Turn on thread page Beta

Spoiler:
    Show
    Disclaimer: Yeah, I know - it's pathetic that i'm making a H&R thread about exam stress when there are far worse things happening in the world, but at least this way I can't be judged as much and you're not forced to listen to me whinge if you don't want to. Sorry for being self-absorbed but I'd appreciate someone to talk to...

Basically I'm ******** myself. I'm so incredibly stressed, it's unbelievable. It feels like A levels all over again - I work myself up about exams so much.
    Are 1st year exams difficult? (I know that's a broad question)

I tried to get some past papers from the library but everyone else has taken them so I don't know what kind of questions to expect. I've been revising and I understand it all - I just have a mind like a sieve and I forget easily, I can't fail. I hate this feeling of the unexpected. I just feel horrible...like I'm going to fail and mess it all up and have the lowest mark in the year. I need confidence, I know

ReputationRep:
    Ah well. I'm in the opposite boat. I think I've got some serious problems because while I'm in deep **** where preparation is concerned... I am unperturbed. Exam on Monday and covered less than 1/2 the material. Exam on Wed where I don't know anything. Yet here I am, chatting leisurely on TSR. Uggghh. Hopefully I pass and rally in the second term. I'm an international student as well so I have a bit more riding on this. FML! If only I developed proper discipline at an early age.

ReputationRep:
    Look there is no point in stressing. University exams specially first year are not difficult. Usually you just need to know stuff from the lecture notes.
    I got overly stressed during my exams last summer and abandoned them and going to give them this yr, now that's the worst thing i've done in my entire lifetime. Please don't stress you're only gonna make life difficult. If you understand it, you will pass.Just look at it this way, the worst thing that can happen is you will get a passing mark, thats okay coz first year isn't worth much anyhow.
    Just take your mind off work for a day or a couple of hours, go to the movies or something and come back to start fresh.

(Original post by pianoblack)
    Ah well. I'm in the opposite boat. I think I've got some serious problems because while I'm in deep **** where preparation is concerned... I am unperturbed. Exam on Monday and covered less than 1/2 the material. Exam on Wed where I don't know anything. Yet here I am, chatting leisurely on TSR. Uggghh. Hopefully I pass and rally in the second term. I'm an international student as well so I have a bit more riding on this. FML! If only I developed proper discipline at an early age.
    Good luck I wish I was calm like you.
    It's nearly midnight so you shouldn't feel guilty that you're not revising right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Disclaimer: Yeah, I know - it's pathetic that i'm making a H&R thread about exam stress when there are far worse things happening in the world, but at least this way I can't be judged as much and you're not forced to listen to me whinge if you don't want to. Sorry for being self-absorbed but I'd appreciate someone to talk to...

Basically I'm ******** myself. I'm so incredibly stressed, it's unbelievable. It feels like A levels all over again - I work myself up about exams so much.

I tried to get some past papers from the library but everyone else has taken them so I don't know what kind of questions to expect. I've been revising and I understand it all - I just have a mind like a sieve and I forget easily, I can't fail. I hate this feeling of the unexpected. I just feel horrible...like I'm going to fail and mess it all up and have the lowest mark in the year. I need confidence, I know
    Are 1st year exams difficult? Well, yes, in that any exam can be difficult if you're not prepared. However, I'm sure you are. For first year exams, you can generally get by doing just the bare minimum (however I do NOT recommend this).

Can you get past papers online? Most unis publish them somewhere, I believe. If not, can you ask a tutor for some, or perhaps ask them to give some exam-style questions? And possibly even mark them for you?

As long as you get a regular revision schedule going, you should be more than fine. Even if it feels like the information isn't going in, it is. Practise exam papers, essay questions, exam technique (anything relevant to your subject) - practising this is probably the best thing to prepare you for exams.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck I wish I was calm like you.
    It's nearly midnight so you shouldn't feel guilty that you're not revising right now.
    No! No! I shouldn't be calm at all! Trade me half of your stress and I'll give you half of my calmness/apathy. I should feel guilty. It's reached midnight and I've done a pitiful amount of revision. I plan to obsess over my work this weekend. Good luck to you too!

(Original post by pianoblack)
    No! No! I shouldn't be calm at all! Trade me half of your stress and I'll give you half of my calmness/apathy. I should feel guilty. It's reached midnight and I've done a pitiful amount of revision. I plan to obsess over my work this weekend. Good luck to you too!
    I get to a point where I feel guilty even when I've revised all day - we both need a medium lol :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Get well prepared.

And relax.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Its because you're so stressed and keep working your self up that you haven't prepared or that you're going to fail thats why you keep forgetting things.
    I used to be like this before every exam i kept getting myself in such a state that i was going to fail - that i would just focus on the panicking and would forget evreything of what i have learned the previous week r so.
    Once you've tackled the stress you will tackle the panicking - you need to keep yourself calm and KNOW that you CAN do this.
    Everything will fall into place once you've dealt with the panicking - trust me.
    Good Luck
    By the way what you uni and course?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.