Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    franky and bruno omg they were the coolest friends ever

ReputationRep:
    I think it's all about the bond you have with the pet.. I've had hamsters and fish in the past that really meant nothing to me, so I didn't mourn them at all.
    My dog, however.. she died in October and I still cry about her, is that sad? :/
    I just miss everything associated with her; her quirky personality, loving nature, the way she'd practically kill my legs by sleeping on the end of my bed.. the way she'd run around the garden in a figure of 8 shape, and then trot back inside looking all proud of herself for ruining the grass.. :L .. the way she'd get jealous and jump in on any hugs, the way her jowls swelled up when she ate bees.. :L
    If someone told me I was idiotic for mourning her death, I'd have no qualms about smacking them across the face. I had such a strong bond with that silly dog..
    R.I.P Dottie.. <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Singh)
    exactlyyy, omg ur amazing, marry me. u lisen to 5 live so u got to be cool :kissing2: i think evoloution should have stopped at neanderthals..
    Ha ha yes but then we wouldnt be here lol unless you mean we should live as neanderthals ha ha have you ever read wolf brother and the rest of the book series, that sums up everything we should be like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotpot)
    Ha ha yes but then we wouldnt be here lol unless you mean we should live as neanderthals ha ha have you ever read wolf brother and the rest of the book series, that sums up everything we should be like!
    :yep: indeedy x

ReputationRep:
    I spent a week at a vets but spent it mostly in consultations and watching people be told their pets would have to be put down was hard, you don't realise how attached you are to your pets until they go. I cried for ages when my dog was put down, because I grew up with him and he like my other dogs are almost part of the family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I spent a week at a vets but spent it mostly in consultations and watching people be told their pets would have to be put down was hard, you don't realise how attached you are to your pets until they go. I cried for ages when my dog was put down, because I grew up with him and he like my other dogs are almost part of the family.
    i would say they are a part of the family after 3-4 years.:o:

ReputationRep:
    i would say they are a part of the family after 3-4 years.:o:
    Well they are as close to family as non-human beings can get :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think it depends... I had a bazillion pets growing up, and if I'd gone into mourning every time a sodding guinea pig died then I'd be the most depressed person in the universe. On the other hand, I got my cat when I was 2 and she died when I was 21, so I figure I was allowed to be a bit upset.

ReputationRep:
    exactlyyy, omg ur amazing, marry me. u lisen to 5 live so u got to be cool :kissing2: i think evoloution should have stopped at neanderthals..
    Hi, just wanted to point out to you, we aren't actually evolved from neanderthals (homo neanderthalensis) - just as we aren't evolved from apes. Instead, homo sapiens does indeed share a common ancestor with these species, but from that ancestor we have very different clades (the branches such as in a family tree from this ancestor).

Despite neanderthals actually being taller, bulkier and indeed smarter than us at the time, our (homo sapiens) social abilities was extensively superior to theirs. They actually died out, approximately 26,000 years ago. Sorry to point out a somewhat "trivial" matter, but I hope you can appreciate that I do this in purpose of educating you, rather than what may be perceived to be correction. However, I sense you are intelligent enough to realise this, particularly as you seemingly as your post indicates have accepted evolution as scientific fact and appear to be a well rounded individual.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how you are with your pets. But it's definitely not ridiculous to be upset. They're a part of the family. I dread they day our dogs go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoutsider840)
    Hi, just wanted to point out to you, we aren't actually evolved from neanderthals (homo neanderthalensis) - just as we aren't evolved from apes. Instead, homo sapiens does indeed share a common ancestor with these species, but from that ancestor we have very different clades (the branches such as in a family tree from this ancestor).

Despite neanderthals actually being taller, bulkier and indeed smarter than us at the time, our (homo sapiens) social abilities was extensively superior to theirs. They actually died out, approximately 26,000 years ago. Sorry to point out a somewhat "trivial" matter, but I hope you can appreciate that I do this in purpose of educating you, rather than what may be perceived to be correction. However, I sense you are intelligent enough to realise this, particularly as you seemingly as your post indicates have accepted evolution as scientific fact and appear to be a well rounded individual.
    Ha ha i never knew that about us and neanderthals but i did about apes and common ancestors i really hate when people say we descended from apes!!! But hasnt our social ability brought us into this mess, living in such large "colonies" with free speech and thought to an extent and also global interaction driven us to become dependant on our modern world beliefs and to forget about the past and what other species can show us, i think in effect we are living in our own little world the way we have driven out nature and defyed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    I know that when my Dog dies I'll be mortified, solely because he has been more than a pet/animal to my whole family. He has been a staple part of my home growing up, always around, witnessed and experienced my changing/growing family and grown up alongside my little Sister. I know how soft this sounds and some people may think it sounds silly as there's no way to communicate with him but the amount of times I've felt comforted/not alone because of my dog is insane. I love walking him, training him and have had many happy hours looking after him. He also provides security for our family as he is protective, whilst being a complete softie.

