Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey another university first year question any help is appreciated, have tried everything!!

http://i45.tinypic.com/2it0cpy.jpg

the answer is (masspion)^2 + (mass(u)^2)/ 2(masspion)

thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by equinox3o0o)
    hey another university first year question any help is appreciated, have tried everything!!

http://i45.tinypic.com/2it0cpy.jpg

the answer is (masspion)^2 + (mass(u)^2)/ 2(masspion)

thanks!!
    Which part are you stuck on? If it is a), start with time dilation.
    For b), consider the reference frame of the particle that would result in the total energy being 140MeV, and the momentum of the resulting particles having a net momentum of 0.

A further hint is in the spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Show
    A pion decays at rest

ReputationRep:
    so wait, a pion decays at rest?:O why does it say thats its travelling at a speed 0.93c so shouldnt its energy be gamma*m*c*c i.e its rest energy + kinetic energy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematician!)
    Which part are you stuck on? If it is a), start with time dilation.
    For b), consider the reference frame of the particle that would result in the total energy being 140MeV, and the momentum of the resulting particles having a net momentum of 0.

A further hint is in the spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Show
    A pion decays at rest
    just wanted to quote
    read my reply above please thanks

ReputationRep:
    hmm to my luck i typed in to google the question and they have a step by step solution but the one thing i cant quite understand is why there is no quantity dictating the momentum of the neutrino in the full E^2 version of the equation, all it says is E(u)^2= (P(u)c)^2 + (rest mass of pion)^2. Shouldnt there also be a CP term for the momentum of the neutrino?

ReputationRep:
    this it the website btw http://teachers.web.cern.ch/teachers...servation1.htm

i dont get the part where it asks to subtract E(u) from 2.3 to give the total energy of muon

ReputationRep:
    so wait, a pion decays at rest?:O why does it say thats its travelling at a speed 0.93c so shouldnt its energy be gamma*m*c*c i.e its rest energy + kinetic energy
    You have to consider the inertial reference frame for the pion, so it travelling at 0.93c is insignificant for the pion (but not for it's decay products!)

ReputationRep:
    hmm to my luck i typed in to google the question and they have a step by step solution but the one thing i cant quite understand is why there is no quantity dictating the momentum of the neutrino in the full E^2 version of the equation, all it says is E(u)^2= (P(u)c)^2 + (rest mass of pion)^2. Shouldnt there also be a CP term for the momentum of the neutrino?
    Which step in their working is this from (i.e. (2.x))?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.