Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No matter what I do I always get a bad grade when writing english essays in coursework and exams etc
    I do everything they say you should
    Point
    Evidence
    Explanation
    Yet somehow I never seem to please the examiner.
    I can't get my writing to flow and I realy don't understand how people manage to get A*
    I am good at all my other subjects
    Please give me some advice

ReputationRep:
    Do you do many practice essays during English lessons. For my English Language, the first practice exam we did in English, I got a C. I got an A* for my actual English exam because the class was given so many practice exams to work on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnyShine)
    Do you do many practice essays during English lessons. For my English Language, the first practice exam we did in English, I got a C. I got an A* for my actual English exam because the class was given so many practice exams to work on.
    Yes we often do practice essays in class. Just did a mock exam as well and got a low C
    Its so frustrating

ReputationRep:
    do you right in correct english, use different length sentances and use a range of punctuation (in the right way).

a;so when you do practice papers do you lok at what you lost marks on and correct it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    do you right in correct english, use different length sentances and use a range of punctuation (in the right way).

a;so when you do practice papers do you lok at what you lost marks on and correct it?
    Yes I think I am fine with all that. It is just the thinking of ideas to write down and explaining them properly. I cant do it

ReputationRep:
    i got a B and just write alot, just keep on going on & on about one thing really try to get your point across.

ReputationRep:
    You just need to revise and make sure you know the stuff you need to know well. That'll make it easier to know what to write down, and then you can explain them more easily.

ReputationRep:
    Read more books. This was a piece of advice given to me, but I already read lots anyway. If you're not much of a book-person, then read newspaper articles, magazine articles, web blogs (that are grammatically correct): and it should help with the flow of things. I noticed that the advice was true, just by looking at the people around me: those that read alot of books were infinitely better at writing their ideas down than those who didn't read.
    You don't have to read stuff like Shakespeare either - easy books include Harry Potter, Jacqueline Wilson, Meg Cabot - just watch your spelling if you read books by American authors.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    As long as your essay answers the question and adresses the topics at hand then it can be as short or as long as you want it to be. With PEE state a point "This author uses made up language." then back it up with evidence "In stanza no.2 line 45 for example there is the lexical choice of "Nimbus 2000" (Harry potter for example in my AS english essay)", then explain, your evidence.

It may also be a good idea o learn these terms that will wow the examiner, at AS Level you need to know these but it's not compulsory at GCSE, so if you know these then you'll stand a much better chnace of getting a higher grade.

First one is "lexis or lexical" which basically means language or language choice. For example: The authors lexical choice of "Sunny, bright sky, flowery fields" emphasises the beauty of the world" or somethign relevant to the text you are writing about.

Another is "mundain" basically a posh word for boring.

Others are "Asindetic lists", "Sindetic lists" (not sure if theyre spelt right), "Adjacency pairs" etc.

With your paragraphing and structure, start a new paragraph with an indent on the first line and don't skip any lines. Start a new paragraph when within your writing you change "time frame", or change the subject.

You take these into account they may be of help. I had my AS English coursework submitted today and got 40/68 (C/B) for first draft so the evidence of all these at GCSE will boost your grade way beyond a C.

Hope this will help you =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hapiness-)
    Yes I think I am fine with all that. It is just the thinking of ideas to write down and explaining them properly. I cant do it
    get a few different revision guides, they tend to help you with coming up with idea. get a few because they all explain the same thing differently
    you dont have to be original you just have to make it relevant to the question.
    try also reading some news papers, journals, short stories.

where are you loosing marks? we might be able to help you more if we know that.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to always try so hard and focus only on doing PEE/PEA (or whatever.) Get a rough plan beforehand so you have a general idea of what you're going to write and then try to write the essay naturally adding bits in afterwards if needs be.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound slightly patronising (sorry if it does), but does what you say always relate to the question? It's an easy area to slip-up in, and you especially have to focus on the smaller part of a given question, such as "how" and "comment on the effectiveness of".
    With regards to making writing flow, a tip an old English teacher gave me is to check whether the last sentence of a paragraph and the first of the following one can be connected (in any way).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your advice
    I think I don't do very well because I have all these ideas in my head to answer the question
    But can't put them down on the paper and explain them in words
    If that makes sense lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.