Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    #1 I heard that for A Level Biology exams, there will be long essays to write. Is this true? I know it will obviously be harder but is the format VERY different to GCSE exams, in that there won't be any multiple choice questions?

#2 I'm normally an A*/A student in Biology but I put it down mostly to my good memory. I am currently struggling in the coursework we are doing for our GCSE course - the practical element of Biology is very off putting? Do you think I should still go for it even though I'm better at theory than practice?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    For the AQA course there are not often any multiple choice questions. I have also not come across any questions worth more than about 8 marks, so there aren't huge essays to write, I think that's more OCR territory.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/scien...?id=03&prev=03
    Why not have a look at a past paper to see for yourself.

20% of your A level will be on practical assesment. This will be either an EMPA or ISA. I don't know about the ISA but for the EMPA even this is very much theoretical again - a bit of statistics and memorising phrases to use and doing past papers.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I find Biology A level really hard and have been getting A*s for Bio consistently during my GCSEs years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D0LLxo)
    #1 I heard that for A Level Biology exams, there will be long essays to write. Is this true? I know it will obviously be harder but is the format VERY different to GCSE exams, in that there won't be any multiple choice questions?

#2 I'm normally an A*/A student in Biology but I put it down mostly to my good memory. I am currently struggling in the coursework we are doing for our GCSE course - the practical element of Biology is very off putting? Do you think I should still go for it even though I'm better at theory than practice?

Thanks in advance.
    Biology is the HARDEST alevel out of everything!!!! i got an A* at gcse and ended up with a D at AS. dont do if you dont need it! do something like physics or chemistry! much easier! and you will get a much better grade in them belive me! and theres soo much application in the exam paper its unbeliveable!

ReputationRep:
    AS biology is easy... and u have good memory and thats all you need...
    A level biology is a bit harder but still all to do with remembering and you have to do some readig from outside the syllabus! and the essay is based on evrything you learnt in AS and A level so dont worry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.