Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How Can I get straight A*s watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Work hard play harder.

ReputationRep:
    just memorise your notes and science textbooks, and practice loads of past papers and you'll get the marks you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Well, you get 1 A*. And then you get another, and so on and so forth.
    Expert advice here . And :ditto: the Product Design, it really sucks. I would know - the coursework could kill me.

ReputationRep:
    Organisation is key. Revise, make notes and do more than what is expected of you. Unless, of course, you're naturally very intelligent then you'll achieve easily.

I achieved an A* in one of my GCSE subjects through revising only an hour before the exam, so some subjects will be a lot easier than others. Also, if you're naturally talented at a particular subject I'd work on those weaker subjects to get that knowledge up to the same standard.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let English Literature screw you over

ReputationRep:
    Study hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    Expert advice here . And :ditto: the Product Design, it really sucks. I would know - the coursework could kill me.
    And then the exam ***** you over even more. Do they still do the thing where you have to design something based on an iconic product? Well for those doing the Electronics part, that was the Bush TR 82 radio; we spent ages practising and practising doing this, and then we get into the exam - the Graphics question is "Design a logo based on the Shell logo", the Textiles is "Design an item of clothing in the style of Mary Quant" etc. The Electronics one? "Design a fridge alarm". No mention of the ************* radio at all. I could've ******* killed that examiner.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmn, let me think....

WORK
    REVISE

ReputationRep:
    u cud star by getting off this site and reviseing

ReputationRep:
    **** less

ReputationRep:
    Read the specification on the exam board's website, and also look at any examiners' reports. I only did one GCSE last year but it worked for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cashper1234)
    I know it is n not easy, but I am very determined to work hard
    However are there any tips you can offer me
    Just get lucky tbh.

Seriously though, some subjects (such as IT) seem to demand quantity over quality. You've got to remember that some subjects need more time than others, in different areas. Maths was piss easy for me, so although a core subject, I spent little time revising it. French was easy but I had to devote more time due to the 25% coursework, and the speaking test. I hated English, and you probably hate a fair few subjects too, but you've got to remember that getting straight As is better than 5 A*s and 5 Bs.

It's not so much to do with how good you are, it's sort of being confident enough in the subjects you are good enough in to just say, 'right, I'm happy with maths/English/DT/French, so I'm not going to benefit from spending loads of time revising it/doing the homework or coursework in too much detail... instead I'll do extra work on physics/chemistry/business to ensure I'm consistent in all subjects.

So yeah, time management, and a certain level of maturity that just because you want to do a certain A level/career, you have to spend more time on subjects that you dislike and are not as strong in. You have to maintain high standards in all subjects.

ReputationRep:
    **** the head of the exam board. Bend him over his own desk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cashper1234)
    I know it is n not easy, but I am very determined to work hard
    However are there any tips you can offer me

Good for you..!!! Well my only advice would be to constantly push yourself, do more and more work/revision everyday.. That way you get better and become awesome..!!! (i wouldnt know from experiance! Lol)..

Good Luck! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Work hard, but not getting straight A*s isn't the end of the world. I really wanted straight A*s myself when I was in year 11 and I definitely worked hard, but it didn't happen and now I realise I shouldn't have been so fixated on it. I was predicted 11A*s, and an A (in an O level I took- so that's the top grade), but I actually got 9A*s, A in the O level, another A and a B. I was really disappointed in myself for getting a B, (I went to the type of school where teachers and students would frown upon Bs- but even they told it wouldn't matter) especially as my best friends got straight A*s, but it hasn't stopped me doing what I want to do at uni.

Work for it by all means, but don't be disappointed in yourself if it doesn't happen. Don't think about it too much (in my case if I hadn't spent so much time worrying about the subject I got a B in, I might not have got a B in it).

ReputationRep:
    And then the exam ***** you over even more. Do they still do the thing where you have to design something based on an iconic product? Well for those doing the Electronics part, that was the Bush TR 82 radio; we spent ages practising and practising doing this, and then we get into the exam - the Graphics question is "Design a logo based on the Shell logo", the Textiles is "Design an item of clothing in the style of Mary Quant" etc. The Electronics one? "Design a fridge alarm". No mention of the ************* radio at all. I could've ******* killed that examiner.
    Hmm, think your exam board is a lot gayer than mine. And I didn't think that was possible. Granted to get an A* in it is easy it's unbelievably tedious and long. On ours you need to do 3 huge courseworks. Each courseworks is either 0,1 or 2 on the mark sheet (60 criteria) and nicely they take the combined mark (not from next year though thank god) but it's something ridiculous like 2 marks a page when a page can take 1/2 hours! I'm on an A in both coursework and the exam so far without any of my third coursework so I think I'm gonna stop giving a **** about it now. The exam was pretty easy considering I neither revised nor knew the mark scheme. I'm gonna guess you have OCR?
    Oh, and tech is compulsory here. ******* technology college :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    Hmm, think your exam board is a lot gayer than mine. And I didn't think that was possible. Granted to get an A* in it is easy it's unbelievably tedious and long. On ours you need to do 3 huge courseworks. Each courseworks is either 0,1 or 2 on the mark sheet (60 criteria) and nicely they take the combined mark (not from next year though thank god) but it's something ridiculous like 2 marks a page when a page can take 1/2 hours! I'm on an A in both coursework and the exam so far without any of my third coursework so I think I'm gonna stop giving a **** about it now. The exam was pretty easy considering I neither revised nor knew the mark scheme. I'm gonna guess you have OCR?
    Oh, and tech is compulsory here. ******* technology college :eek3:
    Yeah, OCR.
    We're a technology college as well; they made it compulsory for us to do two ******* GCSEs in it :wtf:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, OCR.
    We're a technology college as well; they made it compulsory for us to do two ******* GCSEs in it :wtf:
    We have to do one but I'm just like yeah... screw coursework and he's been moaning at me all year and I think I've done maybe 2 pages and I'm just not doing much more. Just screw around each lesson. It's my doss lesson if you will!
    I'm guessing that annoyed you so much, I mean 11A*s and 1A it must just haunt you :p:. I'm pissed off that I got A*A*A so far so I can only just proportionalise :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leto)
    My standard advice is don't do Drama.

Failing that, go do some work.
    But... Drama's the piss easiest subject life?

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PencilsandPens)
    But... Drama's the piss easiest subject life?

:p:
    See spoiler.

It was facetious advice.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.