Turn on thread page Beta

a true feminist would never use the "women and children" first rule watch

ReputationRep:
    what gave me the idea for this: http://glennsacks.com/blog/?p=4514link

If you believe in this and your a feminist are you not says women are weaker or more important than men. just to be clear im not talking about say a single mother and I do believe children should be saved first.

If your a feminist and a man and a woman were both there (no family, importance or anything to say whos more important) would you say she should be saved first?

discuss

ReputationRep:
    no **** sherlock

ReputationRep:
    Well IMO children should definitely be saved first because they are the future generation. In the case of a ship sinking, I presume that children would generally find the experience a lot more traumatic without their mothers. Come on lets be realistic, you can't just put a load of kids in a boat by themselves, that would be cruel! So yeah, women and children should be saved first, and I wouldn't really describe myself as a feminist either btw.

ReputationRep:
    yeh in theory, but i bet a tonne of them would jump in those lifeboats! it's kinda what got me about the whole suffragette thing... there was all this uproar about whether it was fair to put the women in jail, but if a man had commited the same crime they would've been slung in without a second thought.

hence why i'm not really a feminist, too much double standards! not too mention the crazy radicals :/ oh &, i think children should be saved first

ReputationRep:
    Looking at it from a feminist point of view, then the man and woman should be given equal status and so yes, one should not be picked over the other.

BUT looking at general courtesy and how we generally structure of society, many men would allow the woman to go first...

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to talk about a 'true feminist', as there are so many different branches - it's simply an academic discipline that pays a lot of attention to gender.

But, back to topic, I consider myself a feminist, and I think that whoever is most in need should be saved first, regardless of gender. Although, as with those above, I think children should be a definite priority.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't as profound as you thought it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    :ditto:

OP, a true feminist wouldn't let a man pay the bill on a date but women, just like men, are hypocrites.

ReputationRep:
    Gah. One thing I HATE is when men fight for the free seats on Underground train cars. What a bunch of pussies.

ReputationRep:
    From my perspective it goes children, women, men, feminists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    From my perspective it goes children, women, men, feminists.
    Haha, this.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on your definitions, being a feminist does not necessitate a disconnection from reality. Men are physically stronger and more durable than women, in general, so if you want to pull as many people out of the burning building or sinking ship as possible you take the women first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Depending on your definitions, being a feminist does not necessitate a disconnection from reality. Men are physically stronger and more durable than women, in general, so if you want to pull as many people out of the burning building or sinking ship as possible you take the women first.
    I'd go physically weakest first, which would probably include a proportionately greater number of women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    Gah. One thing I HATE is when men fight for the free seats on Underground train cars. What a bunch of pussies.
    why should they pay the same amount and have to stand? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    Seconded. Sometimes men get tired legs too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    yeh in theory, but i bet a tonne of them would jump in those lifeboats! it's kinda what got me about the whole suffragette thing... there was all this uproar about whether it was fair to put the women in jail, but if a man had commited the same crime they would've been slung in without a second thought.
    men didn't need to commit the crime of protesting for their right to vote - they've had that right since suffrage began in this country. you've got it wrong anyway - there was no furore over the fact that they were sent to jail (women have been sent to jail long long before the suffragettes arrived), it was over their horrific treatment. look up forced-feeding through tubes forced up through the nose, and the cat and mouse act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_and_Mouse_Act

some of these women died, and many many more suffered, for you to be recognised in this country as a citizen with the same basic rights as men. 'the suffragette thing' was vastly important for women in this country. women here didn't get the same rights as men to vote until 1928. don't write it off with such a blasé attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    no **** sherlock
    Just what I was going to say.

A true feminist would not say that women should be saved from a sinking ship before men just because they are women. If she was clearly weaker than all the men, then maybe she should - but then if there was a man who was also clearly weaker than everyone else, then he should be saved first too. It's about physical strength, not gender. If a woman is stronger than most, then no she should not be saved first. That's why children should be saved first, because they are physically weaker (as well as the fact that they are the next generation.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    Boohoo! Knocking old ladies out the way to get to the seat on the end and eat chicken flavoured crisps. Sitting there crunching away ignorant to everyone they've stepped on. I feel like punching them with my metro. Not sure how that would work, but it's something I'd like to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    Boohoo! Knocking old ladies out the way to get to the seat on the end and eat chicken flavoured crisps. Sitting there crunching away ignorant to everyone they've stepped on. I feel like punching them with my metro. Not sure how that would work, but it's something I'd like to do.
    who cares? theyre only old ladies

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.