Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im female and considering a job as bar staff in a busy bar/club. ive never worked in a bar before, has anyone got any experiences to share?

ReputationRep:
    I've worked in a pub for three years and find it can have it's advantages and downsides.

If you enjoy working in a place where you can get to talk to customers and find out about them then they're good places to work. People will offer you tips if they feel they've received good service (or if they just like your face :p: ) but not every bar/club allows staff to keep their tips and instead they go in one jar to be distributed evenly between every member of staff. It's a very social job which can suit some people down to the ground but if you're quiet then it can be a good environment to develop some confidence.

There is often a high staff turnover so it's easy, in theory, to get a job in a bar or club but previous experience is usually a benefit because it means you won't need to be trained up. That said, pouring pints and things isn't difficult and you'll pick it up quickly. If you're unsure if someone is underage, always ID them, regardless of whether they kick up a fuss about it. If you don't and someone is underage it can result in an instant £80 fine for you for serving them.

The downsides...
    Pay is often rubbish simply because it's a job that requires very little training and people can therefore be replaced easily.
    The hours can be long and tedious if there's no customers in. I think you have to work six hours in order to earn a break.
    The hours are also unsocial and sometimes you'll finish shifts at one-two am and you'll have to make sure everything is cleaned up/fridges have been restocked/etc.
    Some customers don't know when they've had enough and can get aggressive/flirty.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of applying to my uni's union bar as a part time job this september aswell. Are the hours usually negotiable or is there like minimum period of 3 straight hours you have to work or something, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I work in a quiet-ish bar and the pros and cons are

Pros - Can get some good chat with the customers
    Learn some new drinks and how to make some decent cocktails
    Can make tips aswell depending on where you work
    If you have good staff working beside you that you are mates with then it seems like you are not even working at all on your shift.

Cons - Hours can be a bit poor
    Again depending on where you work there may be some spewage to clean up :p:
    Pay can be pretty poor aswell depending on where you work.
    It can be pretty stressful when it's busy and there are people quein up anxious for a drink.
    Get the odd drunken bampot.

I really enjoy it though and would say it is more exciting and interactive than on the till at tescos.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys, how many nights a week did you work part time?

ReputationRep:
    About 2 or 3 shifts a week. One on a friday or saturday and two during the week.

Weekdays go in at 6 get closed up by 11 30 / 12

Weekend in at 6 out for about 1 30 / 2

ReputationRep:
    cheers yekim

ReputationRep:
    what sort of questions were asked in your interview?

ReputationRep:
    i've worked in two clubs so far part time, now working at one as coatcheck. My first interview was basically "tell me about yourself" and asking about shifts I'll be able to work. They also had this form that you had to fill in and it's more about you suiting the hours available than actual skills (like mentioned above it's not exactly rocket science). Most of the time they're just asking if you've got any experience and the times you're available to work and see if it matches up. They also size you up then and if you come off wrong then chances are you won't get it. Working in a club is definitely a team effort and it's not a steady stream but constant changes between lulls and rush hour so you better be able to handle stress and work quickly with your hands.

Right now I'm not doing bar work, just coat check/door/floor (collecting glasses, etc.) and if you work till closing time, you're cleaning the place out too. You might also do flyering but that depends on where you work (****** work btw avoid at all costs).

If you really want to be barman and have no experience LIE LIE LIE on your CV. But keep it realistic. Say that you've worked as a bartender but you only serve bottled beers, easy mixers (think redbull vodka, jd + coke) and pulled pints (learn how to do this by watching the bartender next time you go out). No cocktails or anything fancy. Maybe even give a reference, 9/10 they won't check. Although you have to pull it off or you won't last a weekend in your job as the shiny new barman. Do this only if you can familiarise yourself VERY quickly to the bar and the till (although go easy on the till, it's harder to correct a mistake so just go slow).

ReputationRep:
    It's always the "tell me about yourself" stuff is what they ask. Nothing new just same what they asked me when I applied in an office type of work too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.