Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This might upset people to hear this but I don't see the point in giving money to Hati because truthfully the country was a dump before the earthquake and I think no matter how much money you donate the people's quality of life is still going to be very poor. The country is flooded with crime, rape and murder and in light of the earthquake probably an increase in looting.

It doesn't matter how much money you give, Haiti has recieved aid in the past because after decades of bad government allowing crime to go on, rape itself was only made a criminal offence in 2005 the crime becomes part of a country's culture and many people's way of life.

What good is the aid we give them? We'll fix them up a little because the pictures of their suffering will make us feel bad and then we will leave only for the same problems to continue. Who wants to live like that? What kind of life are we leaving them in? If I lived on Haiti I would probably rather die than be barely kept alive only to live a life in a poorly built slum, poor education and live in a country filled with crime and poverty. Where's the happiness and purpose in my life? What have I got to look forward too?

Do you think the money you donate today is going to help this little girl in Haiti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnklOtfJRSE ? Likely is it isn't, she's still going to be a slave.

So tell me? How can you feel a sense of pride in donating a few pounds knowing your only helping continue the existence of these poor people? No matter what you do your efforts are fruitless, some things even money can't fix.

ReputationRep:
    True. This is just a temporary fix for these poor people.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh **** 'em; there are big problems so we might as well just give up and leave them to die. Brill.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I disagree. Aid relief is absolutely vital.

We should support Haiti heavily in this time of disaster, and we should also work for long-term recovery and solutions. I understand that this is a country of terrifying prospects, but I hardly think we can say that aid is worthless, or imply things along the line of 'at least the earthquake has put them out of their misery'.

I agree that it is a country of painfully deep flaws and incomprehensible tragedy. But if we don't even give aid, the situation will be even worse. We will have compounded the insecurities of Haiti with mass starvation, disease, dehydration, and homelessness. It is not as though not giving anything will suddenly mean Haiti as a problem disappears.

There are so many tragedies, and it is all so overwhelming. Haiti deserves our support. I don't think we really get to decide that people's lives are not worth living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    Yeh **** 'em; there are big problems so we might as well just give up and leave them to die. Brill.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    You could use the "what's the point" argument for most underdeveloped countries. In the grand scheme of things, donating £2 a month isn't going to turn Sudan into Singapore. But if it makes people feel like they've made a difference then let them feel good about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    This might upset people to hear this but I don't see the point in giving money to Hati because truthfully the country was a dump before the earthquake and I think no matter how much money you donate the people's quality of life is still going to be very poor. The country is flooded with crime, rape and murder and in light of the earthquake probably an increase in looting.

It doesn't matter how much money you give, Haiti has recieved aid in the past because after decades of bad government allowing crime to go on, rape itself was only made a criminal offence in 2005 the crime becomes part of a country's culture and many people's way of life.

What good is the aid we give them? We'll fix them up a little because the pictures of their suffering will make us feel bad and then we will leave only for the same problems to continue. Who wants to live like that? What kind of life are we leaving them in? If I lived on Haiti I would probably rather die than be barely kept alive only to live a life in a poorly built slum, poor education and live in a country filled with crime and poverty. Where's the happiness and purpose in my life? What have I got to look forward too?

Do you think the money you donate today is going to help this little girl in Haiti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnklOtfJRSE ? Likely is it isn't, she's still going to be a slave.

So tell me? How can you feel a sense of pride in donating a few pounds knowing your only helping continue the existence of these poor people? No matter what you do your efforts are fruitless, some things even money can't fix.
    You're a bit simple aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    The aid is going towards picking up the pieces from the earthquake, not to build schools and hospitals.

EDIT: DUUHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    If you were in their position would you be saying this? Its easy for you to say if you live in a developed country. Its unbelievable how horrible people are in the West towards people who are less fortunate. The aid os food and shelter not just money to help these people.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe now people will actually realise that a lot of help is needed there, and continue to help after the media coverage has died down!

ReputationRep:
    The slightest donation would make a huge difference in these underdevoloped countries. They're human beings just like us. They've just havent had an equally privelaged life. They are still hurting.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you see controversial threads on TSR which bring up quite an interesting point to debate. However, this is not one of those.

Yes they may have a poor quality of life, but they are 42 on the happiest countries list for 2009 so it can't be that bad there.

More to the point - we are not trying to improve quality of life or alter the way a country is governed - thats for its people to change, we are trying to STOP PEOPLE DYING.

ReputationRep:
    people are dying and loosing relatives. this has nothing to do with their poor economy and standard of living...spare some feelings for a 10 year old boy who has lost all his relatives please ...tit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antithesis)
    OP, I disagree - I think aid relief really is vital.

We should support Haiti heavily in this time of disaster, and we should also work for long-term recovery and solutions. I understand that this is a country of terrifying prospects, but I hardly think we can say things along the line of 'at least the earthquake has put them out of their misery'.

I agree that it is a country of painfully deep flaws and incomprehensible tragedy. But if we don't even give aid, the situation will be even worse. We will have compounded the insecurities of Haiti with mass starvation, disease, dehydration, and homelessness. It is not as though not giving anything will suddenly mean Haiti as a problem disappears.

There are so many tragedies, and it is all so overwhelming. Haiti deserves our support. I don't think we really get to decide that people's lives are not worth living.
    Another thing I don't understand is idea that they "deserve" our support. I know this may make me seem emotionless but this is just the way I see the world. Haiti earned its freedom from colonial rule in 1804. Since then they have had time to build a proper country, other caribbean nations did a good job of this but Haiti did not. Who's fault is this? I'm under no obligation to help them and don't see how they deserve anything from me. Maybe if things had been different and their was another reason for their poverty then I would feel sympathy but the reason for their lack of sucess is their own.

ReputationRep:
    this is the best(as in damn amusing) take on the rich helping the poor..
    just dont help?!!!... what a douche..simples

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Singh)
    people are dying and loosing relatives. this has nothing to do with their poor economy and standard of living...spare some feelings for a 10 year old boy who has lost all his relatives please ...tit
    This is exactly what i'm trying to say...Alot of people here just think of things from their own fkin perspective!!

ReputationRep:
    Are you actually being serious?

Who the hell are you to judge whether their lives are worth living?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    This is exactly what i'm trying to say...Alot of people here just think of things from their own fkin perspective!!
    exactly, everything given to them on a plate. lost all sense of human nature through materialistic things that they MUST aquire (iphones blackberries)
    If you have the money, great, spend it on what you want. But imagine just being in the situation of a child who has none of these must have items. he/she doesnt care, but now imagine the feeling of being all alone, and another human being is actually turning a blind eye to the help you seeking love/a little financial help for food. Its horrible what the world is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Singh)
    exactly, everything given to them on a plate. lost all sense of human nature through materialistic things that they MUST aquire (iphones blackberries)
    If you have the money, great, spend it on what you want. But imagine just being in the situation of a child who has none of these must have items. he/she doesnt care, but now imagine the feeling of being all alone, and another human being is actually turning a blind eye to the help you seeking love/a little financial help for food. Its horrible what the world is
    I know!! People are so immoral its unbelievable. Some of the responses to this thread any many others just make me angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    i would actually like to have one of those
    I prefer Ferrari's. Or a Jaaaagggg...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.