Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi im hoping to move to sheffield in a few months before uni starts and was wondering what kind of areas are they best.
    Im not looking at University accomodation, just private sector, i rent my own house now (£500 pcm) so would seem silly to go backwards and i really dont fancy it tbh as i live with my bf and my daughter soooooooo
    any advice would be greatly appreciated as my residential knowledge of sheffield doesnt comprise of very much x

ReputationRep:
    West/southwest are the more affluent areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryold)
    West/southwest are the more affluent areas.
    thanks, any ideas on the prices though?

ReputationRep:
    What type of area are you wanting to live in? Student-y, family friendly, close to the city centre etc...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meeee :))
    What type of area are you wanting to live in? Student-y, family friendly, close to the city centre etc...?
    family friendly, decent school nearby if you know of any?

ReputationRep:
    Meersbrook is very friendly, a few good schools, a nice park, Millhouses is a bit more expensive but also has good schools and a park, Carterknowle has a good junior and infants school nearby, Woodseats is quite nice with decent schools too. Hunters Bar has a good mix of students and families, good schools, a nice park and close to Ecclesall Road which has loads of pubs, bars, restaurants, shops and cafes. All are between 10 and 20 minute bus ride from the city centre and have lots of local pubs/restaurants etc. Places to avoid are Sharrow and Nether Edge... lots of problems with gangs around there now which is a shame because there are some lovely houses There are loads of other areas that are nice too but these are the ones i've had experience living in. A good place to get advice on places to live in Sheffield/general Sheffield information is www.sheffieldforum.co.uk. Let me know if theres anything else you want to know, i've lived here most of my life so can try to help!

ReputationRep:
    Meersbrook is very friendly, a few good schools, a nice park, Millhouses is a bit more expensive but also has good schools and a park, Carterknowle has a good junior and infants school nearby, Woodseats is quite nice with decent schools too. Hunters Bar has a good mix of students and families, good schools, a nice park and close to Ecclesall Road which has loads of pubs, bars, restaurants, shops and cafes. All are between 10 and 20 minute bus ride from the city centre and have lots of local pubs/restaurants etc. Places to avoid are Sharrow and Nether Edge... lots of problems with gangs around there now which is a shame because there are some lovely houses There are loads of other areas that are nice too but these are the ones i've had experience living in. A good place to get advice on places to live in Sheffield/general Sheffield information is www.sheffieldforum.co.uk. Let me know if theres anything else you want to know, i've lived here most of my life so can try to help!

thanks will try the site, got some info off another site but that just told me which postcodes which just got me even more lost as i didnt know where they were
    i was just about to say busses wouldnt matter much as i drive but then i remembered my last visit to sheffield and the amount of time it took to get parked someone so if its like that everywhere my car may become very much redundent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessw89)
    thanks will try the site, got some info off another site but that just told me which postcodes which just got me even more lost as i didnt know where they were
    i was just about to say busses wouldnt matter much as i drive but then i remembered my last visit to sheffield and the amount of time it took to get parked someone so if its like that everywhere my car may become very much redundent?
    lol i'm good with postcodes so if theres any you want me to tell you about just let me know. I have a car which i find is really useful, although i do tend to get the bus when going into the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    lol i'm good with postcodes so if theres any you want me to tell you about just let me know. I have a car which i find is really useful, although i do tend to get the bus when going into the city centre.

well this is what i found somewhere else but i dont know what places each postcode includes :/ or if its accurate lol

S1- can be ok if you're after city living
    S2- Dump
    S3-dump
    S4-AVOID at allcosts
    S5-AVOID
    S6- nice in parts, stannington, loxley, hillsborough are all ok. Down to earth yorkshire people.
    S7- Most of it is nice-
    S8- OK- average Except- Batemoor, Jordanthorpe, Lowedges, they're crime ridden
    S9- AVOID
    S10- Very very nice area- if you're renting not too expensive either, buying is another matter!
    S11- Very very nice too
    S12- Dump bar frecheville maybe
    S13- Handsworth is ok, the rest is rubbish
    S14- Souless
    S17- Very very nice- I'd love to live there. Dore is gorgeous.
    S18 Average- Dronfield is ok in parts
    S20- Souless
    S35- Not great
    S32/S33 Very nice

ReputationRep:
    S33 - It's nice but there is no public transport during the week. However on a Sunday there is plenty of busses going to derwent dam.

