Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    ali g in da house?

no matter how much you get angry its not going to change anything, well done to giving 50 quid of your own money but not all of us have money to give

ive given nothing
    haha, this is what i mean.. 'not all of us have money to give'
    mate sometimes sacrifice something in your life to benifit some one in desperate need. i didnt have £50 in my wallet and went, oh what shall i do with this today. i took it out of my wage, and put it together with money i raised standing in snow and rain the past 3 days because i care, maybe you should too. btw i am a full time student with exams on atm and have a part time job and need to run a car to get to and from college and work and home, so i havnt got disposible income to throw anyway i want.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with OP although in hindsight this earthquake isn't turning out so bad for them. I honestly thought Haiti was a nice, peaceful country but now I know it isn't and a lot of other people are the same. So they could end up with more help in the future to become a better nation which would ultimately be a success.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, lets save all the money so us lot in rich countries can buy another gas guzzling car to drive accross the street to buy a big mac to eat in the car and then through the rubbish out the window and get out our blackberries and tweet about it before rushing home to our warm comfy sofas and watching deal or no deal whilst telling people on TSR if we think they are ugly or not.

It's fair enough that you have an opinion, but I really wouldn't say it out loud, becuase a lot of people would disagree with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    This might upset people to hear this but I don't see the point in giving money to Hati because truthfully the country was a dump before the earthquake and I think no matter how much money you donate the people's quality of life is still going to be very poor. The country is flooded with crime, rape and murder and in light of the earthquake probably an increase in looting.

It doesn't matter how much money you give, Haiti has recieved aid in the past because after decades of bad government allowing crime to go on, rape itself was only made a criminal offence in 2005 the crime becomes part of a country's culture and many people's way of life.

What good is the aid we give them? We'll fix them up a little because the pictures of their suffering will make us feel bad and then we will leave only for the same problems to continue. Who wants to live like that? What kind of life are we leaving them in? If I lived on Haiti I would probably rather die than be barely kept alive only to live a life in a poorly built slum, poor education and live in a country filled with crime and poverty. Where's the happiness and purpose in my life? What have I got to look forward too?

Do you think the money you donate today is going to help this little girl in Haiti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnklOtfJRSE ? Likely is it isn't, she's still going to be a slave.

So tell me? How can you feel a sense of pride in donating a few pounds knowing your only helping continue the existence of these poor people? No matter what you do your efforts are fruitless, some things even money can't fix.
    You can't even spell Haiti correctly/consistently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Singh)
    haha, this is what i mean.. 'not all of us have money to give'
    mate sometimes sacrifice something in your life to benifit some one in desperate need. i didnt have £50 in my wallet and went, oh what shall i do with this today. i took it out of my wage, and put it together with money i raised standing in snow and rain the past 3 days because i care, maybe you should too. btw i am a full time student with exams on atm and have a part time job and need to run a car to get to and from college and work and home, so i havnt got disposible income to throw anyway i want.

and neither do i, im struggling to make money being self employed i have rent/CT and bills to pay (i dont live with my parents) my bills have to come first, sorry if you dont like that but tough i can not sacrifice a bill in order to donate money to charity if i dont pay my bills i get cut off or thrown out of my home

ReputationRep:
    Sorry If come across cold hearted buts its just the way I see the world. I understand that talking about the "value of a persons life" is a grey area but surely some existences are worth more than others? You yourself will likely lead a mucher better and happier and higher quality of life that most of the people in Haiti and if I had to choose between ten of them living and you then I would choose you. For example why do some parents choose to get in debt and send their children to private school? Because its a "better" life than what they had.

If people of lesser fourtune want to continue their lives then they have every right to, I never said anything of actively seeking to wipe them out but if their life is so poor and you decide whether they live or die such as in the Haiti situation now caused by non human activity then how can you step in and stand on the high ground and interfere choosing to keep them alive? What makes your choice more moral and better than choosing to let them die? Maybe if they died they would be reincarnated into a happier life?
    I don't think you understand life. Life to you just seems like a statistic.
    I actually can't believe the things that I'm reading. It's not about how successful one is. So you're telling me a receptionist with no children, but has a better quality of life because they're more educated deserves to live over a poor person with children who may inevitably follow the cycle in poverty?

A lot of you're logic is exactly what you say, involves no emotion. But with this type of subject, emotion must be brought in. You're talking about fellow human beings not some vintage cars that you've decided are taking up space in your garage!

