Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Depression, please help! watch

    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    I know there's loads of threads like this but i really need some advice.
    Basically, I've been feeling really fed up now for a while and I have no idea why. It's got to the point where nothing seems to make me happy, and I don't enjoy stuff I used to.
    I'm 2nd year at university, and I've been back for a week now, but I'm just not enjoying it. I don't think it's anything to do with uni; I love the place, I had a great time last year and I have brilliant friends, and I wasn't much happier at home. The only time I really feel ok is when I'm with other people, as soon as I'm on my own I feel awful again.
    I know I should probably see a doctor, but I don't want to if I'm just fed up, and i have no idea if it's that or if I'm actually depressed. Any ideas on how to make myself feel any better? Also, what usually happens when you go to see a gp about this kind of thing?

    ....deja vu?

    Nah I'll try to help. Tbh what you're going through does sound a little like depression, although I'm no doctor, I know what you mean about being okish around people but then crap when you're alone. Not enjoying stuff you used to is a symptom of depression, so maybe it's worth having a chat with your doctor and see what they say. That's what doctors are for - to diagnose you, if we could do it over the internet or you could do it, then there'd be no point in GPs :p: Normally they throw anti-depressants at you, which isn't always helpful. Your uni will have a counselling service (probably....) so maybe it's worth checking that out because anti-depressants aren't really that great, especially not as a first option.

    Sounds very much like depression. Consultation with your GP or a doctor would be a good idea! However in the meantime you need to think about what is actually is that is making you feel like **** when you are on your own!

    Have you tried talking to your friends or family? It sounds like you are depressed, for I was in the exact situation.

    I had depression last year - and it was only last term that I admitted to myself that I was depressed. I spoke out to my friends and family, telling them how I felt. One of my friends told me she'd suffered it before - and it really helped knowing someone else close to me had been through it. Just doing this made me defeat it.

    I don't know if Doctors are a good idea. They usually just offer you anti-depressants which is just a temporary fix. Maybe you could try seeing a counsellor? The University will provide this support.
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    See someone at your uni counselling service. You will be able to talk through how you're feeling and if it doesn't help you could see your GP then.

    :console: Go to a qualified counsellor!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.