Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Yr 11 choosing the subjects I would like to take in Yr's 12 and 13.

I am thinking of doing AS and A2 Maths as normal, one each year. On top of this though, I would like to self teach AS and A2 further maths, again, one each year.

My school uses Edexcel and does modules C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1 for Maths and I would like to do S2, S3, D1 as my options for Further maths.

Would all of this be possible and reasonably doable given I put in the time? Also, which text books would be best to self teach the Edexcel course?

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck, i hope you understand what your getting yourself into

ReputationRep:
    Most the things in further maths you shouldn't have a problem learning yourself, as long as you have someone who can explain the harder bits to you and show you where your going wrong if you can't figure it out. It's really not as hard as a lot of people make out i don't think.

Might wanna check out this website, i did further maths with very minimal tutor contact and found it pretty helpful. It's basically video lessons, covers pretty much all syllabus' (including edexcel).

ReputationRep:
    It's doable and as you are only teaching yourself 3 modules per year, not that difficult as long as you actually like Maths and put in the time and effort. Are you studying Physics at A-Level? If you are then I would do M1 as part of your Further Maths and D1 as Maths if possible just because M1 is pretty easy if you have already studied the majority of it in Physics.

As for textbooks, I don't know about Edexcel as I have never done Maths with them but I would imagine that they have official textbooks which will contain everything you need to know.

ReputationRep:
    Wow good luck with that. Have you considered being taught further maths and self teaching regular core modules, m1 and s1. Not convential but would sure be easier on you. Also, unless things have changed in the last two years, you would not be able to do S2, S3 and D1 because you are already doing two level one modules (m1 and s1). So yh, it will have to be FP1, S2, S3, NM and two others. Differential equations is a good module but I used that as my optional module in year 12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KieranWiltshire)
    I am currently in Yr 11 choosing the subjects I would like to take in Yr's 12 and 13.

I am thinking of doing AS and A2 Maths as normal, one each year. On top of this though, I would like to self teach AS and A2 further maths, again, one each year.

My school uses Edexcel and does modules C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1 for Maths and I would like to do S2, S3, D1 as my options for Further maths.

Would all of this be possible and reasonably doable given I put in the time? Also, which text books would be best to self teach the Edexcel course?
    definitely doable im doing this

i did c1 c2 s1 m2 fp1 by june 09
    c3 s2 jan 2010
    leaving
    c4 m1 s3 fp2 fp3 for june 2010

get the new pearson edexcel books

it's possible you have to be motivated and love maths a lot

good luck

ReputationRep:
    I self teach/tought AS and A2 further maths and A2 maths and I was okay. Depends how motivated you are, and how much free time you have.

ReputationRep:
    Piece o Cake , hell i am doing 6 modules in less than 6 months wooty wooty me out of which i have covered 4 (1/2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milan.)
    definitely doable im doing this

i did c1 c2 s1 m2 fp1 by june 09
    c3 s2 jan 2010
    leaving
    c4 s3 fp2 fp3 for june 2010

get the new pearson edexcel books

it's possible you have to be motivated and love maths a lot

good luck
    This is only 11 modules though, still missing a module for further maths? I just realised what you guys are talking about is the Edexcel course so perhaps for you numerical methods is not compulsory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's Ken!)
    This is only 11 modules though, still missing a module for further maths? I just realised what you guys are talking about is the Edexcel course so perhaps for you numerical methods is not compulsory
    oh i just forgot to add m1 its 12 modules

ReputationRep:
    Its doable, and very rewarding, provided you have the motivation to do all the work

ReputationRep:
    dont try
    u need a teacher

ReputationRep:
    This is like one of those things where at the start you go 'Awesome! I can do this, yeah!!! * double chest bump* HUUH'. Then when you approach exam time you'll be like ''WTF was I thinking?''

It's hard, hard work.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only thing that's helped me to do it is (I'm doing OCR MEI) the MEI website and all the resources... They're a godsend!

ReputationRep:
    Unless Maths comes very easily to you I'd probably leave it.

I cruise through Normal A2 Maths but FP3 and FP4 (AQA) are just outright tricky.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.