ReputationRep:
    This is a pretty stupid argument. You do make a valid point in that Haiti needs to establish a proper government and be able to stand on its own two feet (although to ever do that it's going to need financial assistance) , but that is completely unrelated to aid being given right now. This aid is to deal with a major disaster and people would be donating even if it was a rich developed country.

ReputationRep:
    This might upset people to hear this but I don't see the point in giving money to Hati because truthfully the country was a dump before the earthquake and I think no matter how much money you donate the people's quality of life is still going to be very poor. The country is flooded with crime, rape and murder and in light of the earthquake probably an increase in looting.

It doesn't matter how much money you give, Haiti has recieved aid in the past because after decades of bad government allowing crime to go on, rape itself was only made a criminal offence in 2005 the crime becomes part of a country's culture and many people's way of life.

What good is the aid we give them? We'll fix them up a little because the pictures of their suffering will make us feel bad and then we will leave only for the same problems to continue. Who wants to live like that? What kind of life are we leaving them in? If I lived on Haiti I would probably rather die than be barely kept alive only to live a life in a poorly built slum, poor education and live in a country filled with crime and poverty. Where's the happiness and purpose in my life? What have I got to look forward too?

Do you think the money you donate today is going to help this little girl in Haiti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnklOtfJRSE ? Likely is it isn't, she's still going to be a slave.

So tell me? How can you feel a sense of pride in donating a few pounds knowing your only helping continue the existence of these poor people? No matter what you do your efforts are fruitless, some things even money can't fix.
    GTFO. Seriously.

Just because these people live in poverty, in poorly built houses and do not have access to high-quality education, you're confident enough to dismiss their lives as valueless. That is literally what you said! :confused:

I can tell you first hand that I have seen hundreds in poverty in conditions considerably worse than those in Haiti when there hasn't just been an earthquake, who live in more functional families and genuinely seem happier than our dysfunctional neighbours who divorced, got back together, have kids who just don't give a **** about anything and generally live like hateful alcoholic ********.

I seriously get so angry at people in the first world who cannot empathise with those who live a different way of life and actually like it. Bring some of these people to Britain and I can tell you a number might just commit suicide despite the world-class education, housing and what-not superficial else they could have access to.

Their country is not a 'dump' to them, their culture is beautiful and worth cherishing to those people and their lives are certainly not valueless you arrogant [person] (so I don't get warned).

Crime is a problem in their society granted. But can you name me a culture in the world which doesn't have a problem? Scrap that, even easier: a society in history which has never had a problem in their way of living? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't donate to them if you are a heartless and cold monster. But don't expect anything less than a vile reaction if you post your filthy and anti-humanitarian views on an open board.

ReputationRep:
    and neither do i, im struggling to make money being self employed i have rent/CT and bills to pay (i dont live with my parents) my bills have to come first, sorry if you dont like that but tough i can not sacrifice a bill in order to donate money to charity if i dont pay my bills i get cut off or thrown out of my home
    you are in a tough situation, but you are failing to get my point. so i will stop there.

ReputationRep:
    ok i understand the 'its not our fault there was an earthquake' bit, kinda! but thats no reason to help someone in need, wheres your decency?
    if it was something that had somehow triggered themselves, for example, you mate is not looking where they are going and walks into something, then thats their own fault and wouldnt get my sympathy, idiot did it to himself
    but these people did not cause the earthquake
    im sure if a terrible disaster happened to us youd hope someone would come to our aid???

*must learn to proof read what i post*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterJomi)
    I don't think you understand life. Life to you just seems like a statistic.
    I actually can't believe the things that I'm reading. It's not about how successful one is. So you're telling me a receptionist with no children, but has a better quality of life because they're more educated deserves to live over a poor person with children who may inevitably follow the cycle in poverty?

A lot of you're logic is exactly what you say, involves no emotion. But with this type of subject, emotion must be brought in. You're talking about fellow human beings not some vintage cars that you've decided are taking up space in your garage!
    Yup, this. Rep for you

ReputationRep:
    We have no room to go gallivanting around to help others; we are poor. We have enough issues at home to fix before we can even help any other country. Haiti is a worthless country anyway; the neighboring countries were hit just as bad and we don't see them crying for help. This is coming from someone who has been to both Haiti, R.D., and other parts of the Caribbean and Central America.

At the rate we're going, in another decade it'll take several generations to pull ourselves out of debt without massively printing our dollar, leading to devaluation and inflation, driving cost of living higher and higher and putting a strain on our entire system, destroying confidence in the dollar and leaving our children destitute. No nation should put themselves in that situation. Just because every other nation is throwing themselves off a bridge doesn't mean we should.

