Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    The fact is those people will likely have more unhappy lives compared to me and I care to wager that a lot of people on this forum will say that happiness is important to having a meaningful life. Would you rather, if you had to choose between me and 10 people living in poverty dying you would choose them simply on the basis that there's more of them despite the fact they would be starving and in pain for the rest of their life? Would you be okay with that? Why isn't letting them die an act of mercy?

I'm not saying I'm better than them and don't try to imply that I am. I merely believe based on our situations my life has a certain higher priority. Are younger people and the elderly better than everyone else because they are given priority in healthcare? No, but they are given priority to things such as vaccinations in a crisis which could save their life.
    If I had to choose between 10 people living in poverty and you, I'd honestly choose them. In my opinion the value of your life doesn't outweigh a single one of theirs.

So using your system of logic without emotion, it makes mathematical sense. Seeing as 10 > 1.

ReputationRep:
    Well who would you choose? Providing that the two people were similar in everything except the difference mentioned would you choose the working class person and disabled person simply out of spite and to pity them?
    I have no idea but i would see them as exactly the same, both could go on to live happy lives. There are many other factors to the value of someone's life than 'oh they're poor, could have disease, life not worth living'. I imagine some people in Haiti were living happy lives before this happened, despite what the situation was there.

People are poor and have disease in many places but we shouldn't just not blink an eyelid at fifty thousand people dying, if we can try to help.

It's precisely because we have this 'better life' that we should help. Can you even imagine waking up and having no family left and no home? I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    This might upset people to hear this but I don't see the point in giving money to Hati because truthfully the country was a dump before the earthquake and I think no matter how much money you donate the people's quality of life is still going to be very poor. The country is flooded with crime, rape and murder and in light of the earthquake probably an increase in looting.

It doesn't matter how much money you give, Haiti has recieved aid in the past because after decades of bad government allowing crime to go on, rape itself was only made a criminal offence in 2005 the crime becomes part of a country's culture and many people's way of life.

What good is the aid we give them? We'll fix them up a little because the pictures of their suffering will make us feel bad and then we will leave only for the same problems to continue. Who wants to live like that? What kind of life are we leaving them in? If I lived on Haiti I would probably rather die than be barely kept alive only to live a life in a poorly built slum, poor education and live in a country filled with crime and poverty. Where's the happiness and purpose in my life? What have I got to look forward too?

Do you think the money you donate today is going to help this little girl in Haiti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnklOtfJRSE ? Likely is it isn't, she's still going to be a slave.

So tell me? How can you feel a sense of pride in donating a few pounds knowing your only helping continue the existence of these poor people? No matter what you do your efforts are fruitless, some things even money can't fix.
    I did not donate money to the Haitians with the intention of trying to feel good about myself. I did it because I wanted to help them in their time of suffering. I am saddened by what happened to these people and I would never want such a thing to ever happen to me. The money I donate won't go towards developing Haiti. It will aid in providing food and other necessities to the victims of the earthquake.

Who the hell are you to say that our donations won't fix anything? You're being very arrogant and selfish. However, it is you choose to be that way, then there is nothing that will stop you from doing so. If you don't feel that you can contribute anything meaningful to Haiti, then so be it. When you see others contributing, they obviously want to help and they obviously believe that their donations can somehow help the Haitians. It is not your place to question any of this. Whether you like it or not, millions will be donated to help the Haitians and your little opinion would not matter at all.

You don't want to help Haiti because you don't think it's worth it; others want to help Haiti because they feel that their donations will help. Surprise, surprise. What's the problem?

Now what is the point of this thread again? :hmmmm2:

Yeh, lets help other countries become developed and then ***** when they have nuclear weaponary.

ReputationRep:
    The fact is those people will likely have more unhappy lives compared to me and I care to wager that a lot of people on this forum will say that happiness is important to having a meaningful life. Would you rather, if you had to choose between me and 10 people living in poverty dying you would choose them simply on the basis that there's more of them despite the fact they would be starving and in pain for the rest of their life? Would you be okay with that? Why isn't letting them die an act of mercy?

I'm not saying I'm better than them and don't try to imply that I am. I merely believe based on our situations my life has a certain higher priority. Are younger people and the elderly better than everyone else because they are given priority in healthcare? No, but they are given priority to things such as vaccinations in a crisis which could save their life.
    Have you witnessed people in poverty? People in poverty are not... LISTEN. THEY ARE NOT UNHAPPY, sure they do not have money like you and I, but I would damn right choose them 10 over you because they have strong morals that would make them alot happier in life than someone living of benifits in this country with no morals at all(not implying that this is you) . you can have your view and be happy with it. end off

ReputationRep:
    The question the OP is asking is idiotic but I feel kinda out of place commenting when I haven't made a donation myself.

ReputationRep:
    The fact is those people will likely have more unhappy lives compared to me and I care to wager that a lot of people on this forum will say that happiness is important to having a meaningful life.
    Those people would appreciate their lives tenfold to you, i bet.

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing to do with fixing the country permanently. Helping people receive basic medical care and supplies is the first priority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    Yeh, lets help other countries become developed and then ***** when they have nuclear weaponary.
    Erm...it doesn't quite work like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    I did not donate money to the Haitians with the intention of trying to feel good about myself. I did it because I wanted to help them in their time of suffering. I am saddened by what happened to these people and I would never want such a thing to ever happen to me. The money I donate won't go towards developing Haiti. It will aid in providing food and other necessities to the victims of the earthquake.

