Turn on thread page Beta

Mourning for pets? watch

ReputationRep:
    So on the radio the other day they were discussing mourning for deceased pets. A guy was interviewed saying along the lines that its rediculous that we mourn our pets once they are gone and a woman argued the opposite. So whats everyone elses opinion?
    Personally i hate the " we are stewards and must rule over animals, they serve a purpose to us " which seemed to be the guys main view.
    So discuss...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know i'd probably try find a balance between the two sides. I mean, I have a dog and it's near enough part of the family, I'l be pretty gutted when it's brown bread. I wont exactly be having a burial service for it though.

ReputationRep:
    My pet dog had cancer & had to be put down. I cried leading up to it, on the day, and for about 2 days after.
    I loved her/it immensly, but once gone I guess I had to get on with it and so I did.
    I still think about it/her but like I said, once gone theres nothing I can do about it.

It's not ridiculous to mourn them, they are a part of the family and some people have grown up with theirs, therefore it's all they have ever known.
    Animals do serve a purpose, whether that be for food or for companionship. Either way, there is no right or wrong answer and it clearly depends on peoples own beliefs and opinions.

RIP MY DOG :cry:
    Ha, I'm such a 'wet blanket'.

ReputationRep:
    I know that when my Dog dies I'll be mortified, solely because he has been more than a pet/animal to my whole family. He has been a staple part of my home growing up, always around, witnessed and experienced my changing/growing family and grown up alongside my little Sister. I know how soft this sounds and some people may think it sounds silly as there's no way to communicate with him but the amount of times I've felt comforted/not alone because of my dog is insane. I love walking him, training him and have had many happy hours looking after him. He also provides security for our family as he is protective, whilst being a complete softie.

I suppose it depends on the individual/pet... if the relationship is distant or a working relationship, perhaps there isn't that bond there. I know all of my friends/family who have ever lost loved pets have mourned them as they see fit. Some being/feeling sad but moving on, others taking a long time to get over it.

I think it's up to the person how they choose to deal with it. I don't agree that animals are just serving a purpose but I can understand how people deal with their deaths.

I love my doggy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    I know that when my Dog dies I'll be mortified, solely because he has been more than a pet/animal to my whole family. He has been a staple part of my home growing up, always around, witnessed and experienced my changing/growing family and grown up alongside my little Sister. I know how soft this sounds and some people may think it sounds silly as there's no way to communicate with him but the amount of times I've felt comforted/not alone because of my dog is insane. I love walking him, training him and have had many happy hours looking after him. He also provides security for our family as he is protective, whilst being a complete softie.

I suppose it depends on the individual/pet... if the relationship is distant or a working relationship, perhaps there isn't that bond there. I know all of my friends/family who have ever lost loved pets have mourned them as they see fit. Some being/feeling sad but moving on, others taking a long time to get over it.

I think it's up to the person how they choose to deal with it. I don't agree that animals are just serving a purpose but I can understand how people deal with their deaths.

I love my doggy!!
    This is unbelievably cute :love:
    Repped!

ReputationRep:
    I'm unbelievably attached to all three of my pets. Lottie and Tom (cats) and Tilly (my tortoise). I'm dreading my cats dying so much, even though they're not THAT old yet. They know me really well, like when I'm feeling ill or sad they will come and sit with me. I've trained my tortoise to follow me around, but I'm not worried about her dying because she'll hopefully outlive me. The first tortoise I had was ill when we got it (we didn't know at the time) and died after 1 month of having her. I was 13. I cried for days and I still get upset about it sometimes now, 5 years on. My pets are DEFINITELY a part of my family.

ReputationRep:
    finally people who feel the same as i do! I actually feel sorry for people who wont let the amazing relationship any animal can bring you in because they really are missing out! I would rather wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to my animals because we shouldnt be ashamed that we have witnessed something like a miracle! Sorry if i am ranting on but it really astounds me when people have no interest in interacting with animals!

Whats the best moment everyone has shared with their pet/s ?

