The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Watched a documentary about the Hebrew Israelites.

SUPER LOLZ

To be honest I haven't actually met a Jewish person (as far as I know) there isn't really a large Jewish community near me so, I have seen a few Jews in passing but I haven't had a conversation with a Jewish person unless they were Jewish and I didn't know.
Original post by blacklevi
Mianstream European Judaism (Talmud) promotes discrimination against black Jews and therefore since the Atlantic slave trade those black Israelites have been oppressed.
Many Black Israelites are in West Africa and their practice is very different to modern Jewry. I for one am of Ghanaian origin and Jewish (practicing) and I live in the UK, I know many more black Jews in the UK.
Why do you think Jews are all white? What colour do you think the Egyptians were?

Sorry how does Rabbinic Judaism promote racism against Black people since mainstream Judaism is an universal religion open to all people regardless of race
Original post by Psyk
I had an argument with a friend the other day. He didn't believe me that it's possible to be a black jewish muslim. I still think it is. This thread has established that there are black jews, and being a jew is an ethnicity, not just a religion. So if a black jew became a muslim, he would still be a jew, just not of the jewish religion. Am I right? He also challenged me to find an example of a black jewish muslim. So is anyone here a black jew who joined Islam?

Yes he would still be Jewish just an apostate
Reply 64
yes, where the mother is Jewish and the father is black.

There are a few black Jewish people dotted around, but you wouldn't go round asking every black person if they were Jewish.
Original post by Sternumator
I am not an expert but I don't think it is possible to be a black jewish muslim. If you are black then you are not an ethnic jew. You can be black and follow judaism so you are jewish but if you do not follow judaism then you don't have any ties to the jews.

Rubbish no such thing as an "ethnic Jew" a Jew is a Jew no matter what his skin colour is
Reply 66
Original post by ttx
Yes. It was quite notable at the time for the contrast, a constituency where the electorate was heavily poor, non-black, male and muslim elected a middle-class black female jew.

I doubt they even realised she was jewish :rofl:
Original post by WhatIsAUsername?
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen or know any black jews. I have yet to come across one, nor have I seen any.

I'm a black jew.

Edit: wow I get neg rep for saying that, tsr is a really racist community and I wonder which racist ***** negged me for being a black jew.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by pinklego
apparently to be jewish your mother has to be jewish so people who convert are not really accepted.

That's just apparently but not what the reality is/ Abraham the first convert to Judaism according to Jewish tradition was Hebrew from his mother and his father yet he was the first convert his parents were not Jews because they did not convert. Judaism is a confession nothing to do with race and mother gene/bloodline. It's being Hebrew that might require your mother to be Hebrew and that's were the whole confusion lies.
Reply 69
Original post by Matthew12
Rubbish no such thing as an "ethnic Jew" a Jew is a Jew no matter what his skin colour is

There's no such think as ethnic Jew, there's simple confusion between people of Hebraic descent and and the confession/ faith they adhere to in majority. Nor even the Hebrew language is an Afro-Semitic language which means even son Afro are od Semitic origin..The Lembas for instance in the Southern Africa are direct descendant of Moise and Zephorah his African wife.
Reply 70
Original post by Dragonfly07
There are many ethiopian Jews. They claimed to be a lost tribe of Israel and DNA tests confirmed that they share many genes with other Jews. I went to schools in Israel that had about 20% ethiopians in them and now Israel has many sudanese people too.

Other than that I know of several Nigerian Jews from London who converted from Christianity.

Please if you know any Nigerian personally let me know how to contact them we are doing a documentary soon on the Black Jews in in the UK Thanks
Nope - or at least I don't know whether those people are Jewish :redface:
Reply 72
Please check this British artist who is black and Jew https://twitter.com/sevlesaved

Latest

Trending

Trending