Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you meant to take the money and just completely forgot to then I would appeal because otherwise those managers will go through the rest of their life thinking that they were absolutely in the right to cease your employment and you will go through the rest of your life with a minor irritation at the back of your head saying 'it would have been nice to put across about what really was the case rather than allowing those managers to think that they had the absolute moral high ground'.

Your appeal would have to be highly apologetic about your forgetfulness, stressing that you didn't even realise it had happened as you are never forgetful, with no attempts at clever excuses, and must not criticise the business or any of its staff in any way. You could say that you love the job and why and that you are so sorry to have let down the managers on this occasion. You could add along the lines of ... because you respect your managers and one day want to become one (but if things don't go your way you might regret allowing them that sense of satisfaction). You might also throw in that you are able to work any overtime that they require.

Tell the truth in a relatively flattering way to the business in a way that promotes your own reliability and passion. The word 'unfair' must not leave your lips when appealing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    Theft is a fault based crime; one has to have the "intention to permanently deprive". It would be interesting to see them argue that theft is a strict liability offence, but only insofar as their legal counsel would be laughed out of court.
    I was mainly referring to mens rea in as a broad concept, of which the OP seems to have used.

Who is to say the company view it as theft? They could quite clearly consider it an omission or an act of recklessness/negligence.

The plain fact is: company regulations and procedure =/= law, in most cases.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Star Scream)
    I was mainly referring to mens rea in as a broad concept, of which the OP seems to have used.

Who is to say the company view it as theft? They could quite clearly consider it an omission or an act of recklessness/negligence.

The plain fact is: company regulations/procedure =/= law.
    But this appeal won't centre upon the OP's recklessness/theft/misconduct. The manager can, legally, sack him for whatever reason he/she likes (subject to discrimination laws). Only after having worked at a company for 12 months does one gain more stringent legal protection and thus arguing unfair dismissal would be entirely futile.

In legal terms this case will centre upon the extent to which the OP should have been behind the bar serving alcohol anyway. One has a civil obligation to provide their employees with "adequate material" and "effective supervision". Also, as I mentioned above, the manager's action may even contravene the OP's contract of employment.

The simply fact is thus: law will always trump irrespective of the company's regulations. Although the OP may be clutching at straws, he certainly has every right to appeal and possibly some legal basis from which to do so as well.

(Original post by econ1)
    Not really stealing, I made a mistake I never taken any money from the customers and my till was correct at the end of the night.
    - Its what CCTV looks and what they can make it sound like, - not taking money for it can mean that you were doing something which you stress you dont but regretfully its Your word against theirs and - they have some CCTV which they can use to their advantage.

Appeal for what you do believe in. And make sure they know how you feel, - you could mention it to a passing bloke from the local paper and that may help or hinder your case, good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Why was the till correct at the end of the night though? Over charging some people?
    he forgot to ring it through the till as well as to get the money, so they till wouldnt know the drinks were gone, so wouldnt say thatmoney needed to be in the till.

ReputationRep:
    Why was the till correct at the end of the night though? Over charging some people?
    No. I never rang them through the till therefore the till wouldn't have been down.

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not the till was down doesn't matter. All the stock could be given away and the till still wouldn't be down.

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not the till was down doesn't matter. All the stock could be given away and the till still wouldn't be down.
    Yes, I do know this...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The bar was down on stock. Eg. The manager did a stock count and found that two cans of red bull were missing and not accounted for. The till was fine - the transaction was never put through it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just walk away with dignity

If you have had no training then I reckon you have some kind of chance. You can't be expected to do everything right on your own first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    The bar was down on stock. Eg. The manager did a stock count and found that two cans of red bull were missing and not accounted for. The till was fine - the transaction was never put through it.

Isn't that what I said essentially? It doesn't matter what the till said (i.e. it's what was going on with the stock).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleApricot)
    I'd just walk away with dignity
    I think this is what I'm going to do.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Isn't that what I said essentially? It doesn't matter what the till said (i.e. it's what was going on with the stock).
    Indeed. But the OP never said anything about the till in his original post - he was asked if he'd rung everything through it (largely because, he clearly hadn't). I was just pointing out that he already knew this point.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.