Turn on thread page Beta

Dating in Uni, some questions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Im starting Uni in october (unconditional), which I'm really excited about.
    While Im excited about the prospect of finally moving away from home, I did find it worrying that 98% of the population is white while the rest is made of ethnic minorities. This isnt the biggest problem ofc, most of my mates are white, and the first girl I liked was also caucasian. I am asian by the way (east Indian).

Ive never really been allowed to date before, and most contact I had with girls were in 6th form, where even if a girl did like me Id usually choke at the last minute and completely blow my opportunities. Thus my first issue is whether girls are different at university, and whether this new sense of freedom is likely to make me better with the ladies.

The thing I have an issue with is, because most of the student body is caucasian, whether they would have any interest in dating me. I'm not really religious (though I am interested in all religions on a theological level) and though my skin is dark, I wouldn't say Im bad looking. Some people think I look like Kal Penn (the guy from Harold and Kumar) but honestly would dating an indian be a turn off for women, even considering he wasn't fresh off the boat ? I don't really want to be loner and useless with women because of this obstacle. As well as academic, Id like to experience university life properly by dating, and would this really be possible for someone like me especially in a uni with a predominantly Caucasian range of girls ?

tl;dr : Asian, useless with women needs tips on how to date in predominantly Caucasian girls at university .

all help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    work on your 'inner game' :pimp: [google is your friend]

ReputationRep:
    women hate all men equally. unless you can prove yourself to be a player. then you are adored.

ReputationRep:
    I think there will be more than 2% of ethnic miniorites more like 40% ? alot of internation students come well at york they do.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that everyone is different. Some white girls don't go for Asians, whilst some will prefer Asians, but I'm sure that many will just not mind about race at all and just like you for you. I'm not good with dating, so that's all I have to offer at the moment, hopefully others will chime in with help.

ReputationRep:
    Mate read the one million other threads with Indian guys saying "OMG White girls hate me" - use search you'll find millions of threads.

Hopefully two things you'll glean from them:
    1) If you're bad with women anyway, uni won't necessarily improve that but might a bit.
    2) Are you seriously saying you've never seen an asian guy with a white/chinese/whatever girl?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I really don't think that your ethnic background will have much affect on how women perceive you...unless university suddenly changes the entire world :giggle: a lot of people have a lot of anxieties about dating before they've had experience with it...you'll be fine once you're more comfortable with the idea and get some experience :yes: no need to worry

ReputationRep:
    haha you can easily tell this is not an ASIAN guy writing..sod off.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.