Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm with elephant. does anyone know how much it costs to declare refurbed wheels on the policy. they are the same original stock ones but i want them a diffferent colour.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need to declare them? They are not modifications from standard equipment

ReputationRep:
    If you are changing the colour I would have thought they would need telling, I'd guess it would be a £25 admin fee plus a few quid for modifying the car.

ReputationRep:
    Need to inform the insurance that the WHEELS have changed colour?? As far as im aware when you apply for the insurance there is nowhere that asks for the colour of the wheels.. i hardly think they would know what colour they would be in the first place.. Come to think of it... my insurance dont even know what colour my car is..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir)
    Need to inform the insurance that the WHEELS have changed colour?? As far as im aware when you apply for the insurance there is nowhere that asks for the colour of the wheels.. i hardly think they would know what colour they would be in the first place.. Come to think of it... my insurance dont even know what colour my car is..
    If the car is modified in any way from standard, which changing colour is, you need to tell them.

I had an interesting conversation with my insurers about my roofrack, apparently its fine if I don't have it on the car all the time. Most of the time is ok, but never taking it off would raise the cost. The towbar also took them ten minutes to find out if it was an issue or not.

Where it gets interesting is when you start debating the paint code of the bumpers, and wether using a chromed bumper for a couple of weeks while waiting for a proper one to arrive is a modification.

Rolling restorations they seem to let more or less anything go with, but cosmetically based decisions seem to suggest 'boy racer' to them and up your premium.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am aware of that... but as you can now buy a car from the factory in different colours and with different coloured wheels how are the insurers to know that what you have had them painted isnt the standard colour..

ReputationRep:
    One would assume they check the VIN with the manufactures database should you prang it and they want an excuse not to pay out.

The whole car colour will be on the V5, and if you change it that should be changed along with it, as for the wheels if they were an option I believe they have to be declared also as being different from standard.

Where you have a selection of wheels as standard to choose from I'm not entirely sure how the system works, though I would wager that in this case its not relevant.

ReputationRep:
    I would have called them to get a direct answer but time isn't suitable at the moment. Thanks for replies

ReputationRep:
    It's a modification from when it was built, you have to declare it.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.