I think mine was when our horse that had been badly treat and associated humans with pain finally trusted me to stroke him

ReputationRep:
    Well, I had my cat from the age of 2, until I was 16, and she was 18. Maybe because I'd had her from such a young age, I was immensely close to her, and she'd always know when I was upset...but in Jan of the year she died we were told she was terminally ill, though we were given meds to force down her 3 times a day, to hold it off. I realised how unhappy this force-feeding was making her, what a good life she'd had, and decided to stop them. Then something amazing happened - she stopped showing any signs of illness whatsoever. I was so happy!

But then 4 months later, she became really ill and had to be put down a few days later. I hadn't known what to expect, but I was utterly devastated - as in couldn't eat, couldn't actually do anything. For the first few days, I remember just staring into space. Whatever I'd expected, it wouldn't have been this. I had to kind of bury it all though, as I had serious exams that month, but after that exams it all came out at once, and I was crying every night. All in all, I'd say it took me around 6/7 months to 'get over' it. Even two years on, I don't feel comfortable when family members talk about her !

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a white rabbit, but it got killed by a local cat. I buried it in the park, under a willow tree.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm probably closer to our cats than some family members so yeah it makes perfect sense to mourn them. When the first cat I'd ever had (family had him before I was born) died when I was about 12 I was pretty upset. I don't like to think what I'll be like when "my cat" dies, not good I can guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotpot)
    So on the radio the other day they were discussing mourning for deceased pets. A guy was interviewed saying along the lines that its rediculous that we mourn our pets once they are gone and a woman argued the opposite. So whats everyone elses opinion?
    Personally i hate the " we are stewards and must rule over animals, they serve a purpose to us " which seemed to be the guys main view.
    So discuss...
    when u sat the other day, do u mean a couple hours ago on 5 live ?
    yeah well animals are apparently lower beings than humans, but i would cry if my husky died, or my border collie, or my sister lol

ReputationRep:
    This is probably one of the few things that make me wary of getting pets when I'm older.

ReputationRep:
    !

Whats the best moment everyone has shared with their pet/s ?

I always laugh when I am first into the living room in the morning and my dog is lying on it's back on the couch with all 4 paws up in the air :p: It's so weird to see a dog lying on it's back but it looks so relaxed and peaceful without a care in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Singh)
    when u sat the other day, do u mean a couple hours ago on 5 live ?
    yeah well animals are apparently lower beings than humans, but i would cry if my husky died, or my border collie, or my sister lol
    Yeh i think that was it lol i laughed at the end when the guy got shot down completely. Well in the sense of advanced species and technology we are above other animals but i hate it when people think we are better, look what were doing to the world and how we treat each other, i dont see any other species single handedly killing their only home

ReputationRep:
    My dog was a part of my family, I grew up with him there, I was very very sad when he died.

So in short, I don't think it's ridiculous to mourn pets. :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeh i think that was it lol i laughed at the end when the guy got shot down completely. Well in the sense of advanced species and technology we are above other animals but i hate it when people think we are better, look what were doing to the world and how we treat each other, i dont see any other species single handedly killing their only home
    exactlyyy, omg ur amazing, marry me. u lisen to 5 live so u got to be cool :kissing2: i think evoloution should have stopped at neanderthals..

ReputationRep:
    My cat died when it was 15, I was 17 so i basically grew up with it.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay if you miss them a bit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    I always laugh when I am first into the living room in the morning and my dog is lying on it's back on the couch with all 4 paws up in the air :p: It's so weird to see a dog lying on it's back but it looks so relaxed and peaceful without a care in the world
    dogs running full pelt into a glass door/window is the best thing ever! never seems to hurt my dog though, she has done it around 4 times in the 5 years shes been in alive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom Bug)
    My cat died when it was 15, I was 17 so i basically grew up with it.
    :'[ my 2 alsatians ran away when I was 12, i grew up with them, we found one run over and the other never returned :'[

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.