Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone had any luck with counselling? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've seen three different counsellors over the past few years, the first two were for depression and the third was for anxiety. The first one was on the NHS and the other two were uni counsellors. The NHS one was pretty useful though I don't think I saw her often enough for it to have achieved much at the time, the second one was absolutely useless, I went twice and never bothered again, the third started off slow but she did I lot to change my thinking about things and I'd say it was well worth seeing her.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it really is about how you click with someone. You need to feel a warm human connection and then it has a much greater chance of working. It doesn't even matter the approach that is taken to a large extent, it's all about that connection/feeling comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    The first councellor I had was absolute crap, she was a complete arse to me and made me feel worse about myself - making out that me lying to people about how I was feeling made me a bad person when really I just did that so that I wasn't a burden to anyone. She also had me popping the pills straight away, which I didn't like. The one I see at the moment is a really nice lady and I am making a little progress but I don't think what's going on in my head is anything anybody else can sort out, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Since September 2008 I have seen about 8 different people, and I haven't made any progress with any of them, they always refer me to someone else and exactly the same happens again.

Before that, when I was under 18, I saw some other people. But all they ever wanted to do was put me on antidepressants, and then just see me when I needed more drugs.

I'm getting so fed up with it and thinking of just giving it up and quiting.

I just want to know if anyone else has had any luck?

Thanks.
    I beat depression a couple of years ago with anti-depressants and counselling. Keep at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    I've seen both good and bad counsellors. When you find someone you click with, it makes all the difference.
    this !

also it helps if you have achievable aims for the length of course ...

anti depressants are not a cure - they are part of a strategy which has many factors , a lot of the stuff related to depression involves you taking control and ownership of your problems ...

before the knockers start yes i am a health professional ,but i also have mental health problems , and after getting a grip on my symptoms and a break from work with some self directed action and some counselling i'm back at work and functioning at 99.9 % ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    This thread is really not making me optimistic about my future.

I'm supposed to be getting counselling at some point, but I'm not exactly feeling positive about the whole idea.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the most important thing is being able to find someone who you connect with and feel you can open up to.

ReputationRep:
    I pay for private counselling, works well for me, very well in fact

ReputationRep:
    Sadly no. :no:

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are saying friends have helped them so much more than counsellers.

The thing is I don't have any, I really don't.

And about finding the right one, i've seen about 8 people from the NHS since September 08. I've seen another one privatley, and I thought I was 'clicking' with her, but then it came down to money...

Meh, got an appointment next week, will see how that goes I suppose

:sad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.