but I am very determined to work hard
    However are there any tips you can offer me
    Its not really necessary, in two years you'll have forgotten your gcses, so generally 8 A*s is enough for pretty much anything, but hey, be my guest and spend your every waking hour trying to get straight A*s

ReputationRep:
    It's more intelligence than hard work to be honest.

Just do well in your coursework, and a lot of the subjects have a small amount of topics (e.g. Physics, Maths, Chemistry) and so the same sorts of questions come up every year. Get all the past-papers for that subject for the last five or so years, then make sure you either understand the workings or just memorize how to answer them. For languages, learn around twenty A-Level standard phrases and vocabulary that you can get by asking an older student or a teacher or whatever, and put them in your oral, reading, and writing.

But as for subjects like English, History, etc. It's just intelligence and hard-work.

ReputationRep:
    The easier way to get straight A*s is to get A* in every exam you take.

ReputationRep:
    You have no chance of getting straight A*s if you have to ask how to get them.

ReputationRep:
    My standard advice is don't do Drama.

Failing that, go do some work.

ReputationRep:
    Revise a lot... That's it really.

ReputationRep:

Oxbridge probably care more about A*s than As really. And it's not a case of once you pass "7 As and A*s" that you have then "passed the GCSE requirements". I mean, the higher the better obviously. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well, you get 1 A*. And then you get another, and so on and so forth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leto)
    My standard advice is don't do Drama.

Failing that, go do some work.
    Nor let your school force you to do Product Design

ReputationRep:
    I got straight A*s myself and all I can say is just to work very very hard. In essay writing subjects, do several more extra essays than you were set, and give them to your teachers to mark. Same applies to doing extra past papers. Make sure you have memorised everything you need to - that is the essential part. Most of all, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    GCSES are a piece of piss, looking back you could probably get an a* on most gcses with just the lessons and 5 or 6 hours revision. theres really very little in gcses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Nor let your school force you to do Product Design
    Damn them :mad:

(But what on earth is Product Design? I could understand forcing you to do Short Course RE or something...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leto)
    Damn them :mad:

(But what on earth is Product Design? I could understand forcing you to do Short Course RE or something...)
    I barely know myself to be honest, but, as my school's a "technology college" ( ) it decided it'd be a fantastic idea to make all of Years 10 and 11 do this in one year. That's 600 people. No one got an A*. And now the ******* in Year 11 at the moment get to do Triple Science instead, which I could have ************* walked. ****'s sake.

ReputationRep:
    Study! Which is what I should be doing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cashper1234)
    I know it is n not easy, but I am very determined to work hard
    However are there any tips you can offer me
    Ask yourself why you want to get all A*'s?

ReputationRep:
    Stop fantasizing on TSR, get some work done

ReputationRep:
    by doing LOTS of work... or if your naturally intelligent by turning up to the exam on time

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.