Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for deferred entry but all these threads are 2010 this 2010 that so here's a thread for those who are taking a gap and starting in 2011.
    Where have you applied? What are you studying? etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    I'm applying for deferred entry but all these threads are 2010 this 2010 that so here's a thread for those who are taking a gap and starting in 2011.
    Where have you applied? What are you studying? etc.
    Just a side note, I tend to notice that the University forums are dominated by the closest year of entry for students (in this case 2010 is the closest). Just wait till Septemeber/August and you'll see 2011 threads pop up!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for deferred entry
    I've applied for 2011 Linguistics too! :cool:
    but the only University that we have in common is SOAS and I've applied to do Linguistics with Japanese - but it still hasn't even been acknowledged! :eek: :rolleyes:

apart from that I've applied to Newcastle and Sheffield; and York and UCL for just straight Linguistics :love:

what are you doing in your Gap Year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicealice)
    I've applied for 2011 Linguistics too! :cool:
    but the only University that we have in common is SOAS and I've applied to do Linguistics with Japanese - but it still hasn't even been acknowledged! :eek: :rolleyes:

apart from that I've applied to Newcastle and Sheffield; and York and UCL for just straight Linguistics :love:

what are you doing in your Gap Year?
    Ooh have you done any Japanese before? I've studied Italian and Madarin Chinese and i'm still doing Latin and French, so I was thinking of taking up a new language but I ended up pussying out... I was originally applying to SOAS for Ling. and Turkish.

Yeah Linguistics should be awesome
    I'm thinking during gap i'm going to spend some time in a french speaking country, maybe do some english lang teaching in a primary school or something... have you got any plans?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh have you done any Japanese before?
    hmm not really! :o: I did take a twenty week course in basic Japanese (the first ten weeks on spoken, the second ten weeks on written) but thankfully you don't need any background knowledge to take it up at uni :yeah:

omg you've done so many languages! Have you studied them all at school? My school only offers French and German and I can't stand German so I've really only done one! :o:

Wow, Turkish sounds fascinating! I bet you'll regret not taking it! :p: Although I'm sure you'll be able to take it up at a club or something if you're still interested

I'm thinking during gap i'm going to spend some time in a french speaking country, maybe do some english lang teaching in a primary school or something... have you got any plans?
    Sounds good... I'm going to India for 12 months to work in orphanages and teach English in primary schools :yep:
    That's only if I manage to raise £4000 by May though... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicealice)
    hmm not really! :o: I did take a twenty week course in basic Japanese (the first ten weeks on spoken, the second ten weeks on written) but thankfully you don't need any background knowledge to take it up at uni :yeah:

omg you've done so many languages! Have you studied them all at school? My school only offers French and German and I can't stand German so I've really only done one! :o:

Wow, Turkish sounds fascinating! I bet you'll regret not taking it! :p: Although I'm sure you'll be able to take it up at a club or something if you're still interested

Sounds good... I'm going to India for 12 months to work in orphanages and teach English in primary schools :yep:
    That's only if I manage to raise £4000 by May though... :eek:
    Yeah my school is a 'language college'. When I was in year 8 we started offering more and more languages. I think overall we do Latin, French, Italian, Chinese, German, Spanish and there is an Ancient Greek club. I can understand basic Spanish and German even though i've never learnt them because my Latin is so good.

Oh yeah Turkish looked good cuz its basically an asian language with the latin alphabet. But I got too nervous... I wasn't sure if I could do it for 4 years and i might get a weird language overload :P I was going to apply to do Gaelic or Portuguese as well but just was too scared...

Ah wow you really have it sorted do you speak fluent Punjabi?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.