I suppose it depends on the individual/pet... if the relationship is distant or a working relationship, perhaps there isn't that bond there. I know all of my friends/family who have ever lost loved pets have mourned them as they see fit. Some being/feeling sad but moving on, others taking a long time to get over it.

I think it's up to the person how they choose to deal with it. I don't agree that animals are just serving a purpose but I can understand how people deal with their deaths.

I love my doggy!!
    No you won't be. Why would you be embarased if your dog dies? Look up the word.

ReputationRep:
    I believe we are stewards of the world too, which means we can use but should also protect and look after all the resources and creatures... that's a ridiculous argument to use for not caring about them/not mourning them.

A lot of people believe rodents are not worth mourning over, but I have to say - my previous 3 hamsters and 1 Steppe Lemming have been just as special to me as Rodney (cat) currently is. They are so full of personality it's insane for such a tiny creature and the bonds I developed with them over their short 2.5 years each were unbelievable. Certainly I would never have believed it until I lived it. I will never, ever forget the day I put Pompadour to sleep, I was crushed for weeks. I still visit his grave from time to time...
    He had as much personality as some people do.

ReputationRep:
    a dog in the family just disappeared, it was old, they'd had it for ten years +. so yeah i was sad but didn't mourn. if my nan's cat dies who we've also had for 9 years or so i'd be sad tbh. but i wouldn't grieve really..for too long
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I've had my rabbit most of my life (a vague interpretation of most...she's 8 I'm 18...the first few years of your life don't really count :p: ) and she's getting old now...I know I'll be really upset when she's gone...not sure how I'll react though I never really mourn...but weirdly I think I'll be more upset about losing her than any of my relatives who've died I see her everyday and she's a big part of my life and my routine so there'd be a noticeable gap if she wasn't there :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotpot)
    Ha ha i never knew that about us and neanderthals but i did about apes and common ancestors i really hate when people say we descended from apes!!! But hasnt our social ability brought us into this mess, living in such large "colonies" with free speech and thought to an extent and also global interaction driven us to become dependant on our modern world beliefs and to forget about the past and what other species can show us, i think in effect we are living in our own little world the way we have driven out nature and defyed it.
    :yes: Glad to be of service - afterall the purpose of my post was to be educational.

From your response, I somewhat agree with some points, and disagree with others. I would agree that the modern world that humans have constucted through our intelligence is unsustainable, and by the looks of things on an environmental level, will contribute to our (somewhat imminent...that is to say next few hundred years) extinction. I would agree we have somewhat defied nature - just look to the likes of IVF treatment, technological advances, development of civilisations etc. Whilst elements of these are beneficial, we have somewhat risen over nature, and particularly the growth of civilisations has lead to public ignorance and as you conveyed, a disregard for the past and consideration of other species.

The major area in which I disagree with your post was in saying that our social ability somewhat lead us into this mess. I think a lot of factors have contributed such as birth rate going beyond means of sustainability and generally creating a culture of progressively getting what we want. Also, our natural curiosity has lead us to constantly try and discover new things (ie scientific development) and by trying to make our lives better and easier, we've just moved too quickly, disregarding the consequences of our actions. Only now are we seeing the consequences in the natural world. This is an example of a knock on effect of having a large intelligence (the curiosity, desire to learn) which followed.

Our social abilities enabled us to rise above our competitors and by the process of natural selection ultimately survive to this day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoutsider840)

Ahh i thought it was something like that but wasn't too clear on it:rolleyes:
    Thanks for science lesson. I am happy to learn new things every day and dont worry I will take it as a correction because I was wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    Well they are as close to family as non-human beings can get :p:
    I lost my 2 Alsatians on the same day after having them for 12 years, felt like i lost my brothers.

ReputationRep:
    When I was 12, my pet rabbits died.. I still get sad thinking about it.

I find mourning for pets completely fine. We loved them dearly and to part with them is incredibly hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    No you won't be. Why would you be embarased if your dog dies? Look up the word.
    Synonyms:
    1. subdue, restrain. 2. humble, abase. 3. humiliate, pain.

Yes, mortified can mean to be embarrassed/humiliated but it can also mean to be hurt/upset.

Apologies if I've used it in the wrong context...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.