ReputationRep:
    you are in a tough situation, but you are failing to get my point. so i will stop there.
    no im really not you are saying everyone should donate, im saying SOMETIMES people have no choice but to not donate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    GTFO. Seriously.

Just because these people live in poverty, in poorly built houses and do not have access to high-quality education, you're confident enough to dismiss their lives as valueless. That is literally what you said! :confused:

I can tell you first hand that I have seen hundreds in poverty in conditions considerably worse than those in Haiti when there hasn't just been an earthquake, who live in more functional families and genuinely seem happier than our dysfunctional neighbours who divorced, got back together, have kids who just don't give a **** about anything and generally live like hateful alcoholic ********.

I seriously get so angry at people in the first world who cannot empathise with those who live a different way of life and actually like it. Bring some of these people to Britain and I can tell you a number might just commit suicide despite the world-class education, housing and what-not superficial else they could have access to.

Their country is not a 'dump' to them, their culture is beautiful and worth cherishing to those people and their lives are certainly not valueless you arrogant [person] (so I don't get warned).

Crime is a problem in their society granted. But can you name me a culture in the world which doesn't have a problem? Scrap that, even easier: a society in history which has never had a problem in their way of living?

Don't donate to them if you are a heartless and cold monster. But don't expect anything less than a vile reaction if you post your filthy and anti-humanitarian views on an open board.
    beautifully put.. problem is, will people who are in their busy busy lives, paying bills, going out getting drunk/high, spending thousands on holidays an cars actually take notice? I doubt it. And THIS is the sad fact of todays world.

ReputationRep:
    If their lives are so bad that they don't want to continue with them, they can commit suicide. But at least by providing them with aid, we leave that option to them rather than deciding for ourselves!

ReputationRep:
    OH MY PLEASE STFU! how dare you imply that your life is more worth more/means more than anybody elses in the world. so what if they work 15 hours a day for 30p. so what if they have AIDS. so what if they dont know their parents. you do not have a devine right over anyone. And that my friend is a fact that you really really need to understand to start respecting the world.
    The fact is those people will likely have more unhappy lives compared to me and I care to wager that a lot of people on this forum will say that happiness is important to having a meaningful life. Would you rather, if you had to choose between me and 10 people living in poverty dying you would choose them simply on the basis that there's more of them despite the fact they would be starving and in pain for the rest of their life? Would you be okay with that? Why isn't letting them die an act of mercy?

I'm not saying I'm better than them and don't try to imply that I am. I merely believe based on our situations my life has a certain higher priority. Are younger people and the elderly better than everyone else because they are given priority in healthcare? No, but they are given priority to things such as vaccinations in a crisis which could save their life.

ReputationRep:
    THIS IS MAKING ME SICK.
    Companies can get into millions of pounds of debt to invest into corrupt corporations. YET when peoples lives are at risk, and let me say something, the body count will continue to rise till there is sufficient Aid provided. Yet when peoples lives are being crossed off like they are just a name on a list, governments cannot lend this money to finance Charity groups who are concerned about the wellfare of a human being just like me or you. I dont entirely agree with funding charities in this way to remove poverty from large areas of the world, because that will never happen. BUT WHEN 2 YEAR OLD BOYS AND GIRLS ARE BEING PULLED FROM RUBBLE FROM SIBLINGS TRYING TO FIND THEIR PARENTS AND OTHER RELATIVES. WHERE IS THE JUSTIFICATION OF NOT HELPING. its making me detest the exsitance of developed countries. (sorry my spelling again)
    Governments (in the west) already give billions and billions in aid and loans. Why should they lend to charities as well?

ReputationRep:
    I think youve got youre self all wrong my friend! Giving aid to a country ravaged by an earthquake that has killed atleast 50,000+ is not cruel. Now giving stevie wonder a basketball and telling him to read it, thats cruel.

ReputationRep:
    no im really not you are saying everyone should donate, im saying SOMETIMES people have no choice but to not donate
    £5, even £1 . sorry does that hurt your financial status. or does that hurt your lazy arse from contributing. Its not a case of i do or i dont donate, its a case of i do or i dont care. and you obviously DO NOT CARE!

ReputationRep:
    £5, even £1 . sorry does that hurt your financial status. or does that hurt your lazy arse from contributing. Its not a case of i do or i dont donate, its a case of i do or i dont care. and you obviously DO NOT CARE!

at this moment in time yes it does i dont think you realise how little money i have left after paying bills

nothing, nowt, zilch, nada, none

thats how much so get off your ******* high horse :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.