Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just chosen my A-levels but I'm slighly worried that I'm limiting myself in terms of uni. I've chosen History, Politics, French, Maths and Further Maths, though it's not set in stone so I'm still considering English. I love history and have always intended on taking it to uni, but if I were to be turned round at A-level and decide not to take it I wouldn't be sure what to do, as I wouldn't take maths or french. I was just wondering if anyone knew of some other possible degrees that don't envolve straight out politics/history. Is there anything more general but still academic?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiewhat1)
    I've just chosen my A-levels but I'm slighly worried that I'm limiting myself in terms of uni. I've chosen History, Politics, French, Maths and Further Maths, though it's not set in stone so I'm still considering English. I love history and have always intended on taking it to uni, but if I were to be turned round at A-level and decide not to take it I wouldn't be sure what to do, as I wouldn't take maths or french. I was just wondering if anyone knew of some other possible degrees that don't envolve straight out politics/history. Is there anything more general but still academic?
    Thanks.
    law, philosophy, PPE

you can do things like European studies

that'd be a strong fist of A level IMO you could do alot with those

ReputationRep:
    You could easily go straight into Law with a combination of those A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Anything really, probably avoid sciences though.

ReputationRep:
    Any arts or social science degree basically. Law has been mentioned. You could take any of the subjects you're doing at A-level. A joint honours course involving any of them. Maybe PPE.

ReputationRep:
    Law
    Languages
    Linguistics
    Philosophy
    Economics
    Edit: someone said PPE; I think your A-Levels are actually a good combination for that.

or:
    Town Planning
    Accounting

etc.

ReputationRep:
    Defo PPE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Anything really, probably avoid sciences though.
    Why , the OP has Maths and Further Maths , which is really helpful when aiming at a BSc degree :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etnies)
    Why , the OP has Maths and Further Maths , which is really helpful when aiming at a BSc degree :yes:
    I thought for things like Chemistry you would've had to do the subject or one more science? I don't really know, but if you're right then the OP can do anything I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    If you want to take a science at University then you really need a science A-level, typically in the subject you're applying for :p:

Maths is mostly offered as a BSc degree, perhaps that is what they meant :dontknow:
    Anything Maths based from Computer Science , through Maths , even Physics is possible :yes:

ReputationRep:
    If you want to take a science at University then you really need a science A-level, typically in the subject you're applying for :p:

Maths is mostly offered as a BSc degree, perhaps that is what they meant :dontknow:
    But there are science degrees without traditional A level counterparts that you could get into some unis for with maths and further maths. For example computer science and geology.

ReputationRep:

Well that is what I meant.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    OP can I just ask why are you doing Maths and FM if you have already ruled Maths out for degree level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    OP can I just ask why are you doing Maths and FM if you have already ruled Maths out for degree level?
    I probably should have said, the further maths is an AS over 2 years which is offered for those who want an extra qualification. I think I'm pretty strong in maths which is why I think I'll take the further, but to do it at uni just isn't me . I really wanted to take the maths just to keep my options open, in case I wanted to do Economics or something, but my knowledge is fairly limited when it comes to degree choices, so that's why I started the thread.

Anyways, I think the science is out due to my a-level choices, but thank you everyone for the really useful ideas for courses. I wasn't sure whether I'd ruled out e.g. PPE from my a-level choices, but now I think I'll stick with them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.