Who the hell are you to say that our donations won't fix anything? You're being very arrogant and selfish. However, it is you choose to be that way, then there is nothing that will stop you from doing so. If you don't feel that you can contribute anything meaningful to Haiti, then so be it. When you see others contributing, they obviously want to help and they obviously believe that their donations can somehow help the Haitians. It is not your place to question any of this. Whether you like it or not, millions will be donated to help the Haitians and your little opinion would not matter at all.

You don't want to help Haiti because you don't think it's worth it; others want to help Haiti because they feel that their donations will help. Surprise, surprise. What's the problem?

Now what is the point of this thread again? :hmmmm2:
    do some research into the charity you are donating. donate to a private charity that is working in the country. trust me it gets to the ones that need food/medical help.

ReputationRep:

How the hell can you say something like that?

It is so obviously out of ignorance my friend. :rolleyes: Go and meet some people in a third world country where they are not in 'relative poverty' because their neighbours have no more than them, and you'll realise they live often very happy and therefore meaningful lives.

Do you not think they feel love at the birth of a new baby? No pride when their child reaches a certain milestone or makes an achievement? No happiness and spirituality in their religious practices? No satisfaction in helping those even more needy than them?

The fact of the matter is that at some point in history, your ancestors would have been poor schmucks too (everybody's ancestors will have been at some point) and we are only here because they were helped out and were strong enough survive.

You quick-fix of "let those who are poor die out" is mind-numbingly ignorant at best, but pure evil at worst. :yes:

(Original post by Mr.Singh)
    beautifully put.. problem is, will people who are in their busy busy lives, paying bills, going out getting drunk/high, spending thousands on holidays an cars actually take notice? I doubt it. And THIS is the sad fact of todays world.
    Exactly.

Then you get those like this jackass who advocates the cease of charity. ^^

It is even more shocking and sad that such people exist.

ReputationRep:
    I think OP had a good point initially, until he started replying to the strawman arguments people gave him. I see it this way: of course donating seems like a good thing to do, because the alternative is that innocent people die. HOWEVER, let's say people do donate, and the Haitians rebuild their houses and many of them are saved. What happens next? They go back to how they were before, corrupt, crime-ridden, unable to exist without the UN governing them, and largely DEFENSELESS against natural disasters. Then, several decades later, something like this happens again, and another 100000 people die, and more aid money is pumped into the country, and the cycle continues. Is this really a better alternative? I'm not saying donating is completely without justification, but please don't act like it's going to be some cure-all which will mean that this type of thing won't happen over and over again in the future.

When you put it like that, does it really make me abhorrent for feeling like donating isn't going to prevent any human suffering in the long run?

ReputationRep:
    This, without a doubt, has to be the dumbest thing I have read all year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    at this moment in time yes it does i dont think you realise how little money i have left after paying bills

nothing, nowt, zilch, nada, none

thats how much so get off your ******* high horse :rolleyes:
    i believe you...

ReputationRep:
    greed and selfishness only exist through generosity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    How the hell can you say something like that?

It is so obviously out of ignorance my friend. :rolleyes: Go and meet some people in a third world country where they are not in 'relative poverty' because their neighbours have no more than them, and you'll realise they live often very happy and therefore meaningful lives.

Do you not think they feel love at the birth of a new baby? No pride when their child reaches a certain milestone or makes an achievement? No happiness and spirituality in their religious practices? No satisfaction in helping those even more needy than them?

The fact of the matter is that at some point in history, your ancestors would have been poor schmucks too (everybody's ancestors will have been at some point) and we are only here because they were helped out and were strong enough survive.

You quick-fix of "let those who are poor die out" is mind-numbingly ignorant at best, but pure evil at worst. :yes:

Exactly.

Then you get those like this jackass who advocates the cease of charity. ^^

It is even more shocking and sad that such people exist.
    in todays world, i would rather exist as a fish....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Singh)
    i believe you...

:rolleyes: do you really think i give a ******* **** of some patronising **** on the internet believes me or not (and yes i did detect the sarcasm in your post)

(Original post by Bishamon)
    Erm...it doesn't quite work like that.

Lol....by developed I meant have money...unless they buy bombs with chocolate?....How do you know how it works anyway....terrorist....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    I think OP had a good point initially, until he started replying to the strawman arguments people gave him. I see it this way: of course donating seems like a good thing to do, because the alternative is that innocent people die. HOWEVER, let's say people do donate, and the Haitians rebuild their houses and many of them are saved. What happens next? They go back to how they were before, corrupt, crime-ridden, unable to exist without the UN governing them, and largely DEFENSELESS against natural disasters. Then, several decades later, something like this happens again, and another 100000 people die, and more aid money is pumped into the country, and the cycle continues. Is this really a better alternative? I'm not saying donating is completely without justification, but please don't act like it's going to be some cure-all which will mean that this type of thing won't happen over and over again in the future.
    :rolleyes:

There won't ever be a cure-all, silly. We're helping out the victims of this tragedy. What do you not understand from that?

If something like this happens several decades later, you'll be damned to see people still donating money. Sure, Haiti would not be able to get back on its feet, but that's no reason to deny these human beings of the help that they deserve.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying I'm better than them and don't try to imply that I am. I merely believe based on our situations my life has a certain higher priority.
    I think my head just exploded from the hypocrisy. "I'm not better than them, but my life is more important".

Poverty does not necessarily equal unhappiness. Kevin McCloud Slumming It proved that quite comprehensively.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.