ReputationRep:
    well this is what i found somewhere else but i dont know what places each postcode includes :/ or if its accurate lol

S2- Dump Some parts are alright, but there has been gang problems etc
    S3-dump
    S4-AVOID at allcosts
    S5-AVOID
    S6- nice in parts, stannington, loxley, hillsborough are all ok. Down to earth yorkshire people. Most of it is pretty nice from what i know
    S7- Most of it is nice- It's gone down hill in the last few years and theres now quite a lot of gang problems... S2 and S7 gangs have been known to fight. I've lived in about 4 different houses in S7 and most of the time i lived there i liked it. The further out of town you get within S7, the nicer. There are parks and a few good schools, although the local secondary school is about to close... :rolleyes: I lived in a lovely part of it and REALLY didn't want to leave when we moved.
    S8- OK- average Except- Batemoor, Jordanthorpe, Lowedges, they're crime ridden Woodseats and Meersbrook are nice, lots of parks and a quite a few good primary schools. People are friendly and it isn't too expensive. I've lived in S8 and liked it.
    S9- AVOID
    S10- Very very nice area- if you're renting not too expensive either, buying is another matter! Agree with this
    S11- Very very nice too Again, I agree. I've lived in S11 too and really liked it
    S14- Souless
    S17- Very very nice- I'd love to live there. Dore is gorgeous. Dore is gorgeous, but full of a lot of stuck up snobs! I used to keep a horse in Dore and the majority of people that lived there weren't very friendly. It looks like a really nice place but the amount of rude people i encountered really put me off it. I think there are some nice parts though and obviously not everyone is mean lol. It's right on the edge of the city which is nice. There are other parts of S17 that are better... Totley/Bradway.
    S18 Average- Dronfield is ok in parts Some bits are really nice, some bits just look like a dump!
    S20- Souless
    S35- Not great
    S32/S33 Very nice
    They're the ones I know/have experience of. Hope it helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, avoid the Netherthorpe/Infirmary Road area. It's dodgy, and I had two guys try to pick me up as a prostitute outside my Halls there.Avoid Broomhall/The Moor area if you can. It's noisy as hell and crime rates highest here. I wouldn't live in the Heeley area either to be honest!

Crookes/Crookesmoor/Broomhill are generally very safe student areas and rent is low. I'm moving to Crookes next year, and it's very pleasant.

ReputationRep:

S2- Dump
    S3-dump
    S4-AVOID at allcosts
    S5-AVOID
    S6- nice in parts, stannington, loxley, hillsborough are all ok. Down to earth yorkshire people.
    S7- Most of it is nice-
    S8- OK- average Except- Batemoor, Jordanthorpe, Lowedges, they're crime ridden
    S9- AVOID
    S10- Very very nice area- if you're renting not too expensive either, buying is another matter!
    S11- Very very nice too
    S14- Souless
    S17- Very very nice- I'd love to live there. Dore is gorgeous.
    S18 Average- Dronfield is ok in parts
    S20- Souless
    S35- Not great
    S32/S33 Very nice

At the moment I live in S2-Edmund Road, it's not to bad we sometimes get a GTA style gang meeting outside the house, can be noisey with traffic and drunk people

ReputationRep:
    Eccie Road

ReputationRep:
    For families Fulwood is the place to be. Great schools, near the nice outskirts of the peaks. Very countryish, nice village style pubs etc. Its probably the nicest family area within a half hour walking distance of Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hackenthorpe/Beighton! Really nice and some nice/cheap housing - good for families too. also good schools in hackenthorpe they get really good grades and ratings despite others marking the area as a "dump" on here.

ReputationRep:
    I live in s7 and it's an amazing area!! No problems with gangs or anything. But if you
    Go down to the Bottom , you may have a few problems

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.