Average First time buyer deposit 29k!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Where on earth are we going to find that!?! :P

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8454455.stm

ReputationRep:
    by working

ReputationRep:
    Well you're being stupid now, once you graduate (assuming you go uni) you'll comfortably earn that much within 3 years after working in your degree related work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romeo786)
    Well you're being stupid now, once you graduate (assuming you go uni) you'll comfortably earn that much within 3 years after working in your degree related work...
    And how much of those earnings do you realistically expect you'll be able to save? Not 29k that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    This is not new. Such conditions were the norm throughout the seventies.

ReputationRep:
    This used to be the norm. The larger your deposit, the better the mortgage deal you can get usually is. I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that this is new, nor shocking, but certainly means that it will be many, many years before my boyfriend and I will be purchasing property. :p:

ReputationRep:
    The housing prospects for this generation are terrible imo, my parents paid 58k for their first house which was a 3 bed detatched house and they got 120% mortgate at the age of 20. 15 years later and you need half of that just for a deposit so not fair

ReputationRep:
    Its not new but scares me half to death when im engaged and want to be married in about 3/4 years, and have kids in 5/6 years. The bit about being 37 to own your first home with no parental backing scares me the most. supose you either have a wedding/children or you buy a house...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romeo786)
    My mum could aford to own a house when she wasin Uni so you're saying that we have to wait 6/7/8 years longer than they had to? And then you're saying the OP is being stupid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    My mum could aford to own a house when she wasin Uni so you're saying that we have to wait 6/7/8 years longer than they had to? And then you're saying the OP is being stupid?
    yes they are because you are being selective and choosing a brief period when money was freely available (and see where it has got us). Historically you had to be saving with a building society for several years before they would even consider you for a mortgage and also the most they would lend was 80% of the price. This certainly applied throughout the 70s and early 80s.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.