Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatIsAUsername?)
    I was wondering if anyone has ever seen or know any black jews. I have yet to come across one, nor have I seen any.
    whoopi goldberg is

also there are many in ethiopia i remember that from gcse R.E.

ReputationRep:
    Sammy Davis Jr.? But I think he may have converted into Judaism.

Apart from that, there's tons of Ethiopian Jews, can't say I've met any though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatIsAUsername?)
    I was wondering if anyone has ever seen or know any black jews. I have yet to come across one, nor have I seen any.
    Should have Googled this. Ethiopians! And others, in the past.

I remember someone asked me this a long time ago, I said the same thing, but also mentioned the Ali film (Will Smith) - his trainer is a black Jew (played by Jamie Foxx).

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's because we generally assume Jews are also an ethnicity ('Semites', although not completely true) - curly dark hair, pale skin...

ReputationRep:
    Mianstream European Judaism (Talmud) promotes discrimination against black Jews and therefore since the Atlantic slave trade those black Israelites have been oppressed.
    Many Black Israelites are in West Africa and their practice is very different to modern Jewry. I for one am of Ghanaian origin and Jewish (practicing) and I live in the UK, I know many more black Jews in the UK.
    Why do you think Jews are all white? What colour do you think the Egyptians were?

ReputationRep:
    No, but I know there are some black Jewish communities in some African countries.

ReputationRep:
    I always assume SuicideCommando's FOB friends are Jews, unless they tell me otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacklevi)
    Mianstream European Judaism (Talmud) promotes discrimination against black Jews and therefore since the Atlantic slave trade those black Israelites have been oppressed.
    Many Black Israelites are in West Africa and their practice is very different to modern Jewry. I for one am of Ghanaian origin and Jewish (practicing) and I live in the UK, I know many more black Jews in the UK.
    Why do you think Jews are all white? What colour do you think the Egyptians were?
    Can't answer for the Op, but i was under the impression they were all White because in the UK at least, i'd stake a bet that a good 99% of Jews would come under the White category. Seeing a Black Jew is very rare although i, like someone else in this thread, did learn in RE about the Ethiopian Jewish community.

ReputationRep:
    There is a very interesting tribe in Southern Africa called the Lemba who are Jewish. A high proportion of them carry the Kohanim gene.

Quite how they got as far south as Zimbabwe nobody really knows.

ReputationRep:
    I knew a black Jewish guy named Nation

ReputationRep:
    I had an argument with a friend the other day. He didn't believe me that it's possible to be a black jewish muslim. I still think it is. This thread has established that there are black jews, and being a jew is an ethnicity, not just a religion. So if a black jew became a muslim, he would still be a jew, just not of the jewish religion. Am I right? He also challenged me to find an example of a black jewish muslim. So is anyone here a black jew who joined Islam?

ReputationRep:
    Shalom all and happy New Year, I am Hatzil that's Patrick in Hebrew and I am fully black African from the Ivory Coast(Didier Drogba's country) and fully Jew. Yes there much more Black Jews than you may imagine. And contrary to the common view even among Jews there is not such thing as racial, biological Jews..It's simple the confusion between people of Hebraic descent which racial and Jew which a confession, faith that people of all races can adhere to. It's like confusing an Arab (racial)with Muslim(confession) . To be continued until then stay blessed.
    Patrick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP1989)
    No, but I know there are some black Jewish communities in some African countries.
    Yes all over Africa and also in the Caribbean n South America and the US...And Few in Europe including UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zion778)
    Yes all over Africa and also in the Caribbean n South America and the US...And Few in Europe including UK
    Did not the CREATOR G-D state HE would scatter Israelites all over the World? And G-D is not a man that HE should lie.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a few when I went to the US, but I don't personally know any.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    there is a group of racist black jews in the USA, can't remember their name, who think they are the chosen people of israel... will google.

edit - black hebrew israelites

ReputationRep:
    Drake (the rapper signed to Young Money) is Jewish

ReputationRep:
    apparently to be jewish your mother has to be jewish so people who convert are not really accepted.

ReputationRep:
    There are many ethiopian Jews. They claimed to be a lost tribe of Israel and DNA tests confirmed that they share many genes with other Jews. I went to schools in Israel that had about 20% ethiopians in them and now Israel has many sudanese people too.

Other than that I know of several Nigerian Jews from London who converted from Christianity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I had an argument with a friend the other day. He didn't believe me that it's possible to be a black jewish muslim. I still think it is. This thread has established that there are black jews, and being a jew is an ethnicity, not just a religion. So if a black jew became a muslim, he would still be a jew, just not of the jewish religion. Am I right? He also challenged me to find an example of a black jewish muslim. So is anyone here a black jew who joined Islam?
    I am not an expert but I don't think it is possible to be a black jewish muslim. If you are black then you are not an ethnic jew. You can be black and follow judaism so you are jewish but if you do not follow judaism then you don't have any ties to the jews.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.